New stuff

  • headsmashedin
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2008
      I have myself a new keg setup. It has one 1500 watt element. Took me
      two hours to heat up and begin a strip run. Too much power, I guess as
      my condenser could not handle it. This was a strip run with packing
      removed and just a 12" column. Would it help if I ran my whole column
      (1 meter) with packing in place? Would this slow things enough? I have
      not done a spirit run with this system yet.

      I figure I need to drop down to a 1000 watt element? Or perhaps a way
      to control the wattage to my 1500 watt? What you think?

      Heads
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2008
        Hey Heads,

        First off, How big a volume is your keg? If it took 2 hours just to
        heat up, must be quite a few liters. Also your looking at it in reverse
        - for a stripping run you need the most power from you heating
        element(s) you can get get (Not "Too Much Power"). Stripping runs
        should be run fast and get as much of that ethanoly stuff you can get -
        maybe down to like 15% or when the ABV does not equal the heating costs.

        And yes - take everything out of you column, and turn the reflux off for
        a stripping run - will speed things up. Just make sure your final
        condenser will handle it (meaning not the reflux condenser). Make sure
        the distillate is comming out cool - not warm or hot, otherwise the
        Angels will be having a ball hehe.

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "headsmashedin"
        <headsmashedin@...> wrote:

        > I have myself a new keg setup. It has one 1500 watt element. Took me
        > two hours to heat up and begin a strip run. Too much power, I guess as
        > my condenser could not handle it. This was a strip run with packing
        > removed and just a 12" column. Would it help if I ran my whole column
        > (1 meter) with packing in place? Would this slow things enough? I have
        > not done a spirit run with this system yet.
        >
        > I figure I need to drop down to a 1000 watt element? Or perhaps a way
        > to control the wattage to my 1500 watt? What you think?
        >

        > Heads

      • just me
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2008
          what is your rig? i have a ee2 from brewhaus with the 1100w burner and a 7.5 gallon keg. it takes me 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours to heat up with a packed column. try a stripping run first. you can then run one batch and it will run a lot faster in a packed column. i tried this last week. next i am going to combine 2 batches.

          just me
          "Monster trucks are for people who don't understand wrestling"
            - Red Green
        • headsmashedin
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2008
            My setup is a 15.5 gallon keg. I had 12 gallons of wash in it. I was
            over running my off-set style condenser. So, I cut power and let things
            cool off a bit. I changed heads. I went to a pot still setup with a 2-
            1/2 foot lieburg condenser. I adjusted it to near a horizontal position
            and things worked great. I took near three gallons of stripate as I
            stopped taking at 198F.

            As I said, I hope when I begin the spirit run using my off-set head, I
            do not have the same trouble.

            Running with full length column (1 meter) with packing, same 1500w
            heating element, I won't have these high temps at the top as I did in
            my strip run, correct? Thanks again
          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 3, 2008
              <headsmashedin@...> wrote:

              > I have myself a new keg setup. It has one 1500 watt element. Took me
              > two hours to heat up and begin a strip run. Too much power, I guess as
              > my condenser could not handle it. This was a strip run with packing
              > removed and just a 12" column. Would it help if I ran my whole column
              > (1 meter) with packing in place? Would this slow things enough? I have
              > not done a spirit run with this system yet.
              >
              > I figure I need to drop down to a 1000 watt element? Or perhaps a way
              > to control the wattage to my 1500 watt? What you think?
              >

              > Heads

              Just fix another condenser for your rig. It doesn't cost that much to
              make a simple liebig that can hamdle some 2kW. Even better, you can
              build some of them more advanced condensers and be able to cool some
              4-6kW. Even air cooled condensers with fan assist can take 2kW easily.

              Oh yes, 1 meter of 2" column will condense some 200W worth of heat
              with natural convection.

              Cheers, Riku