Re: has anyone ever heard of this method ?

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 31 12:55 PM

      Okey Homes,

      From what I can see, you may have 2 problems...

      The first problem is with the 2 stage fermentation process.  When working with grains, its a good idea to get the fermentation over with as soon as possible, with a low pH - like around 5.4 to 5.8.  This will inhibit any infections from wild yeast or worse - vinegar bacteria - that Acetobacter stuff.

      By using a 2 step fermentation -where your  first fermenting for 3 days, then a second full fermentation which could last a week or so, your just inviting infections.  Professional Whiskey distillers shoot for no more then a 4 day ferment period...

      The other problem you may have is using just regular baker's yeast with such a long ferment.  I would suggest you try using a highly competitive yeast such as Lalvin EC-1118 called "The Killer Strain" because it will kill off any types of wild yeasts around.  Also I would stay away from that 2 step process and mash all your grains at once.  This will also help.

      Hope this helps.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homemade12476" <homemade12476@...> wrote:

      P.S james i cooked everything the at the same time and added yeast,
      and bleached both buckets at the same time.they were indoors under
      a/c,same amount of yeast to the gram.the only thing i am not sure of
      is if i had enough water in the airlock but i think i did .--- In