New Guy

  • hugh@gateway.net.au
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 8, 2001
      Hi all,

      I have built my still and am getting great results, 3.7 litres of
      91% - 94% every run.

      I am using a design from Tony Acklands top site and having heaps of
      fun most weekends (Sunday is Stillday for me).
      The output is still a bit stinky, but longer on the carbon seems to
      produce better results. I also might be a bit impatient and not
      refluxing enough. My main problems are trying to keep the fermenting
      mash cool in our 35° - 40° summers!
      I am keen to start more flavouring and building up my cocktail cabinet
      as I have only tried ( from still spirits essences) a gin (pretty
      good) bourbon (tastes like banana !! ???) and a white rum ( haven't
      tried it yet but it smells of banana/vanilla like the bourbon). Any
      one else noticed these esters creeping in?

      I have just started reading these groups and wanted to say hi and
      catch up with anyone in my area (S.W. Australia).

      cheers,

      Hugh
    • Frank N. Stein
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 14, 2004
        New Guy here...
        Ive been into winemaking and brewing for a few yrs now. With an
        emphasis on hard cider,,)i made 45 gallons last year, 6 differant
        recipes..
        Ive been interested in distillation for about a yr now.. I am also a
        welder, and i weld stainless steel, very handy...
        Distillation is illegal here in the USA, and i'd never actually
        distill anything,,,
        Although i do have a question... why might a distillate have a
        sulfur smell? it does go away after aging the distillate for a few
        months. Is this normal? Does everyone get this?
        I welded up a still (to distill water of course),, For my first rig
        i decided to keep it simple,, i made a 2 gallon pot still,, out of a
        2 gallon stainless kettle,, a stainless mixing bowl flipped upside
        down fit nicely on the top of the kettle,, i welded this on solid..
        2" column about 18" tall, rubber stopper/ thermometer.. 2/3rds of the
        way up the column is the water jacketed condenser,, pointed down at
        about a 45 degree angle,, 1/2 water lines hook to it like everyone
        elses,, Its pretty typical looking,, on a single run (if i
        actually distilled something) heh i get 120 proof,,, on a second run
        i get 160,,, not bad for my first rig..

        Ive learned a lot about hard cider and applejack ,,,i'll share my
        knowledge with ya'll,,, ill put some stuff in the files section..
        See Ya! Frank N. Stien
      • pthoma_nz
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 15, 2004
          why might a distillate have a
          > sulfur smell?

          Heyya. Welcome aboard. I'll give your questions a go but I am still
          pretty much the novice.....

          From what I know from homedistillers, the copper in the still
          contruction works to overcome the sulphur smell issue. I have one
          all stainless still and it definately imparts something that my two
          copper stills don't (or lacks something my others have). Some people
          just put a short copper pipe length inside the stainless pipe.

          The other way of getting sulphur apparently was to use
          metabisulphate, or similar as a sterilizing agent.

          I hope this helps....

          peet
        • Scott Petrinec
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 15, 2004
            I started out with winemaking as well. There are qutie a few practices in winemaking that are not so good to do when making a batch to distill. The first is...don't use campden tablets or any other type of sulfite(potassium metabisulfite, sodium metabisulfite). They will bring a sulfur smell into your distillate. Even though the smell might go away...you don't want a sulfite in your finished product, it will give you a nasty hangover, and a nasty taste in your mouth, not to mention, alcohol and sulfites dehydrate the human body alot worse than just alcohol.
            I'd LOVE to learn more about Hard Cider and AppleJack...I have an orchard, But my wifes grandpa won't share his apple recipes with me. Kinda sux, because his hardcider and applejack are real tasty. I would REAL appreciate if you could possibly email me a couple recipes and tips. My specialty is brandy from grapes(since I get grapes for free). So, if you need any pointers, recipes, etc....let me know.

            ~CrazyCro

            "Frank N. Stein" <straightrazor66@...> wrote:
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Scott Petrinec
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 15, 2004
              Copper helps alot...but mostly if it is in the path of the vapor. Using copper scrubbers or mesh in your collumn and/a copper condenser help the most.

              pthoma_nz <pthoma_nz@...> wrote:why might a distillate have a
              > sulfur smell?

              Heyya. Welcome aboard. I'll give your questions a go but I am still
              pretty much the novice.....

              From what I know from homedistillers, the copper in the still
              contruction works to overcome the sulphur smell issue. I have one
              all stainless still and it definately imparts something that my two
              copper stills don't (or lacks something my others have). Some people
              just put a short copper pipe length inside the stainless pipe.

              The other way of getting sulphur apparently was to use
              metabisulphate, or similar as a sterilizing agent.

              I hope this helps....

              peet

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • ben_swo
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 10, 2006
                Hi Everyone, I've just joined this group and hope to be an active
                member. Been distilling for a few weeks now I'll post a pic of my
                reflux still, been getting 92% from it, but with some more packers I'm
                sure it will go higher.

                I'm interested in making whiskey from scratch, not just flavouring up
                neutral spirit, if anyone has a simple successful recipe, I'd love
                it. I'm gonna run my still withou the packers to see if it performs
                like a pot still.

                Cheers, Ben
              • ian.teeling
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 8, 2008
                  Hello All,

                  I've just bought a StillSpirits Turbo Air Still, anyone got one?
                  Starting to brew a wash tomorrow. Wish me luck.

                  Regards, Ian
                • thepiro
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 9, 2008
                    Hi Ian

                    Welcome to the hobby of distilling, get ready to be impressed with
                    the results of your labours.

                    The air still or Easystill is a brilliant bit of kit for the beginner
                    and for the likes of my self who lives in an area with many prying
                    eyes.

                    The still is virtually idiot proof, it's so easy to operate, and the
                    instructions and supplies that come with the kit will give you a
                    successful first run.

                    With experience and a little knowledge the supplier's instructions
                    and supplies are easy to improve on, and some really tasty products
                    can be produced, but that's for later.

                    Enjoy the experience.

                    Regards

                    The Pyro
                  • ian.teeling
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 9, 2008
                      Hello Pyro,

                      Thanks for the reassurance that I've not bought some junk that wont
                      work, the guy in the home brew shop did a good sell,

                      Regards, Ian

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thepiro" <thepiro@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Ian
                      >
                      > Welcome to the hobby of distilling, get ready to be impressed with
                      > the results of your labours.
                      >
                      > The air still or Easystill is a brilliant bit of kit for the
                      beginner
                      > and for the likes of my self who lives in an area with many prying
                      > eyes.
                      >
                      > The still is virtually idiot proof, it's so easy to operate, and
                      the
                      > instructions and supplies that come with the kit will give you a
                      > successful first run.
                      >
                      > With experience and a little knowledge the supplier's instructions
                      > and supplies are easy to improve on, and some really tasty products
                      > can be produced, but that's for later.
                      >
                      > Enjoy the experience.
                      >
                      > Regards
                      >
                      > The Pyro

                    • Link D'Antoni
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 9, 2008
                        Welcome to our obsession... errr.. I mean.. our hobby.  ,-)

                        I haven't used the Easy Still. I learned early to make cuts every 150 ml on my Kenmore. In other words I separate the result as it comes off into 150ml increments.   To begin you might make smaller cuts until you get used to the Easy Still performs. With my machine I can now, pretty much, let it run out to one stopping point. If I change to a wash/wine that I don't have previous experience I will again make the smaller cuts.

                        Link