Re: Ethanol fuel

  • gff_stwrt
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jay" <ak_jay.1976@> wrote:

      snip

      > > I want to build an ethanol still and fire it with a wood stove.
      The
      > > stove will be short with a large, flat top surface about 3 ft
      > > square. The stove will heat my house while running (pro) and the
      > > boiler will sit right on top. It will be a tank with a capacity of
      > > about 100-200 gallons.

      snip

      Jay, I know you will be moving to one of the alcohol fuel groups, but
      here is something to take with you.

      This sounds a bit like putting a bomb in the middle of your house!

      And if ever there WAS a fire or explosion at your house you can
      probably forget any possibility of an insurance payout!

      Regards,

      The Baker

      (Geoff Stewart, BA, DipAII, AAII (Life, Fire, Accident)

      (All except the first of those are for insurance))
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
        Your SOOOO Correct Baker,

        I didn't read through the whole message, just gave him the link as Mason
        asked.

        However, Im sure when our friends in Alcohol Fuel read his plans, all
        kinds of alarms will be sounded. Not to mention the fact that if 200 /
        300 gallons did blow, there probably wouldn't be anything left of him,
        or his house or the neighbors....

        Thanks.

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...>
        wrote:

        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jay" <ak_jay.1976@> wrote:
        >
        > snip
        >
        > > > I want to build an ethanol still and fire it with a wood stove.
        > The
        > > > stove will be short with a large, flat top surface about 3 ft
        > > > square. The stove will heat my house while running (pro) and the
        > > > boiler will sit right on top. It will be a tank with a capacity of
        > > > about 100-200 gallons.
        >
        > snip
        >
        > Jay, I know you will be moving to one of the alcohol fuel groups, but
        > here is something to take with you.
        >
        > This sounds a bit like putting a bomb in the middle of your house!
        >
        > And if ever there WAS a fire or explosion at your house you can
        > probably forget any possibility of an insurance payout!
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > The Baker
        >
        > (Geoff Stewart, BA, DipAII, AAII (Life, Fire, Accident)
        >
        > (All except the first of those are for insurance))

      • jay lagasse
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
          Hehe, I like to live life on the edge!  Of course I thought about the risks.  Thanks for the concern, anyway.  I don't think I'll be doing it anyway, I did some quick math after doing some research on their site and it looks like the best case scenario would have me producing fuel for a couple dollars per gallon more than gasoline.  I'll stick to drinking the stuff, thank you very much!

          Later,
          Jay

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008

            Good Choice Jay,

            Just to show ya, even the "Professionals" have problems.....   Check these picts out - from a "next door neighbor" one state over in Kentucky :).

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim.

            1997  Heaven Hill Distillery Bardstown Kentucky.

            This photo is from the 1997 fire at Heaven Hill Distillery. (photos courtesy of The Kentucky Standard).

            Another photo from the Heaven Hill fire. Kentucky Standard staff members at the scene reported huge fireballs of unburnt alcohol that were forced hundreds of feet into the air until they found oxygen to combust.

             The warehouse was previously a brewery but had been turned into a gin and vodka distillery prior to the fire.

            G & J Greenall has been based in the North West since 1761

            2006  Greenall's Distillery
            Cheshire England

            This is what's left after an arsonist set it alight.  Proving once again that alcohol is a highly flammable fuel.  All it needs is air (oxygen) and an ignition source (flame or spark).

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
              wrote:

              > Hehe, I like to live life on the edge!  Of course I thought about
              the risks.  Thanks for the concern, anyway.  I don't think I'll be
              doing it anyway, I did some quick math after doing some research on
              their site and it looks like the best case scenario would have me
              producing fuel for a couple dollars per gallon more than gasoline.
              I'll stick to drinking the stuff, thank you very much!

              > Later,
              > Jay

              I dunno why ppl don't see the light. Make yer own booze (and yer
              family's/friends). Money saved (60-80 bucks/week?) stick it in yer
              gas tank. Everyone smiles ('ceptin' the taxman <BG>).