Re: has anyone ever heard of this method ?

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 30 5:50 PM
      Qusetion,

      What type yeast are you using?
      Sorta sounds like one of them buckets got infected...

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homemade12476"
      <homemade12476@...> wrote:

      > im down to a wine now ,i used 2 5gal buckets cuz im making wine out
      > of my main fermenter.1 bucket turned out smelling great but 1 smells
      > soured.everything was was the same but the sour smelling bucket took
      > twice as long to ferment.anyone have any ideas
    • homemade12476
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 30 6:23 PM
        -am old man told me to try this with cracked corn but i guess you
        could do it with anything.it calls for 20pounds of cracked corn
        cooked in water till its somewhat soft and a mush
        consistancy.dilute
        4 pounds of sugar in water and add both to fermenter.let sit till
        it
        cools then add water and pitch 1 pouchof bakers yeast.let ferment
        for 2 or 3 days.strain with croker sack.dilute 14 or 15 more pounds
        of sugar let cool and ad to fermenter.pitch 1 pack of distilers
        yeast with ag and ferment.i never heard if this but i guess it
        would
        ad taste and let you have a smaller fermenter and give you more to
        cook.

        -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 30 6:31 PM
          P.S james i cooked everything the at the same time and added yeast,
          and bleached both buckets at the same time.they were indoors under
          a/c,same amount of yeast to the gram.the only thing i am not sure of
          is if i had enough water in the airlock but i think i did .--- In

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 31 12:55 PM

            Okey Homes,

            From what I can see, you may have 2 problems...

            The first problem is with the 2 stage fermentation process.  When working with grains, its a good idea to get the fermentation over with as soon as possible, with a low pH - like around 5.4 to 5.8.  This will inhibit any infections from wild yeast or worse - vinegar bacteria - that Acetobacter stuff.

            By using a 2 step fermentation -where your  first fermenting for 3 days, then a second full fermentation which could last a week or so, your just inviting infections.  Professional Whiskey distillers shoot for no more then a 4 day ferment period...

            The other problem you may have is using just regular baker's yeast with such a long ferment.  I would suggest you try using a highly competitive yeast such as Lalvin EC-1118 called "The Killer Strain" because it will kill off any types of wild yeasts around.  Also I would stay away from that 2 step process and mash all your grains at once.  This will also help.

            Hope this helps.