Re: [new_distillers] Flavourings

  • Brad McMahon
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2001
      Tom Johnson wrote:

      > second my question is about essences. if you distill tequilla using the specific
      > cactus as you mash and distill it shouldnt it be flavoured like tequilla or do
      > most distillers just make pure alcohol and then flavour it later with a additive
      > to seem like a tequilla ?
      > tj

      Are you talking about amateur or commercial distillers?

      I saw an article on TV yesterday about the rising price of
      agave cactus. A few years ago it was worth a few cents
      a kilogram. There is a shortage now and the price has
      risen to US$1.50 a kilogram.
      They were worried that because of the cost the quality
      of tequila will drop dramatically and become the cheap hooch
      it was years ago rather than the complex drink it is today.
    • ebarker@eoncc.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 11, 2001
        With the shortage of agave, the upgrading of Tequila's being no
        longer cut with grain alcohols, and the excess disposable money
        in the aging baby boomer generation, Tequila prices will increase
        and the product will become more of a high end speciality item
        like the premium Scotch's. According to the laws of supply and
        demand and a friend of mine that is the president of a chain of
        mexican restaurants.

        --- In new_distillers@egroups.com, Brad McMahon <brad@s...> wrote:

        > Tom Johnson wrote:
        >

        > > second my question is about essences. if you distill tequilla
        using the specific
        > > cactus as you mash and distill it shouldnt it be flavoured like
        tequilla or do
        > > most distillers just make pure alcohol and then flavour it later
        with a additive
        > > to seem like a tequilla ?
        > > tj
        >
        > Are you talking about amateur or commercial distillers?
        >
        > I saw an article on TV yesterday about the rising price of
        > agave cactus. A few years ago it was worth a few cents
        > a kilogram. There is a shortage now and the price has
        > risen to US$1.50 a kilogram.
        > They were worried that because of the cost the quality
        > of tequila will drop dramatically and become the cheap hooch
        > it was years ago rather than the complex drink it is today.
      • Matt
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 11, 2001
          On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 03:33:55AM -0000, ebarker@... wrote:

          > With the shortage of agave, the upgrading of Tequila's being no
          > longer cut with grain alcohols, and the excess disposable money
          > in the aging baby boomer generation, Tequila prices will increase
          > and the product will become more of a high end speciality item
          > like the premium Scotch's. According to the laws of supply and
          > demand and a friend of mine that is the president of a chain of
          > mexican restaurants.

          in spite of all the disposable income of Yanquis and the problems with
          agave plants contracting diseases there apparently will be a bumper crop
          sometime around '08. there are many new plantings in the ground now.
          2-12 months later, it will be Reposado time!

          Matthew @ psibercom