bucket still heater

  • sumoseamus
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 30, 2008
      hi everyone,

      i'v been thinking about making one of those simple bucket stills, what
      would be a good heater(aquarium)to buy and how much would it cost?
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 30, 2008

        Hi Sum,

        Save that bucket for your fermenter, and save the aquarium heater for your fish...  As far as the heater goes, its called a stove or propane burner :).

        Here is about the simplest "bucket" still you can make which will give you a good distillate:

        Click on it to enlarge.

        Note - do not put holes on bottom of bucket but put on top.

        And Welcome Aboard.  Please go to left of screen to the Links or Database section and start reading up on the fundamentals of Distilling.  Please feel free to ask any questions.

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim (Co-Moderator).

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 30, 2008

          Sidenote:

          The true term for that diagram is called a "pot still".  You should also read up on reflux stills, along with other topics depending on what you planning to make.

          Jim.

          > Hi Sum,
          >
          > Save that bucket for your fermenter, and save the aquarium heater for
          > your fish... As far as the heater goes, its called a stove or propane
          > burner [:)] .
          >
          > Here is about the simplest "bucket" still you can make which will give
          > you a good distillate:
          >
          > http://homedistiller.org/graphics/geoff_pot_still.gif

          Jim.

        • rye_junkie1
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 30, 2008
            <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

            > Hi Sum,
            >
            > Save that bucket for your fermenter, and save the aquarium heater for
            > your fish... As far as the heater goes, its called a stove or propane
            > burner [:)] .
            >
            > Here is about the simplest "bucket" still you can make which will give
            > you a good distillate:
            >
            > <http://homedistiller.org/graphics/geoff_pot_still.gif>
            >
            > Click on it to enlarge.
            >
            > Note - do not put holes on bottom of bucket but put on top.
            >
            > And Welcome Aboard. Please go to left of screen to the Links or
            > Database section and start reading up on the fundamentals of Distilling.
            > Please feel free to ask any questions.
            >
            > Vino es Veritas,
            >
            > Jim (Co-Moderator).
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sumoseamus" <sumoseamus@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > hi everyone,
            > >
            > > i'v been thinking about making one of those simple bucket stills, what
            > > would be a good heater(aquarium)to buy and how much would it cost?

            I believe that Riku has a bucket still design that uses one of those
            curly looking water heaters for heating water in a coffee cup. From
            what I understand it is as slow as Molasses flowing up hill on a cold
            day but it does work. However I will go with Jim on this. If you
            have access to the materials, at the beginning stage in this hobby,
            go with something your not going to get frustrated with. Save that
            aquarium heater. During winter they come in mighty handy to keep a
            ferment up to temp.

            Mason
          • sumoseamus
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 31, 2008
              wrote:

              > hi everyone,
              >
              > i'v been thinking about making one of those simple bucket stills, what
              > would be a good heater(aquarium)to buy and how much would it cost?

              i think i might have confused you, i was talking about this
              http://www.amazingstill.com/use.html i thought it might be
              interesting to see how well it would work
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 31, 2008
                Hi Sum,

                Nope you didnt confuse me at all, as I said before, save the bucket for
                your fermenter..... This type of distillation system might be useful in
                prisons, or for kids in college, but not for making serious hootch.
                There is no possible way you could make proper cuts during a spirits run
                - belive me.

                Vino es Veritas,

                Jim.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 31, 2008

                  Sidenote:

                  If you just want to play around, get one of your 4 qt. pots and a 3 qt. or so stainless mixing bowl that fits on top.  Put a pyrex 4 cup mesuring cup in the middle.  Put your fementation in the pot, put crushed ice in the mixing bowl and place on top.  put it on stove and turn heat to medium.  This is how I started off...

                  But again, you aint going make any serious hootch with it:> see below.

                  Its called a Wok type still.

                  Jim.

                  The World's Simplest Still

                  The World's Simplest (and safest) Still
                  The World's Simplest (and safest) Still

                  > Hi Sum,
                  >
                  > Nope you didnt confuse me at all, as I said before, save the bucket for
                  > your fermenter..... This type of distillation system might be useful in
                  > prisons, or for kids in college, but not for making serious hootch.
                  > There is no possible way you could make proper cuts during a spirits run
                  > - believe me.
                • peter442737
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 31, 2008
                    Hi Sum
                    Made the same mistake as yourself about a year ago. Bought the
                    amazing plastic still and used it once. Did get spirit from it
                    without the valuable cuts we all talk about. In my humble opinion a
                    waste of money. Now am the proud owner of my own built Vapour
                    Management still producing 95% realy good hooch. Hope this helps.
                    Regards
                    Peter

                    <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Sum,
                    >
                    > Nope you didnt confuse me at all, as I said before, save the bucket
                    for
                    > your fermenter..... This type of distillation system might be
                    useful in
                    > prisons, or for kids in college, but not for making serious hootch.
                    > There is no possible way you could make proper cuts during a
                    spirits run
                    > - belive me.
                    >
                    > Vino es Veritas,
                    >
                    > Jim.
                    >

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sumoseamus" <sumoseamus@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sumoseamus" sumoseamus@
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > hi everyone,
                    > > >
                    > > > i'v been thinking about making one of those simple bucket
                    stills,
                    > what
                    > > > would be a good heater(aquarium)to buy and how much would it
                    cost?

                    > > i think i might have confused you, i was talking about this
                    > > http://www.amazingstill.com/use.html i thought it might be
                    > > interesting to see how well it would work

                  • Iain Ward
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 31, 2008
                      I tried the same thing this winter, just to see how well it worked.
                      Used a 1500W farm water trough heater set at 40C, with a constant drain
                      set up similar to what is shown on Gert Strands website. It produced a
                      decent vodka (kept the wife happy!) at an output of approx 750ml per day
                      with a total output of 3L@~35-45% over the 4 day run, using a simple
                      sugar wash with Turbo 48 yeast.

                      If all you're looking for is a simple homemade mixing vodka with
                      basically no work, give it a try.
                      If you are looking to get the best homemade you can do....well that's a
                      whole different story.

                      HTH

                      peter442737 wrote:
                      > Hi Sum
                      > Made the same mistake as yourself about a year ago. Bought the
                      > amazing plastic still and used it once. Did get spirit from it
                      > without the valuable cuts we all talk about. In my humble opinion a
                      > waste of money. Now am the proud owner of my own built Vapour
                      > Management still producing 95% realy good hooch. Hope this helps.
                      > Regards
                      > Peter

                    • rye_junkie1
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 31, 2008
                        <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                        > Sidenote:
                        >
                        > If you just want to play around, get one of your 4 qt. pots and a 3 qt.
                        > or so stainless mixing bowl that fits on top. Put a pyrex 4 cup
                        > mesuring cup in the middle. Put your fementation in the pot, put
                        > crushed ice in the mixing bowl and place on top. put it on stove and
                        > turn heat to medium. This is how I started off...
                        >
                        > But again, you aint going make any serious hootch with it:> see below.
                        >
                        > Its called a Wok type still.
                        >
                        > Jim.
                        > The World's Simplest Still
                        >
                        > [The World's Simplest (and safest) Still]

                        As I recall, you said you wished you hadn't wasted those 2 months of
                        your life. :)
                        Simplest Still Yes. But It does not get my vote for Safety.

                        Mason
                      • abbababbaccc
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 31, 2008
                          Jim,

                          It would be quite easy to drill a small hole at the bottom of the
                          bucket and attach a drain/vapor lock there for making cuts. With
                          bucket on top of the bucket type amazing still one can even reach high
                          70s in ABV making it similar to a potstill in efficiency.

                          However, problems with heater cord protection exist. I did laminate a
                          layer to the cord from PTFE tape and aquarium silicone which worked
                          OK. Another problem is high proof alcohol and polypropylene. They
                          should work at temperatures and ABVs we are using but we are nearing
                          the risk limit here.

                          Cheers, Riku

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 1, 2008
                            <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                            > Sidenote:
                            >
                            > If you just want to play around, get one of your 4 qt. pots and a 3 qt.
                            > or so stainless mixing bowl that fits on top. Put a pyrex 4 cup
                            > mesuring cup in the middle. Put your fementation in the pot, put
                            > crushed ice in the mixing bowl and place on top. put it on stove and
                            > turn heat to medium. This is how I started off...
                            >
                            > But again, you aint going make any serious hootch with it:> see below.
                            >
                            > Its called a Wok type still.
                            >
                            > Jim.
                            > The World's Simplest Still
                            >
                            > [The World's Simplest (and safest) Still]
                            > The World's Simplest (and safest) Still
                            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@>
                            > wrote:
                            >
                            > > Hi Sum,
                            > >
                            > > Nope you didnt confuse me at all, as I said before, save the bucket
                            > for
                            > > your fermenter..... This type of distillation system might be useful
                            > in
                            > > prisons, or for kids in college, but not for making serious hootch.
                            > > There is no possible way you could make proper cuts during a spirits
                            > run
                            > > - believe me.

                            ok then, you've been very helpful thanks :)

                            thats a pretty nifty way to get started

                            thanks