Re: a jug question...

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2008

      Hi Rider,

      While those old clay jugs were the symbol of moonshine back in their day, I would not consider it a fit aging or storage vessel today.  There is no telling what was stored in it and what off-tastes may  be imparted to your product.  The interiors were not glazed and clay (even kiln dried) is still somewhat pourous.

      I had 3 of em, but used em for what their best for - saving your change.  You might want to put 3 XXX on it and keep it next to your still for a conversation piece.....  Glass is the way to go, and if you save up enough change, you should go out and get a 4 -5 gallon (or liter) charred oak keg for really storing and aging your hootch (if your making the flavored stuff).

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim.