a jug question...

  • rdy4u2rideallnite
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
      today the wife went to some yard salesand found a clay jugg looking
      simular to the oldstyle whiskey runner or moonshine jugs.... theres no
      markings or name on it....it holds just 4 3/4 quarts. {i measured with
      water} so.... my question.. if its clean is there anything dangerouse i
      need to look for or be aware of if i were to use this as a storage
      container?
      thank you in advance for your info and responses
    • just me
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
        you want to be real careful. they used lead in the glaze. you can buy a lead test that comes with a patch to test. some of the test tell you to scrape part of it.

        just me.
        Hurra for the humble yeast, It makes the poor man feel like a king, And harlots look like queens.
      • gff_stwrt
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
          Hi, folks,

          If you are talking about the closed jugs that have a cork in the
          small opening in the top; would they be glazed on the INSIDE?
          If not then I assume what's on the outside won't matter.

          Regards,

          The Baker

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi, folks,
            >
            > If you are talking about the closed jugs that have a cork in the
            > small opening in the top; would they be glazed on the INSIDE?
            > If not then I assume what's on the outside won't matter.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > The Baker
            >
            > yes baker i am a wondering if there is something on the inside that
            40%-50% alchohol would break down and do damage to the inards of
            those that inbibe the contents there of.....hehehehehe

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "just me" <hifa222@...> wrote:

              > you want to be real careful. they used lead in the glaze. you can buy
              a lead test that comes with a patch to test. some of the test tell you
              to scrape part of it.

              > just me.
              > Hurra for the humble yeast, It makes the poor man feel like a king,
              And harlots look like queens.

              thank you...a lead test kit may be in order.....dont wanna end up as
              the romans did.....hehehehe
            • daddyman00126
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3, 2008
                Hello rdy4u2

                I have one statement that I feel needs to be said here.

                "If in doubt throw it out."

                The jug could be in good order. It could not have any cracks in the
                glase. It could not be made of lead based products. But why would you
                want to risk it. They are a great part of our history but lets leave
                the old jugs in history and buy new ones.

                Also you want to think about angels share. That cork on the top of
                that jug will let the angels have another share. For me those angels
                are drunk enough and I want to keep my share.

                You can do a google search for shoulder jugs or try stoneware
                shoulder jugs. There are a few folks out there that are making these
                just for our hobby. Plus you may want to start a new hobby and
                collect old stoneware shoulder jugs.

                Be safe dude not sorry.

                The best for last
                BILL1BURP

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rdy4u2rideallnite"

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 3, 2008

                  Hi Rider,

                  While those old clay jugs were the symbol of moonshine back in their day, I would not consider it a fit aging or storage vessel today.  There is no telling what was stored in it and what off-tastes may  be imparted to your product.  The interiors were not glazed and clay (even kiln dried) is still somewhat pourous.

                  I had 3 of em, but used em for what their best for - saving your change.  You might want to put 3 XXX on it and keep it next to your still for a conversation piece.....  Glass is the way to go, and if you save up enough change, you should go out and get a 4 -5 gallon (or liter) charred oak keg for really storing and aging your hootch (if your making the flavored stuff).

                  Vino es Veritas,

                  Jim.