condenser vapor

  • pap214214
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 22, 2008
      Group,

      I recently ran water and vinegar through my valved reflux still and
      then just water to clean the still. I noticed that I could not keep
      vapor from rising out of the condensor. Temp was anywhere from 99.5 c
      down to 94c when turning down the heat. Still vapor coming out of the
      condensor.

      I hope it's just the higher temp is why. Im a little afraid to do a
      stripping run with the wash I have ready. Don't want to lose any good
      stuff.

      Any help or advise will be welcomed.

      Pap
    • pap214214
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 22, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pap214214" <stlco173@...>
        wrote:

        > Group,
        >
        > I recently ran water and vinegar through my valved reflux still
        and
        > then just water to clean the still. I noticed that I could not
        keep
        > vapor from rising out of the condensor. Temp was anywhere from
        99.5 c
        > down to 94c when turning down the heat. Still vapor coming out of
        the
        > condensor.
        >
        > I hope it's just the higher temp is why. Im a little afraid to do
        > stripping run with the wash I have ready. Don't want to lose any
        good
        > stuff.
        >
        > Any help or advise will be welcomed.
        >
        > Pap

        PS. I use propane for heat and had no packing in the column.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 23, 2008
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pap214214" <stlco173@...> wrote:

          > Group,
          >
          > I recently ran water and vinegar through my valved reflux still and
          > then just water to clean the still. I noticed that I could not keep
          > vapor from rising out of the condensor. Temp was anywhere from 99.5 c
          > down to 94c when turning down the heat. Still vapor coming out of the
          > condensor.
          >
          > I hope it's just the higher temp is why. Im a little afraid to do a
          > stripping run with the wash I have ready. Don't want to lose any good
          > stuff.
          >
          > Any help or advise will be welcomed.
          >
          > Pap

          Pap,

          Normally there are two possibilities which cause this:
          1. Too much heat - reduce the heat
          2. Not enough cooling - increase coolant flow or get a larger condenser

          Match the heat draw to the heat input by adjusting one, or other, or
          both.

          HTH