horse feed

  • djames@aculink.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2001
      hello to all,
      i have just signed up and i read thru 163 letters and responces and
      decided to butt in myself. i built a pot still with an old stainless
      const. water can [10 gal] and a stainles vessel used for soft drink
      carbination the top [carbonator vessel] is round, with a flat top
      fitted with a pop off valve, a nice orrifice for the thermometer and
      three outlets for my tubing.....if i welded some arms on it and
      painted a face it would look like r2d2 of star wars,,,,,
      i actually get quite a bit of reflux and come out with 120 proof
      and progress to 40 proof at 206 degrees. i save it up and run it thru
      once more and get a pretty good product. i got a recipe from tony's
      great website that was mannapro horse feed....and sugar......i like
      it ...but it has a extruded pellet in it that i think is
      alfalfa.....should i be picking it out?.....or did i buy the wrong
      horsefeed???
      i mite add that i know an old moonshiner in tenn. that swears by
      his [thumpa] and that there is no other way to make good whiskey as a
      matter of fact he thought i was crazy when i mentioned a reflux
      still.!!!......the people in the south [u.s.] know how to make good
      moonshine ......THEY'RE WAY.
      thanks for the great group and site.
      don james
    • djames@aculink.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 10, 2001
        i guess my question on the use of horse feed was not technical
        enough for this group....... how about this one.......i have three
        outlets [half in. copper tubes] coming out the top of my
        pot.....would i be better off with one 2 in. tube??
        thx.
        d.james
      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 10, 2001
          > i guess my question on the use of horse feed was
          >not technical enough for this group

          Its not like that at all. No snobs allowed. I've forward your question to
          Deb, who's recipe it was, but she hasn't replied. Maybe she's on holiday
          somewhere. I'm guessing not too many other people use horse feed as a
          starting point.

          >i have three
          >outlets [half in. copper tubes] coming out the top of my
          >pot.....would i be better off with one 2 in. tube??

          three half-inch tubes gives an area of 0.6 square inches, whereas a two
          inch diameter has an area of 3.1 square inches. The bigger area of the 2"
          tube means that the vapour velocity out it will be quite a bit slower, so
          it it goes up a bit, before angling down towards the condensor, you might
          get a bit more distillate running back into the pot (ie a little bit of
          reflux happening). This will lighten the flavour a little bit - sometimes
          a good thing. Also less likely to block, and easier to clean. As to
          whether its "best" depends on a whole lotta things - what the shape is
          like, surface area for cooling, what sort of flavour you want, etc. Some
          of these aren't scientific, but arty guesses based on experience. See the
          whole range of different commercial pot stills and their different
          diameters, lengths etc. Hard to say which is "right" or "better". See
          http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/commercial.htm . But if i had to
          pick, yeah I'd take the 2" over the 3 little ones.

          Tony
        • djames@aculink.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 11, 2001
            --- In new_distillers@egroups.com, Tony & Elle Ackland
            <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
            > > i guess my question on the use of horse feed was
            > >not technical enough for this group
            >
            > Its not like that at all. No snobs allowed. I've forward your
            question to
            > Deb, who's recipe it was, but she hasn't replied. Maybe she's on
            holiday
            > somewhere. I'm guessing not too many other people use horse feed
            as a
            > starting point.
            >
            > >i have three
            > >outlets [half in. copper tubes] coming out the top of my
            > >pot.....would i be better off with one 2 in. tube??
            >
            > three half-inch tubes gives an area of 0.6 square inches, whereas a
            two
            > inch diameter has an area of 3.1 square inches. The bigger area of
            the 2"
            > tube means that the vapour velocity out it will be quite a bit
            slower, so
            > it it goes up a bit, before angling down towards the condensor, you
            might
            > get a bit more distillate running back into the pot (ie a little
            bit of
            > reflux happening). This will lighten the flavour a little bit -
            sometimes
            > a good thing. Also less likely to block, and easier to clean. As
            > whether its "best" depends on a whole lotta things - what the shape
            is
            > like, surface area for cooling, what sort of flavour you want,
            etc. Some
            > of these aren't scientific, but arty guesses based on experience.
            See the
            > whole range of different commercial pot stills and their different
            > diameters, lengths etc. Hard to say which is "right" or "better".
            See
            > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/commercial.htm . But if i
            had to
            > pick, yeah I'd take the 2" over the 3 little ones.

            Tony

            thanks for the reply, i promise to be patient from now on......old
            age and cold colorado weather tend to make a fella grumpy!!!!.....it
            could also be jealosy for the warmth down under
            thx again
            don james