Re: has anyone ever heard of this method ?

  • homemade12476
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 30 6:23 PM
      -am old man told me to try this with cracked corn but i guess you
      could do it with anything.it calls for 20pounds of cracked corn
      cooked in water till its somewhat soft and a mush
      consistancy.dilute
      4 pounds of sugar in water and add both to fermenter.let sit till
      it
      cools then add water and pitch 1 pouchof bakers yeast.let ferment
      for 2 or 3 days.strain with croker sack.dilute 14 or 15 more pounds
      of sugar let cool and ad to fermenter.pitch 1 pack of distilers
      yeast with ag and ferment.i never heard if this but i guess it
      would
      ad taste and let you have a smaller fermenter and give you more to
      cook.

      -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
      <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

      > Qusetion,
      >
      > What type yeast are you using?
      > Sorta sounds like one of them buckets got infected...
      >
      > Vino es Veritas,
      > Jim.
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homemade12476"
      > <homemade12476@> wrote:
      > >
      > > im down to a wine now ,i used 2 5gal buckets cuz im making wine
      out
      > > of my main fermenter.1 bucket turned out smelling great but 1
      smells
      > > soured.everything was was the same but the sour smelling bucket
      took
      > > twice as long to ferment.anyone have any ideas

    • homemade12476
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 30 6:31 PM
        P.S james i cooked everything the at the same time and added yeast,
        and bleached both buckets at the same time.they were indoors under
        a/c,same amount of yeast to the gram.the only thing i am not sure of
        is if i had enough water in the airlock but i think i did .--- In

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 31 12:55 PM

          Okey Homes,

          From what I can see, you may have 2 problems...

          The first problem is with the 2 stage fermentation process.  When working with grains, its a good idea to get the fermentation over with as soon as possible, with a low pH - like around 5.4 to 5.8.  This will inhibit any infections from wild yeast or worse - vinegar bacteria - that Acetobacter stuff.

          By using a 2 step fermentation -where your  first fermenting for 3 days, then a second full fermentation which could last a week or so, your just inviting infections.  Professional Whiskey distillers shoot for no more then a 4 day ferment period...

          The other problem you may have is using just regular baker's yeast with such a long ferment.  I would suggest you try using a highly competitive yeast such as Lalvin EC-1118 called "The Killer Strain" because it will kill off any types of wild yeasts around.  Also I would stay away from that 2 step process and mash all your grains at once.  This will also help.

          Hope this helps.