Re: Looking for a boiler

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 2, 2008
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rehpotsirhcj"
      <rehpotsirhcj@...> wrote:

      > Couple more quick questions...
      > I finished the head today and began to look toward the recirc system.
      > I was thinking that I could freeze water in 5 or six milk jugs, place
      > them in a cooler, fill the remainder of the cooler with water, and then
      > use a submersible pump to circulate water through both the condenser
      > and the Liebig. I wonder if this would be sufficient? I'm not sure how
      > long I can expect a run to last, or how quickly I would loose my ice
      > to the returning warmer water. I tried the setup with an aquarium pump
      > today (because I already had a few) but it doesn't have enough umph to
      > move water to the top of the head from ground level. I'll use the
      > bildge pump as suggested. But it will have to wait until next week. I
      > think my wife may kill me when she finds out how much I've paid for
      > copper this weekend. :)
      > misc. questions:
      > how large diameter copper tube would you suggest for the reflux return?
      > What have you guys used to seal the thermometer at the top of the
      > column that wont compromise the product (I assume not rubber)? Seems
      > like soldering in a probe would destroy the thermometer.
      >
      > Thanks much,
      > Chris

      Hey Chris,
      I feel ya on the Price of Copper. I just picked up a 48 inch piece of
      1.5". 40 bucks. Hopefully the xtra 18" will get me to the 95% level.
      My other reason was that my pieced together column has a couple of
      solder gobs in it that prevented me from using scrubbers or structured
      packing. Still gonna try it with marbles first though.
      On your frozen jug idea. I think a lot of the guys that use recirc
      systems might employ this method or similar. It makes more sense to
      me however to use then 1 at a time. In my mind I think they would
      last longer. Keep an eye on the coolant temp. When it hits 100F or
      so change to a fresh jug. I have seen some illustrations in some
      books that run the water over a wash board that has a fan blowing on
      it. The idea I think being to spread the water out over a wide
      surface area to help cool it. I even saw a pic the other day where
      they were running the cooling through a radiator with a fan blowing
      over it. Again spreading the coolant out over a broad surface area.
      In a recent thread a guy had a set up that when the water was returned
      it went over a sheet the turned it into rain drops that again were fan
      cooled. Just throwing out some ideas. A Reflux Run for pure or close
      to pure etho will go at about 600ml-1L per hour. Plus an hour or so
      with the valve fully closed to equalize the column. A typical run of
      3 gallons of low wines for me goes about 12 hours.
      As far as sealing the thermometer. I used a rubber bung from the brew
      shop for a long time. The one in the top of my boiler lid is simple a
      .150" hole that the digital thermometer slip through and I seal it
      with the ever fool proof flour and water mixture. (called luting)
      The rubber bung worked great for me. I bought on with a hole in it
      and then screwed a compression fitting into it and again used flour
      and water or sometimes teflon tape. Never had a leak.

      Mason
    • gff_stwrt
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 2, 2008
        <rehpotsirhcj@...> wrote:

        > Couple more quick questions...
        > I finished the head today and began to look toward the recirc
        system.
        > I was thinking that I could freeze water in 5 or six milk jugs,
        place
        > them in a cooler, fill the remainder of the cooler with water, and
        then
        > use a submersible pump to circulate water through both the
        condenser
        > and the Liebig. I wonder if this would be sufficient? I'm not sure
        how
        > long I can expect a run to last, or how quickly I would loose my
        ice
        > to the returning warmer water. I tried the setup with an aquarium
        pump
        > today (because I already had a few) but it doesn't have enough umph
        to move water to the top of the head from ground level.

        snip

        > Thanks much,
        > Chris

        Hi, Chris, hi folks,

        Chris, there is a simple answer that may solve your problem, but
        first there is a question to answer;

        Do you have a garden or a swimming pool that needs water?
        If so, run the still on mains pressure and adjust your watering
        times/ pool filling times (and perhaps your distilling times) so that
        you can run a water outlet hose from the condenser to where you need
        water.
        No wasted water, no plumbing to do or pumps to buy and the garden
        will look better than ever with the extra attention.

        Regards,

        The Baker
      • rehpotsirhcj
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
          I think your right about the one jug at a time Mason. Thinking about
          it, you leave them in the freezer until you need them, the one jug in
          the cooler should keep the temp near freezing until its thawed out, and
          if not, then I guess it will be a quick thaw and I'll need another
          method :)

          did you use a 1/4 tube for the reflux return or?

          boy I'm getting close...

          Chris
        • jay lagasse
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
            Hey Chris.

            Just thought I'd leave another suggestion, in case you needed more.  On your thermometer hole, since you probably have some scraps of 1/4" od tubing leftover, here's the way I did mine:  I drilled the hole where the thermometer would go and I drilled it large enough to fit a piece of 1/4"  tubing.  I slipped a piece of tubing onto the probe of my thermometer and marked it where I intended to cut it.  I then cut and fit the tubing into that hole and soldered it into place.  The thermometer slips into that tube until it stops when the back side of it hits the end of the tube.  I made sure that the tube was the right legnth so that when the thermometer was fully inserted, the tip of the probe is centred on the tee where the steam goes to the head.  The thermometer slipped in a little too easy at first and I wanted it to be more snug, so a very slight bend in the tube took care of that.  Now, it slips in and sort of "locks" into place.  There is no leaking on mine but you should make sure that the probe doesn't  fit into the tubing too loosely or else leaking would occur.  It's just an idea if you want to to expiriment with it.

            As far as I'm concerned, 1/4" od tubing is perfect for a reflux tube.

            -Jay

            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
              Ohe never mind your wanting it for a boiler, well I would suggest just
              going to a beer store and buying a keg, driking or dumping out the beer
              and put on the attachments
            • burrows206
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                Hi Chris and Jay,
                Another more mechanical way to do it is get a quarter inch
                straight compression fitting, take one nut and compression ring off,
                now measure the diameter of the threaded end piece. Drill and tap a
                hole in the column wall where you intend to place your thermometer.
                the column wall will be, strong and thick enough to accept a very
                small thread (plenty for a small thermometer probe). Now screw in
                your quarter inch fitting untill it stops,( be careful and don't
                overtighten and wring the thread as you only have a little bit in
                the wall thickness) back off 2 turns, wrap some PTFE plumbers thread
                tape on the thread in same direction you tighten the fitting, tighten
                up slightly more than finger tight (nipped very slightly with pliers
                will sufice). This should seal it to the column wall.
                Now take off the other nut off the other end and get rid of the
                compression ring. Slip the compression nut over the probe then slide
                in your thermometer to exactly where you want it in the column. Now
                wrap about 20-25 turns of PTFE where the probe meets the compression
                fitting(or enough to make it bunch up and make a sealing compression
                ring of PTFE tape), slide the compression nut forward to the fitting
                threads now tighten up until the probe wont slip inside the fitting.
                You now have a perfectly gas tight seal that will take well over
                16-18 inch pressure on a water gauge
                Geoff