harvestin' yeast

  • wilsonbrandon97
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2008
      Howdy Ya'll. My name is Brandon, yall can call me Brad. I was wonderin,
      Im gettin into the art of Moonshinin (cause if Obama gets elected the
      taxes on my family will increase and this aint doing very well for us)
      and I wan wonderin if any of ya'll knew how to harvest your own yeast?
      I know how to make mash but not yeats. I have a 1 gallon still but I
      havent used it yet due to not sealing the spaces and making it
      airtight. and I dont have any yeats to make the mash with. Can ya'll
      please help? Thanks! Id be much obliged.(southern way of saying id be
      very grateful)

      Brandon
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008

        Hello Brandon,

        Welcome Aboard here at New Distillers.  I believe we can help ya out with harvesting your own yeast - however, it depends on what strain you want to harvest.  There are many ways to re-harvest and culture your own yeast strains.

        There are many articles and links, along with postings here on how to do it.  But again, you need to decide which strain(s) you want to culture.  What I would do is go to the Info Base on the left side here located in the Links and Database sections and look at the Yeast topics.

        I also suggest going to Dr. M.B. Raines discussion on Yeast Culturing at:

        http://maltosefalcons.com/tech/MB_Raines_Guide_to_Yeast_Culturing.php

        and read up on it.

        Welcome Aboard again and please feel free to ask any questions you may have.  We have a weath of Info between our members, Postings and Topics available here.

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim.    (Co-Moderator along with Mason, Trid, Riku and of course Harry the Owner of this group and Advanced Distillers)

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008

          Sidenote:   (AND YES - this is off-topic)

          Brad, I think Obama would stand a chance if he gets  MS. Hillery as a VP, but if John McCain gets Rice for his VP - then it might be a pretty close race....

          However, even though I am not predudice against race, creed or color,  I sincerely doubt America is ready for a Black (Muslem or such - as the Press is making him out to be) President as yet - but I still respect him highly.....

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim.

          (Me Grandma to me never to discuss Religion, Race or Politics) - guess i just broke 2 out of 3 - God forgive me - (oops - thats 3 or 3) ROTF........

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wilsonbrandon97"
          > wilsonbrandon97@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Howdy Ya'll. My name is Brandon, yall can call me Brad. I was
          > wonderin,
          > > Im gettin into the art of Moonshinin (cause if Obama gets elected the
          > > taxes on my family will increase and this aint doing very well for us)
          > > and I wan wonderin if any of ya'll knew how to harvest your own yeast?
          > > I know how to make mash but not yeats. I have a 1 gallon still but I
          > > havent used it yet due to not sealing the spaces and making it
          > > airtight. and I dont have any yeats to make the mash with. Can ya'll
          > > please help? Thanks! Id be much obliged.(southern way of saying id be
          > > very grateful)
          > >

          > > Brandon

        • rye_junkie1
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008
            <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

            > Sidenote: (AND YES - this is off-topic)
            >
            > Brad, I think Obama would stand a chance if he gets MS. Hillery as a
            > VP, but if John McCain gets Rice for his VP - then it might be a pretty
            > close race....
            >
            > However, even though I am not predudice against race, creed or color, I
            > sincerely doubt America is ready for a Black (Muslem or such - as the
            > Press is making him out to be) President as yet - but I still respect
            > him highly.....
            >
            > Vino es Veritas,
            >
            > Jim.
            >
            > (Me Grandma to me never to discuss Religion, Race or Politics) - guess i
            > just broke 2 out of 3 - God forgive me - (oops - thats 3 or 3)
            > ROTF........

            Damn Jim, Throw in Global Warming and You may just have to Moderate
            yerself.

            Mason
          • burrows206
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008
              Hi Jim,
              My Gran said " You leave 4 things at her door (and mine for that
              matter)
              When you come a callin' no matter who you are you leave, your
              hat, your coat, politics and your religion which was quite something
              for the last two things in N.Ireland. I've lived by that especially
              through the flower power era where it meshed in quite nicely for the
              times
              But things got hairy when I married a gal from the other side of
              the fence (and was only given 6 months for it to last by her parents
              and mine) but 33 years later we are still together taking the "Mick"
              out of each other every day and laughing at each other.
              Geoff