Re: Pot Stills

  • jasonrbaze
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008
      Thanks Mason and Jim, I hadn't read your replies until just now. I am
      kind of new to the forum process. Anyway I just finished running off
      the mash I was talking about in my previous post. I have been reading
      a ton of info at the web site and from a CD rom I got from e-bay also
      a book I bought simply called "Moonshine". Again, anyhow, I collected
      the first 1.5 ounces from the still considering I was only running
      off 4.5 liters, and threw that out, it did have a very harsh and
      almost over whelming smell. My thermometer is accurate, but the
      spirit doesn't begin to flow until about 189 degrees F. However I
      still tossed out the first 1.5 ounces or so, and collected the heads
      and middle, and just got rid of the tails. I was very suprised at the
      amount, I collected in total 24 ounces! I sampled a very small amount
      and really was suprised at the flavor, very fruity, yet strong. I
      checked it with my alcometer and it showed 53% abv. I again sampled
      some after carbon filtering, and with some apple juice and sugar and
      I must say it was very fine. I have the hydrometer but didn't take a
      reading off of that mash first, so I was shooting in the dark. I
      started another mash yesterday this time using store bought
      unsweetend apple juice and then added sugar. Before pitching the
      yeast, the hydrometer reading was 1.140. So we shall see. When I get
      this figured out alittle more I will make a little larger batches.
      Thank you for you replies, and I'm sure you will be hearing more from
      me very soon, however I am going to change my user name to something
      more up this alley! Thanks.
    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jasonrbaze" <jasonrbaze@...>
        wrote:
        . I
        > started another mash yesterday this time using store bought
        > unsweetend apple juice and then added sugar. Before pitching the
        > yeast, the hydrometer reading was 1.140. So we shall see. When I get
        > this figured out alittle more I will make a little larger batches.
        > Thank you for you replies, and I'm sure you will be hearing more from
        > me very soon, however I am going to change my user name to something
        > more up this alley! Thanks.

        Are you sure about the 1.040? What was the total volume and amount of
        sugar? Thats a really high starting gravity. If its correct then I
        hope you used a good HIGH GRAVITY yeast like EC1118. That gravity
        comes out to about 18% potential.

        Mason