Looking for a boiler

  • rehpotsirhcj
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 26, 2008
      Hi guys,
      I've just about got my still assembled, but I'm having problems laying
      my hands on a stainless keg for the boiler.
      Anyone in the Ellenburg WA area that might have a lead on one?
      thanks much
      Chris
    • John Chad Kinsey Sr.
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 26, 2008

        I’d like to see a picture of what sort of still you are attaching to a keg.

        I've just about got my still assembled, but I'm having problems laying
        my hands on a stainless keg for the boiler.
        Anyone in the Ellenburg WA area that might have a lead on one?
        thanks much
        Chris

        Virus Database (VPS): 080725-1, 07/25/2008
        Tested on: 7/26/2008 2:58:52 PM

        Virus Database (VPS): 080726-0, 07/26/2008
        Tested on: 7/26/2008 3:19:18 PM

      • ak_jay.1976
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 26, 2008
          Hey Chris,

          The only advice I have is to try all the local metal recycling yards.
          But you may or may not have any luck there. I've had yards tell me
          that they have kegs but are not allowed to sell them. Another yard
          would sell me all the kegs I wanted but they all had holes punched in
          them. I ended up buying one that was in fairly good shape, 1 small
          dent on the lower ring but it had 5 holes in it! TIG welded the holes
          up and spent the next few days polishing.

          Depending on what your views are, you could always buy a keg of beer
          and pay the deposit, keep the keg and distill the beer. I'd go that
          route as a last resort. Some people don't like that idea because it
          causes brewing companies to lose money. I think they make plenty of
          money as it is.

          Good luck,

          Jay

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rehpotsirhcj"
          <rehpotsirhcj@...> wrote:

          > Hi guys,
          > I've just about got my still assembled, but I'm having problems
          laying
          > my hands on a stainless keg for the boiler.
          > Anyone in the Ellenburg WA area that might have a lead on one?
          > thanks much
          > Chris

        • Benjamin Domingo Bof
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 26, 2008

            Chris & Jay please look at:

            http://flickr.com/photos/visionshare/310513338/in/set-72157594399374060/

            There is an photo of water tubes boiler.

            Regards, Ben

            <rehpotsirhcj@ ...> wrote:

            > Hi guys,
            > I've just about got my still assembled, but I'm having problems
            laying
            > my hands on a stainless keg for the boiler.
            > Anyone in the Ellenburg WA area that might have a lead on one?
            > thanks much
            > Chris

            ¡Buscá desde tu celular! Yahoo! oneSEARCH ahora está en Claro
            http://ar.mobile.yahoo.com/onesearch
          • ak_jay.1976
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 26, 2008
              That boiler is definitely... something! I would need to do a bit
              of studying to fully understand what's going on there but it is...
              something!

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Domingo Bof

              _______________

              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 27, 2008

                Thanks Jay,

                I hadn't considered a scrap yard.  I had considered hitting the local beer distributors, but I think most kegs are aluminum now right? I may be wrong on that one.

                John, the type of still that I'm building is just your basic valved reflux. I'm sure that there are better and much more efficient designs out there, but this one has an advantage in that it is very simple.  This is my first still so I'm trying to keep things strait forward and learn as much as I can in the process. I posted a couple of photos of what I have assembled so far: here  The soldering is terrible, i know.  I finally worked up the nerve to do it after watching a demonstration on YouTube.  Anyway, I think they're tight, just ugly.

                and the tube boiler... wow.  I wouldn't even know where to begin Ben.

                Thanks again,

                Chris

              • Jay
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 28, 2008
                  I think alminum kegs are very rare and if you come across one for a
                  good price you should pick it up just for the novelty... maybe
                  build a gas tank for that old chevy of yours! But for your still,
                  stainless is the way to go and just about any keg that you come
                  across will be stainless. Bring a magnet with you. A magnet will
                  not stick to a lot of stainless but it WILL stick to stainless that
                  has been worked a lot. IE, around the top or bottom rings where the
                  metal has been stamped or rolled, like around the handles. Now you
                  know you've got stainless. A magnet will NOT stick to ANY aluminum.

                  Just a tip, don't let a scrap yard guy sell you a keg for too much
                  more than market value of the weight in stainless. 45 or 50 bucks
                  should be the max. Hell, even the deposit on a new keg at the
                  liquor store will be less than that!

                  Have fun,

                  <rehpotsirhcj@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Jay,
                  >
                  > I hadn't considered a scrap yard. I had considered hitting the
                  local
                  > beer distributors, but I think most kegs are aluminum now right? I
                  may
                  > be wrong on that one.
                  >
                  > John, the type of still that I'm building is just your basic valved
                  > reflux. I'm sure that there are better and much more efficient
                  designs
                  > out there, but this one has an advantage in that it is very
                  simple.
                  > This is my first still so I'm trying to keep things strait forward
                  and
                  > learn as much as I can in the process. I posted a couple of photos
                  of
                  > what I have assembled so far: here

                  c=>

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 28, 2008

                    Actually Jay,

                    Aluminum Kegs are much more common then stainless steel ones and cheaper.  There have been many postings both here and in Advanced Distillers on conversion of both aluminum and stainless kegs for boilers (although the best type boilers are made from old stainless steel milk jugs, if you can still find them, next to copper of course :):).  See Harry's disertation on Metals used in Distilling: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/message/35812

                    Aluminum is perfectly safe for a boiler although in the long run it will pit faster then stainless or copper.

                    Vino es Veritas,

                    Jim.

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jay" <ak_jay.1976@...> wrote:

                    > I think alminum kegs are very rare and if you come across one for a
                    > good price you should pick it up just for the novelty... maybe
                    > build a gas tank for that old chevy of yours! But for your still,
                    > stainless is the way to go and just about any keg that you come
                    > across will be stainless. Bring a magnet with you. A magnet will
                    > not stick to a lot of stainless but it WILL stick to stainless that
                    > has been worked a lot. IE, around the top or bottom rings where the
                    > metal has been stamped or rolled, like around the handles. Now you
                    > know you've got stainless. A magnet will NOT stick to ANY aluminum.
                    >
                    > Just a tip, don't let a scrap yard guy sell you a keg for too much
                    > more than market value of the weight in stainless. 45 or 50 bucks
                    > should be the max. Hell, even the deposit on a new keg at the
                    > liquor store will be less than that!
                    >
                    > Have fun,
                    >
                    > Jay
                    >

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rehpotsirhcj"
                    > rehpotsirhcj@ wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Thanks Jay,
                    > >
                    > > I hadn't considered a scrap yard. I had considered hitting the
                    > local
                    > > beer distributors, but I think most kegs are aluminum now right? I
                    > may
                    > > be wrong on that one.
                    > >
                    > > John, the type of still that I'm building is just your basic valved
                    > > reflux. I'm sure that there are better and much more efficient
                    > designs
                    > > out there, but this one has an advantage in that it is very
                    > simple.
                    > > This is my first still so I'm trying to keep things strait forward
                    > and
                    > > learn as much as I can in the process. I posted a couple of photos
                    > of
                    > > what I have assembled so far: here

                    > c=>
                    > > The soldering is terrible, i know. I finally worked up the nerve
                    > to do
                    > > it after watching a demonstration on YouTube. Anyway, I think
                    > they're
                    > > tight, just ugly.
                    > >
                    > > and the tube boiler... wow. I wouldn't even know where to begin
                    > Ben.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks again,
                    > >
                    > > Chris

                  • Bill Williams
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 28, 2008
                      Hello
                       I bought my two Kegs for $20.00 a pop.
                      He stated that it help him out from a the BS in returning them to the vender ???? I don't about that, but I got two SS 18.+ liter Kegs for $20.00 and felt that I did OK

                      Bill

                      <rehpotsirhcj@ ...> wrote:

                      > Thanks Jay,
                      >
                      > I hadn't considered a scrap yard. I had considered hitting the
                      local
                      > beer distributors, but I think most kegs are aluminum now right? I
                      may
                      > be wrong on that one.
                      >
                      > John, the type of still that I'm building is just your basic valved
                      > reflux. I'm sure that there are better and much more efficient
                      designs
                      > out there, but this one has an advantage in that it is very
                      simple.
                      > This is my first still so I'm trying to keep things strait forward
                      and
                      > learn as much as I can in the process. I posted a couple of photos
                      of
                      > what I have assembled so far: here

                      <http://ph.groups. yahoo.com/ group/new_ distillers/ photos/browse/ 2e11?
                      c=>
                      > The soldering is terrible, i know. I finally worked up the nerve
                      to do
                      > it after watching a demonstration on YouTube. Anyway, I think
                      they're
                      > tight, just ugly.
                      >
                      > and the tube boiler... wow. I wouldn't even know where to begin
                      Ben.

                      > Thanks again,
                      >
                      > Chris

                    • Jay
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 28, 2008
                        I stand corrected. Maybe there are some aluminum beer kegs out
                        there. I've never seen one in my life.

                        And as for using one for a boiler, suppose it's possible but what
                        happens to all the material that is being pitted away? Here's an
                        excerpt from Harry's disertation that you left:

                        Aluminium and its alloys are a poor choice as metals for fabricating
                        distillation equipment. The metal and its normally protective oxide
                        coating formed by atmospheric exposure are subject to severe attack
                        and migration in all pH conditions save for neutral pH. As most
                        liquids distilled are normally quite acidic, rapid degradation in
                        the form of corrosion and large-scale pitting can be expected. To
                        minimize this situation would require careful neutralization of the
                        wash, which has its own inherent problems, particularly if there is
                        any copper further along in the distilling path. Alcohol distilled
                        under these conditions very often contains undesirable compounds
                        such as the previously-mentioned Schweitzer's Reagent, which will
                        require further processing to eliminate, thus substantially
                        increasing the time and cost of distilling.

                        If the wash is other than neutral i.e. acidic or alkaline, then
                        metal migration will occur into the wash. While the metal and its
                        salts may largely remain in the stillpot, undesirable compounds are
                        formed which will appear in the distillate and alter the flavour to
                        something very different to what was expected. Generally these
                        compounds leave a nasty metallic taste on the palate. In wood, this
                        taste gets more pronounced as maturation progresses, ruining this
                        batch of spirit. Any subsequent batches barreled in that cask will
                        also suffer the same fate, as the undesirable compounds permeate the
                        wood and by virtue of alcohol's known ability as a strong solvent,
                        will leach into any new spirit placed therein.

                        Rigorous cleaning, perfectly neutral balanced pH wash, meticulous
                        attention to distilling detail, accurate analytical tools e.g. a gas
                        chromatograph, and production of nothing else but flavourless
                        neutral ethanol such as vodka, would be the only practical way to
                        employ aluminium successfully in distilling equipment, i.e. a
                        still. Given that there are very few amateur distillers with these
                        skills and instruments, or willingness to be limited to a single
                        product, distillation fabricators would be well advised to discard
                        ideas of using aluminium. Utensils and boilers made from aluminium
                        and its alloys for grain mashing may fare better, however a minimal
                        maintenance, passive metal such as stainless steel would be easily a
                        better option. There are eminently more suitable metals than
                        aluminium to employ in spirits distilling.

                        One of my old stills has 4 aluminum rivets holding 2 handles to the
                        boiler. After 2 years or so of use, the rivets are nearly gone. So
                        bad that I am afraid to use the handles for fear of them breaking
                        off and spilling mash everywhere. I couldn't imagine having an
                        entire boiler made of the stuff! I love machining aluminum and I
                        love welding aluminum but I am of the opinion that it has no place
                        in a still.

                        -Jay

                        <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > > > reflux. I'm sure that there are better and much more efficient
                        > > designs
                        > > > out there, but this one has an advantage in that it is very
                        > > simple.
                        > > > This is my first still so I'm trying to keep things strait
                        forward
                        > > and
                        > > > learn as much as I can in the process. I posted a couple of
                        photos
                        > > of
                        > > > what I have assembled so far: here

                        > > c=>
                        > > > The soldering is terrible, i know. I finally worked up the
                        nerve
                        > > to do
                        > > > it after watching a demonstration on YouTube. Anyway, I think
                        > > they're
                        > > > tight, just ugly.
                        > > >
                        > > > and the tube boiler... wow. I wouldn't even know where to begin

                      • rye_junkie1
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 28, 2008
                          <rehpotsirhcj@...> wrote:
                          I posted a couple of photos of
                          > what I have assembled so far: here
                          > <http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/photos/browse/2e11?c=>
                          > The soldering is terrible, i know. I finally worked up the nerve to do
                          > it after watching a demonstration on YouTube. Anyway, I think they're
                          > tight, just ugly.
                          >
                          > and the tube boiler... wow. I wouldn't even know where to begin Ben.
                          >
                          > Thanks again,
                          >
                          > Chris

                          Hello Chris,
                          Just an observation on your still head. You really only need one Valve.
                          That return valve is trouble waiting to happen. You control the
                          reflux ratio with the product valve. Product being sent bact to the
                          column should be unrestricted. Others may disagree but if you think
                          about it only one valve makes good sense. You will also want to add a
                          small liebig as a chiller for the distillate. Here is my setup with
                          the exception of the rubber bung.

                          Mason
                        • rye_junkie1
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 28, 2008

                            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rehpotsirhcj"
                            > <rehpotsirhcj@> wrote:
                            > I posted a couple of photos of
                            > > what I have assembled so far: here

                            > > The soldering is terrible, i know. I finally worked up the nerve
                            to do
                            > > it after watching a demonstration on YouTube. Anyway, I think they're
                            > > tight, just ugly.
                            > >
                            > > and the tube boiler... wow. I wouldn't even know where to begin Ben.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks again,
                            > >
                            > > Chris
                            > >

                            > Hello Chris,
                            > Just an observation on your still head. You really only need one Valve.
                            > That return valve is trouble waiting to happen. You control the
                            > reflux ratio with the product valve. Product being sent bact to the
                            > column should be unrestricted. Others may disagree but if you think
                            > about it only one valve makes good sense. You will also want to add a
                            > small liebig as a chiller for the distillate. Here is my setup with
                            > the exception of the rubber bung.
                            >
                            > Mason

                            A guy posted this months back and I had saved the link for future
                            reference. Thought it may help if you couldn't find a keg. You could
                            fairly easily adapt your column to the lid with a SS sink Strainer and
                            a brass nut. Just another option. Its what I use.

                            http://www.bayouclassicfryers.com/stainless-steel.shtml

                            Mason
                          • gff_stwrt
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jul 28, 2008
                              Hi, folks,

                              I wonder, has anyone asked a brewery if they could buy a keg that has
                              been taken out of service?

                              Regards,

                              The Baker

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ak_jay.1976"
                              <ak_jay.1976@...> wrote:

                              > Hey Chris,
                              >
                              > The only advice I have is to try all the local metal recycling
                              yards.
                              > But you may or may not have any luck there. I've had yards tell me
                              > that they have kegs but are not allowed to sell them. Another yard
                              > would sell me all the kegs I wanted but they all had holes punched
                              in
                              > them. I ended up buying one that was in fairly good shape, 1 small
                              > dent on the lower ring but it had 5 holes in it! TIG welded the
                              holes
                              > up and spent the next few days polishing.
                              >
                              > Depending on what your views are, you could always buy a keg of
                              beer
                              > and pay the deposit, keep the keg and distill the beer. I'd go
                              that
                              > route as a last resort. Some people don't like that idea because
                              it
                              > causes brewing companies to lose money. I think they make plenty
                              of
                              > money as it is.
                              >
                              > Good luck,
                              >
                              > Jay
                              >

                              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rehpotsirhcj"
                              > <rehpotsirhcj@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi guys,
                              > > I've just about got my still assembled, but I'm having problems
                              > laying
                              > > my hands on a stainless keg for the boiler.
                              > > Anyone in the Ellenburg WA area that might have a lead on one?
                              > > thanks much
                              > > Chris

                            • rehpotsirhcj
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jul 28, 2008
                                Congrats on the moderator position Mason, and thanks for the info.
                                I can't get my head around why you wouldn't want to control the amount
                                of distillate going back to the column. It seems as though an open
                                return would limit the rate at which you could collect the product.
                                If anyone has some clarification on that, I'm all ears. One valve would
                                definitely make it even simpler (fool proof is a good thing at this
                                stage).

                                I haven't built the condenser yet. I have two columns, either of which
                                I could use for the condenser, one is the 8 inch shown in the photo,
                                the other is about 20 inches. I had intended to use 1/4 tube wrapped in
                                an inch and a half coil, and then another over the top of that in
                                approximately a two inch coil. I had thought that would be sufficient,
                                however I did notice that your condenser is fairly tall. By adding a
                                liebig, did you mean in addition to the condenser?

                                Chris
                              • Jay
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jul 29, 2008
                                  Hey Chris,

                                  I spent a lot of time thinking about this when I was building my
                                  still and I agree with Mason that you really only need a product or
                                  take-off valve. The idea is that you will most likely always be
                                  refluxing more alcohol than you'll be collecting. So If you have a
                                  reflux valve, it will always be open more than your product valve,
                                  so why have it at all? If you intend to use your still strictly as
                                  a reflux still, this theory makes sense. But let's say you want to
                                  do a stripping run, or you want to use your still as a potstill in
                                  which you don't want to reflux anything, now is the time it would be
                                  nice to have that reflux valve in order to shut it completely and
                                  not reflux anything. However, there are ways you can accomplish
                                  this by using only a product valve also just by designing your head
                                  in such a way that the inlet of your reflux tube sits higher than
                                  the inlet of your take-off or product valve. I'll attempt to
                                  illustrate using characters:

                                  I o o I I I
                                  I o I I I
                                  I o I I I
                                  I o o I I I
                                  I _o_________ ___I I I
                                  I I I I I I
                                  I I I I I I
                                  I I I I I I
                                  I__I I______I I_I I I
                                  I I I I I I
                                  I_I I I I I
                                  VALVE > ( _ ) \ \ I I
                                  I I \ \_______I________ I
                                  I I \_______________ \ I
                                  I I I \ \ I
                                  I I I o I
                                  I I I o I
                                  I I I o I

                                  Now you can see that by barely opening the product valve, you are
                                  causing the distillate to accumulate enough to start refluxing. The
                                  more you open the valve, the less you reflux. Plus, by using this
                                  sort of design, if you wanted to run as a potstill or do a stripping
                                  run, you could open the valve all the way and the level of the
                                  distillate will drop below the level of the reflux tube opening and
                                  you would not be refluxing anything (except the lucky droplet that
                                  lands directly into the reflux tube).

                                  Like I said, I spent a lot of time thinking about this when I built
                                  my still and from what I see, you are building the same still. It
                                  took a while for me to wrap my head around it too, and eventually, I
                                  chose to use both valves and the taller reflux inlet which is
                                  absolutely redundant but I like to do things the more complicated
                                  way!

                                  Hope this helps you visualize what will be happening inside your
                                  still.

                                  Later,

                                  <rehpotsirhcj@...> wrote:

                                  > Congrats on the moderator position Mason, and thanks for the info.
                                  > I can't get my head around why you wouldn't want to control the
                                  amount
                                  > of distillate going back to the column. It seems as though an open
                                  > return would limit the rate at which you could collect the product.
                                  > If anyone has some clarification on that, I'm all ears. One valve
                                  would
                                  > definitely make it even simpler (fool proof is a good thing at
                                  this
                                  > stage).
                                  >
                                  > I haven't built the condenser yet. I have two columns, either of
                                  which
                                  > I could use for the condenser, one is the 8 inch shown in the
                                  photo,
                                  > the other is about 20 inches. I had intended to use 1/4 tube
                                  wrapped in
                                  > an inch and a half coil, and then another over the top of that in
                                  > approximately a two inch coil. I had thought that would be
                                  sufficient,
                                  > however I did notice that your condenser is fairly tall. By adding
                                  > liebig, did you mean in addition to the condenser?
                                  >
                                  > Chris

                                • Jay
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jul 29, 2008
                                    Sorry, never mind the characters! It didn't turn out the same as
                                    when I typed it! Just check out my photo album and I'll have an
                                    illustration posted there for you to see.

                                  • Jay
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jul 29, 2008
                                      No luck adding sketch to photo album but I did get it added to
                                      files. It's called "reflux head". I'll get this thing figured out
                                      eventually!

                                      Jay

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jul 29, 2008
                                        HI Jay,

                                        Im sorry, had to change your capabilities from group defaults, to
                                        un-moderated. You should now be able to create a folder in the Photos
                                        section and add your pictures.

                                        Vino es Veritas,

                                        Jim.

                                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jay" <ak_jay.1976@...> wrote:

                                        > No luck adding sketch to photo album but I did get it added to
                                        > files. It's called "reflux head". I'll get this thing figured out
                                        > eventually!
                                        >
                                        > Jay
                                      • rye_junkie1
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jul 29, 2008
                                          <rehpotsirhcj@...> wrote:

                                          > Congrats on the moderator position Mason, and thanks for the info.
                                          > I can't get my head around why you wouldn't want to control the amount
                                          > of distillate going back to the column. It seems as though an open
                                          > return would limit the rate at which you could collect the product.
                                          > If anyone has some clarification on that, I'm all ears. One valve would
                                          > definitely make it even simpler (fool proof is a good thing at this
                                          > stage).
                                          >
                                          > I haven't built the condenser yet. I have two columns, either of which
                                          > I could use for the condenser, one is the 8 inch shown in the photo,
                                          > the other is about 20 inches. I had intended to use 1/4 tube wrapped in
                                          > an inch and a half coil, and then another over the top of that in
                                          > approximately a two inch coil. I had thought that would be sufficient,
                                          > however I did notice that your condenser is fairly tall. By adding a
                                          > liebig, did you mean in addition to the condenser?
                                          >
                                          > Chris

                                          Hello Chris,
                                          Jay pretty much explained it correctly. You want the Reflux Return
                                          line about 1/4" above the product off take. When in full reflux
                                          mode/equilibrium the offtake valve will be closed. This will go on
                                          for about an hour. The condensed product will be automatically
                                          returned to the column for reflux. After an hour or so you will crack
                                          the Valve to about 10ml/minute. All excess will overflow back to the
                                          column and packing. If you put a valve on the return and limit how
                                          much you send back you are only prolonging the inevitable. The
                                          product flow rate will remain the same (10ml/min) but the Still head
                                          will start to fill to the point that the product over flows at the Tee
                                          and back to the column and packing pretty much making it just like the
                                          Design in Ian Smileys book that uses an elbow instead of a Tee.
                                          Personally I felt that the Elbow approach lacked control. Now if you
                                          are beer stripping or making whiskey you simply eliminate the
                                          equilibrium Phase and when the Still Head temp gets to 172F you open
                                          the valve to a rate of about 30-50ml/min for whiskey or all the way
                                          open for a strip. For Stripping I remove the valve and replace it
                                          with an open compression fitting. Or for whiskey you can open the
                                          valve all the way and adjust your heat to the desired flow rate like a
                                          pot rig.

                                          That condenser coil I have is 13" long for reference.
                                          The Liebig acts as a chiller for the distillate. This type of still
                                          head causes the Distillate to be Smoking hot. If you let it flow
                                          through a short (8") liebig it will come out cool the way it needs to.
                                          Plumbed as so: Fresh water in to bottom of liebig, out of liebig to
                                          condenser coil, out of coil to ground or recirculation tank.
                                          Hope some of this makes sense.

                                          Mason
                                        • jay lagasse
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jul 29, 2008

                                            Jim,

                                            The photos were no problem to add, but I was trying to add a sketch done with "paint" to my photo album and I guess the format is different.  I just added it to files and no problem.

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jul 29, 2008
                                              Try saving it as a JPEG or GIF, then upload it.

                                              Vino es Veritas,

                                              Jim.

                                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, jay lagasse <ak_jay.1976@...>
                                              wrote:

                                              > Jim,
                                              >
                                              > The photos were no problem to add, but I was trying to add a sketch
                                              done with "paint" to my photo album and I guess the format is different.
                                              I just added it to files and no problem.

                                              > Thanks,
                                              > Jay
                                            • rehpotsirhcj
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jul 29, 2008
                                                I think I have it now guys.
                                                Thanks very much for the explanation. I'll take your advice and
                                                eliminate the reflux valve, keeping the reflux inlet 1/4 inch above the
                                                distillate collection inlet. I may go with the taller condenser, since
                                                I have nothing to loose by overkill. I'll go as high into the 20 inch
                                                as I can afford with the price of copper tubing at 1.72ft. If it goes
                                                past that, the angels deserve it.
                                                I have a couple of electric submersible fish tank pumps. Maybe I can
                                                fill a cooler with ice and use the pump to re-circulate through the
                                                condenser. I could use another for cooling the product.
                                                I can't wait to get the rest of my parts together so I can get at it!
                                                :)

                                                Thanks again,

                                                Chris
                                              • rye_junkie1
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jul 30, 2008
                                                  <rehpotsirhcj@...> wrote:

                                                  > I have a couple of electric submersible fish tank pumps. Maybe I can
                                                  > fill a cooler with ice and use the pump to re-circulate through the
                                                  > condenser. I could use another for cooling the product.
                                                  > I can't wait to get the rest of my parts together so I can get at it!
                                                  > :)
                                                  >
                                                  > Thanks again,
                                                  >
                                                  > Chris

                                                  When I first started this Hobby I had a 5 gallon Recirc setup. Had no
                                                  idea at the time what i was doing and it was not efficient. I had
                                                  nothing to cool the water. However, For a pump I used a Bildge Pump
                                                  from Wal Mart. 20 bucks. Wire it to a 12v power supply from radio
                                                  shack and you have one hell of a pump.

                                                  Mason
                                                • rehpotsirhcj
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Aug 2, 2008
                                                    Couple more quick questions...
                                                    I finished the head today and began to look toward the recirc system.
                                                    I was thinking that I could freeze water in 5 or six milk jugs, place
                                                    them in a cooler, fill the remainder of the cooler with water, and then
                                                    use a submersible pump to circulate water through both the condenser
                                                    and the Liebig. I wonder if this would be sufficient? I'm not sure how
                                                    long I can expect a run to last, or how quickly I would loose my ice
                                                    to the returning warmer water. I tried the setup with an aquarium pump
                                                    today (because I already had a few) but it doesn't have enough umph to
                                                    move water to the top of the head from ground level. I'll use the
                                                    bildge pump as suggested. But it will have to wait until next week. I
                                                    think my wife may kill me when she finds out how much I've paid for
                                                    copper this weekend. :)
                                                    misc. questions:
                                                    how large diameter copper tube would you suggest for the reflux return?
                                                    What have you guys used to seal the thermometer at the top of the
                                                    column that wont compromise the product (I assume not rubber)? Seems
                                                    like soldering in a probe would destroy the thermometer.

                                                    Thanks much,
                                                    Chris

                                                    > When I first started this Hobby I had a 5 gallon Recirc setup. Had no
                                                    > idea at the time what i was doing and it was not efficient. I had
                                                    > nothing to cool the water. However, For a pump I used a Bildge Pump
                                                    > from Wal Mart. 20 bucks. Wire it to a 12v power supply from radio
                                                    > shack and you have one hell of a pump.
                                                    >
                                                    > Mason

                                                  • rye_junkie1
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Aug 2, 2008
                                                      <rehpotsirhcj@...> wrote:

                                                      > Couple more quick questions...
                                                      > I finished the head today and began to look toward the recirc system.
                                                      > I was thinking that I could freeze water in 5 or six milk jugs, place
                                                      > them in a cooler, fill the remainder of the cooler with water, and then
                                                      > use a submersible pump to circulate water through both the condenser
                                                      > and the Liebig. I wonder if this would be sufficient? I'm not sure how
                                                      > long I can expect a run to last, or how quickly I would loose my ice
                                                      > to the returning warmer water. I tried the setup with an aquarium pump
                                                      > today (because I already had a few) but it doesn't have enough umph to
                                                      > move water to the top of the head from ground level. I'll use the
                                                      > bildge pump as suggested. But it will have to wait until next week. I
                                                      > think my wife may kill me when she finds out how much I've paid for
                                                      > copper this weekend. :)
                                                      > misc. questions:
                                                      > how large diameter copper tube would you suggest for the reflux return?
                                                      > What have you guys used to seal the thermometer at the top of the
                                                      > column that wont compromise the product (I assume not rubber)? Seems
                                                      > like soldering in a probe would destroy the thermometer.
                                                      >
                                                      > Thanks much,
                                                      > Chris

                                                      Hey Chris,
                                                      I feel ya on the Price of Copper. I just picked up a 48 inch piece of
                                                      1.5". 40 bucks. Hopefully the xtra 18" will get me to the 95% level.
                                                      My other reason was that my pieced together column has a couple of
                                                      solder gobs in it that prevented me from using scrubbers or structured
                                                      packing. Still gonna try it with marbles first though.
                                                      On your frozen jug idea. I think a lot of the guys that use recirc
                                                      systems might employ this method or similar. It makes more sense to
                                                      me however to use then 1 at a time. In my mind I think they would
                                                      last longer. Keep an eye on the coolant temp. When it hits 100F or
                                                      so change to a fresh jug. I have seen some illustrations in some
                                                      books that run the water over a wash board that has a fan blowing on
                                                      it. The idea I think being to spread the water out over a wide
                                                      surface area to help cool it. I even saw a pic the other day where
                                                      they were running the cooling through a radiator with a fan blowing
                                                      over it. Again spreading the coolant out over a broad surface area.
                                                      In a recent thread a guy had a set up that when the water was returned
                                                      it went over a sheet the turned it into rain drops that again were fan
                                                      cooled. Just throwing out some ideas. A Reflux Run for pure or close
                                                      to pure etho will go at about 600ml-1L per hour. Plus an hour or so
                                                      with the valve fully closed to equalize the column. A typical run of
                                                      3 gallons of low wines for me goes about 12 hours.
                                                      As far as sealing the thermometer. I used a rubber bung from the brew
                                                      shop for a long time. The one in the top of my boiler lid is simple a
                                                      .150" hole that the digital thermometer slip through and I seal it
                                                      with the ever fool proof flour and water mixture. (called luting)
                                                      The rubber bung worked great for me. I bought on with a hole in it
                                                      and then screwed a compression fitting into it and again used flour
                                                      and water or sometimes teflon tape. Never had a leak.

                                                      Mason
                                                    • gff_stwrt
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Aug 2, 2008
                                                        <rehpotsirhcj@...> wrote:

                                                        > Couple more quick questions...
                                                        > I finished the head today and began to look toward the recirc
                                                        system.
                                                        > I was thinking that I could freeze water in 5 or six milk jugs,
                                                        place
                                                        > them in a cooler, fill the remainder of the cooler with water, and
                                                        then
                                                        > use a submersible pump to circulate water through both the
                                                        condenser
                                                        > and the Liebig. I wonder if this would be sufficient? I'm not sure
                                                        how
                                                        > long I can expect a run to last, or how quickly I would loose my
                                                        ice
                                                        > to the returning warmer water. I tried the setup with an aquarium
                                                        pump
                                                        > today (because I already had a few) but it doesn't have enough umph
                                                        to move water to the top of the head from ground level.

                                                        snip

                                                        > Thanks much,
                                                        > Chris

                                                        Hi, Chris, hi folks,

                                                        Chris, there is a simple answer that may solve your problem, but
                                                        first there is a question to answer;

                                                        Do you have a garden or a swimming pool that needs water?
                                                        If so, run the still on mains pressure and adjust your watering
                                                        times/ pool filling times (and perhaps your distilling times) so that
                                                        you can run a water outlet hose from the condenser to where you need
                                                        water.
                                                        No wasted water, no plumbing to do or pumps to buy and the garden
                                                        will look better than ever with the extra attention.

                                                        Regards,

                                                        The Baker
                                                      • rehpotsirhcj
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
                                                          I think your right about the one jug at a time Mason. Thinking about
                                                          it, you leave them in the freezer until you need them, the one jug in
                                                          the cooler should keep the temp near freezing until its thawed out, and
                                                          if not, then I guess it will be a quick thaw and I'll need another
                                                          method :)

                                                          did you use a 1/4 tube for the reflux return or?

                                                          boy I'm getting close...

                                                          Chris
                                                        • jay lagasse
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
                                                            Hey Chris.

                                                            Just thought I'd leave another suggestion, in case you needed more.  On your thermometer hole, since you probably have some scraps of 1/4" od tubing leftover, here's the way I did mine:  I drilled the hole where the thermometer would go and I drilled it large enough to fit a piece of 1/4"  tubing.  I slipped a piece of tubing onto the probe of my thermometer and marked it where I intended to cut it.  I then cut and fit the tubing into that hole and soldered it into place.  The thermometer slips into that tube until it stops when the back side of it hits the end of the tube.  I made sure that the tube was the right legnth so that when the thermometer was fully inserted, the tip of the probe is centred on the tee where the steam goes to the head.  The thermometer slipped in a little too easy at first and I wanted it to be more snug, so a very slight bend in the tube took care of that.  Now, it slips in and sort of "locks" into place.  There is no leaking on mine but you should make sure that the probe doesn't  fit into the tubing too loosely or else leaking would occur.  It's just an idea if you want to to expiriment with it.

                                                            As far as I'm concerned, 1/4" od tubing is perfect for a reflux tube.

                                                            -Jay

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                                                              Ohe never mind your wanting it for a boiler, well I would suggest just
                                                              going to a beer store and buying a keg, driking or dumping out the beer
                                                              and put on the attachments
                                                            • burrows206
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                                                                Hi Chris and Jay,
                                                                Another more mechanical way to do it is get a quarter inch
                                                                straight compression fitting, take one nut and compression ring off,
                                                                now measure the diameter of the threaded end piece. Drill and tap a
                                                                hole in the column wall where you intend to place your thermometer.
                                                                the column wall will be, strong and thick enough to accept a very
                                                                small thread (plenty for a small thermometer probe). Now screw in
                                                                your quarter inch fitting untill it stops,( be careful and don't
                                                                overtighten and wring the thread as you only have a little bit in
                                                                the wall thickness) back off 2 turns, wrap some PTFE plumbers thread
                                                                tape on the thread in same direction you tighten the fitting, tighten
                                                                up slightly more than finger tight (nipped very slightly with pliers
                                                                will sufice). This should seal it to the column wall.
                                                                Now take off the other nut off the other end and get rid of the
                                                                compression ring. Slip the compression nut over the probe then slide
                                                                in your thermometer to exactly where you want it in the column. Now
                                                                wrap about 20-25 turns of PTFE where the probe meets the compression
                                                                fitting(or enough to make it bunch up and make a sealing compression
                                                                ring of PTFE tape), slide the compression nut forward to the fitting
                                                                threads now tighten up until the probe wont slip inside the fitting.
                                                                You now have a perfectly gas tight seal that will take well over
                                                                16-18 inch pressure on a water gauge
                                                                Geoff