Re: Looking for a boiler

  • rehpotsirhcj
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 2, 2008
      Couple more quick questions...
      I finished the head today and began to look toward the recirc system.
      I was thinking that I could freeze water in 5 or six milk jugs, place
      them in a cooler, fill the remainder of the cooler with water, and then
      use a submersible pump to circulate water through both the condenser
      and the Liebig. I wonder if this would be sufficient? I'm not sure how
      long I can expect a run to last, or how quickly I would loose my ice
      to the returning warmer water. I tried the setup with an aquarium pump
      today (because I already had a few) but it doesn't have enough umph to
      move water to the top of the head from ground level. I'll use the
      bildge pump as suggested. But it will have to wait until next week. I
      think my wife may kill me when she finds out how much I've paid for
      copper this weekend. :)
      misc. questions:
      how large diameter copper tube would you suggest for the reflux return?
      What have you guys used to seal the thermometer at the top of the
      column that wont compromise the product (I assume not rubber)? Seems
      like soldering in a probe would destroy the thermometer.

      Thanks much,
      Chris

      > When I first started this Hobby I had a 5 gallon Recirc setup. Had no
      > idea at the time what i was doing and it was not efficient. I had
      > nothing to cool the water. However, For a pump I used a Bildge Pump
      > from Wal Mart. 20 bucks. Wire it to a 12v power supply from radio
      > shack and you have one hell of a pump.
      >
      > Mason

    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 2, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rehpotsirhcj"
        <rehpotsirhcj@...> wrote:

        > Couple more quick questions...
        > I finished the head today and began to look toward the recirc system.
        > I was thinking that I could freeze water in 5 or six milk jugs, place
        > them in a cooler, fill the remainder of the cooler with water, and then
        > use a submersible pump to circulate water through both the condenser
        > and the Liebig. I wonder if this would be sufficient? I'm not sure how
        > long I can expect a run to last, or how quickly I would loose my ice
        > to the returning warmer water. I tried the setup with an aquarium pump
        > today (because I already had a few) but it doesn't have enough umph to
        > move water to the top of the head from ground level. I'll use the
        > bildge pump as suggested. But it will have to wait until next week. I
        > think my wife may kill me when she finds out how much I've paid for
        > copper this weekend. :)
        > misc. questions:
        > how large diameter copper tube would you suggest for the reflux return?
        > What have you guys used to seal the thermometer at the top of the
        > column that wont compromise the product (I assume not rubber)? Seems
        > like soldering in a probe would destroy the thermometer.
        >
        > Thanks much,
        > Chris

        Hey Chris,
        I feel ya on the Price of Copper. I just picked up a 48 inch piece of
        1.5". 40 bucks. Hopefully the xtra 18" will get me to the 95% level.
        My other reason was that my pieced together column has a couple of
        solder gobs in it that prevented me from using scrubbers or structured
        packing. Still gonna try it with marbles first though.
        On your frozen jug idea. I think a lot of the guys that use recirc
        systems might employ this method or similar. It makes more sense to
        me however to use then 1 at a time. In my mind I think they would
        last longer. Keep an eye on the coolant temp. When it hits 100F or
        so change to a fresh jug. I have seen some illustrations in some
        books that run the water over a wash board that has a fan blowing on
        it. The idea I think being to spread the water out over a wide
        surface area to help cool it. I even saw a pic the other day where
        they were running the cooling through a radiator with a fan blowing
        over it. Again spreading the coolant out over a broad surface area.
        In a recent thread a guy had a set up that when the water was returned
        it went over a sheet the turned it into rain drops that again were fan
        cooled. Just throwing out some ideas. A Reflux Run for pure or close
        to pure etho will go at about 600ml-1L per hour. Plus an hour or so
        with the valve fully closed to equalize the column. A typical run of
        3 gallons of low wines for me goes about 12 hours.
        As far as sealing the thermometer. I used a rubber bung from the brew
        shop for a long time. The one in the top of my boiler lid is simple a
        .150" hole that the digital thermometer slip through and I seal it
        with the ever fool proof flour and water mixture. (called luting)
        The rubber bung worked great for me. I bought on with a hole in it
        and then screwed a compression fitting into it and again used flour
        and water or sometimes teflon tape. Never had a leak.

        Mason
      • gff_stwrt
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 2, 2008
          <rehpotsirhcj@...> wrote:

          > Couple more quick questions...
          > I finished the head today and began to look toward the recirc
          system.
          > I was thinking that I could freeze water in 5 or six milk jugs,
          place
          > them in a cooler, fill the remainder of the cooler with water, and
          then
          > use a submersible pump to circulate water through both the
          condenser
          > and the Liebig. I wonder if this would be sufficient? I'm not sure
          how
          > long I can expect a run to last, or how quickly I would loose my
          ice
          > to the returning warmer water. I tried the setup with an aquarium
          pump
          > today (because I already had a few) but it doesn't have enough umph
          to move water to the top of the head from ground level.

          snip

          > Thanks much,
          > Chris

          Hi, Chris, hi folks,

          Chris, there is a simple answer that may solve your problem, but
          first there is a question to answer;

          Do you have a garden or a swimming pool that needs water?
          If so, run the still on mains pressure and adjust your watering
          times/ pool filling times (and perhaps your distilling times) so that
          you can run a water outlet hose from the condenser to where you need
          water.
          No wasted water, no plumbing to do or pumps to buy and the garden
          will look better than ever with the extra attention.

          Regards,

          The Baker
        • rehpotsirhcj
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
            I think your right about the one jug at a time Mason. Thinking about
            it, you leave them in the freezer until you need them, the one jug in
            the cooler should keep the temp near freezing until its thawed out, and
            if not, then I guess it will be a quick thaw and I'll need another
            method :)

            did you use a 1/4 tube for the reflux return or?

            boy I'm getting close...

            Chris
          • jay lagasse
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
              Hey Chris.

              Just thought I'd leave another suggestion, in case you needed more.  On your thermometer hole, since you probably have some scraps of 1/4" od tubing leftover, here's the way I did mine:  I drilled the hole where the thermometer would go and I drilled it large enough to fit a piece of 1/4"  tubing.  I slipped a piece of tubing onto the probe of my thermometer and marked it where I intended to cut it.  I then cut and fit the tubing into that hole and soldered it into place.  The thermometer slips into that tube until it stops when the back side of it hits the end of the tube.  I made sure that the tube was the right legnth so that when the thermometer was fully inserted, the tip of the probe is centred on the tee where the steam goes to the head.  The thermometer slipped in a little too easy at first and I wanted it to be more snug, so a very slight bend in the tube took care of that.  Now, it slips in and sort of "locks" into place.  There is no leaking on mine but you should make sure that the probe doesn't  fit into the tubing too loosely or else leaking would occur.  It's just an idea if you want to to expiriment with it.

              As far as I'm concerned, 1/4" od tubing is perfect for a reflux tube.

              -Jay

              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                Ohe never mind your wanting it for a boiler, well I would suggest just
                going to a beer store and buying a keg, driking or dumping out the beer
                and put on the attachments
              • burrows206
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                  Hi Chris and Jay,
                  Another more mechanical way to do it is get a quarter inch
                  straight compression fitting, take one nut and compression ring off,
                  now measure the diameter of the threaded end piece. Drill and tap a
                  hole in the column wall where you intend to place your thermometer.
                  the column wall will be, strong and thick enough to accept a very
                  small thread (plenty for a small thermometer probe). Now screw in
                  your quarter inch fitting untill it stops,( be careful and don't
                  overtighten and wring the thread as you only have a little bit in
                  the wall thickness) back off 2 turns, wrap some PTFE plumbers thread
                  tape on the thread in same direction you tighten the fitting, tighten
                  up slightly more than finger tight (nipped very slightly with pliers
                  will sufice). This should seal it to the column wall.
                  Now take off the other nut off the other end and get rid of the
                  compression ring. Slip the compression nut over the probe then slide
                  in your thermometer to exactly where you want it in the column. Now
                  wrap about 20-25 turns of PTFE where the probe meets the compression
                  fitting(or enough to make it bunch up and make a sealing compression
                  ring of PTFE tape), slide the compression nut forward to the fitting
                  threads now tighten up until the probe wont slip inside the fitting.
                  You now have a perfectly gas tight seal that will take well over
                  16-18 inch pressure on a water gauge
                  Geoff