Re: Making rhum without molasas?

  • castillo.alex2008
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hola billy

      I´m glad you like my explanations and that they somehow could help
      you. About the flavor remember during the fermentation either use:

      a) brown sugar (as I always do),or
      b) white sugar (10 pounds top to 20 liters) and a pint (2 cups) of
      molasses (no need to go all molasses, unless you´re rich LOL), or
      c)the unrefined sugar you tell me (which I think is organic sugar,
      what is called panela or papelón in Venezuela and Colombia).

      After spirits run: oak, macerations and honey (see my previous
      messages in this same thread)

      (I like to add here that one of the best rums I had I drank it at
      Canary Islands, Spain possesion in front of Africa, where I lived a
      few years and is called "ronmiel" is the normal rum but with a big
      amount of honey in it, try it)

      About the nutrients I suggest you to use around 60 grams (1/4 cup) of
      your favorite nutrient per 20 liters of ferment. Going less as you
      mentioned will give you the possibility of having a stuck
      fermentation and you´ll have to pitch new yeast and more nutrients to
      revive it.

      The lemon juice has the purpose of adjusting the PH of the wash; as
      you know yeast likes acidic environments (around 4.5 or 5 will be
      fine; remember that yeasts release byproducts that will lower the PH
      so don´t get too low). Some people want to boil the sugar with the
      lemon juice (or other weak acids) to invert the sugar, this is to
      transform sucrose (the chemical name of sugar) into its constituents
      fructose and glucose to somehow don´t stress yeasts, but that is not
      necesary since yeasts act perfectly well over the sucrose (table
      sugar). Ol´ citric acid can substitute lemon juice.

      About tomato paste it doesn´t have too much nutrients (its mainly
      potato puree and tomato puree); it is useful to have something to
      which yeasts will stick and prevent them go to the botton of the
      fermenter. Instead you can aireate twice your wash and use a big
      spoon to "shake" the whole thing forcing yeast to be all around, so
      It´s not necesary I think, but you may use it if you like.

      About the pee smelling that is urea, a nitrogen containg chemical,
      DAP can substitute it. (urea is in fact released in men´s urine).

      About the trace minerals Magnesium sulfate is the most important one
      and is very inexpensive. Again if you can afford bying a good
      nutrient go for it, but use a fair amount: 1/4 cup per 20 liters
      wash, don´t get stingy no matters what they say.

      Yeast Hulls or ghosts are the boiled yeast you told me. Their good
      since they give live yeast almost all nutrients needed. They are
      important, but again a good nutrient (i.e. fermaid K, etc). has it.

      I never use secondary fermentors. I either run a hazy wash (I use
      external heating not internal ones so I´m not afraid of burning
      solids) or use fining agents (sparkolloids, chitosan,etc.). If you
      don´t want to use any of those give the wash extra time (i.e. one
      more week) after this time you´ll have a perfectly clear wash.
      Siphon, double distill, age and enjoy.

      Alex

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "billy.turf" <billy.turf@...>
      wrote:

      > Alex,
      >
      > First off thank you for your through answer awsome, that's alot
      > really appreciate it.
      >
      > I have got raw "unrefined" cane sugar here in the grocery, it's a
      > little more expensive than the white stuff, but it does not contain
      > the caramel coloring and other extra chemicals that the brown sugar
      > has got in it here. It says it's raw unrefined sugar and contains 4-
      > 5% molasas
      >
      > Loafs of cane sugar are available at the health food store, the the
      > price is out of this world. That stuff looks like a big clump of
      fine
      > powder. I'm using the grocery store stuff without the addatives.
      >
      > I found dried boiled yeast at the health food store too. Oh this
      > stuff smells yucky!
      >
      > What do you think of yeast salt/nutrients I have a bag here from
      > vinoferm directions say 3-6grams per 10L it is food grade Di-
      > ammoniumfosfate and when disolved in water it smells like pee, yeah
      > like people pee! Should I be using this awful smelling stuff? I
      mean
      > I would have to have anything that tastes anything like either of
      > these things!
      >
      > I just moved my try over into the secondary, it's still quite
      active,
      > but I want to start another one. The first wash I used
      >
      > 8kilos of raw sugar
      > boiled for 20minutes in water with 2Tbs of lemon juice
      > 3Tbs yeast salt (pee stuff)
      > 1/3cup of dried boiled yeast
      > 6oz tomato paste
      > enough distillers yeats to get things running
      >
      > it doesn't smell sweet, but it's going like mad. I'm waiting for
      > everything to drop to the bottom in the secondary and I want to
      start
      > on the next wash already with your advice....The paste, I don't
      need
      > that when I have got yeast salt and the dried yeast stuff do I? Do
      > need to boil it with lemon juice or can I leave that step out too?
      >
      > Billy
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Here are a couple of suggestions for actual molasses but this
      would
      > be
      > > premium grade first run molasses and is made solid by boiling.
      > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panela
      > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaggery
      > >
      > > These are pretty common in the USA in the International food
      > stores. A
      > > frind of mine from France tells me that Jaggery is common in
      Indian
      > > and Pakastani food stores. Both these are about 90% fermentable
      > sugar.
      > > Good luck.
      > >
      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "just me" <hifa222@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hola Alex,
      > > > I would like more information on macerating and I would like to
      > know
      > > how you make yeast nutrients. i boil some of my trubs for the
      yeast
      > > shells. Gracios compas.
      > > > ps my Spanish is more tex-mex than carib or south american.
      > > >
      > > > just me
      > > > I just haven't been the same since they took my blankie away!

    • castillo.alex2008
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 12, 2008
        Hey Billy

        Glad you like it, but remember hooch without oaking is just "white
        dog", lol. I have found faster results using a cup (about 64 grams)
        per gallon of heavy toast american oak. Will be ready in much less
        than a month. Remember go easy with the spices, specially cinnamon.
        Some people claim to oak at high concentration and later dillute.
        They say the perfect concentration is about 55% ABV, age and later
        cut with (distill) water. Also watch out with honey. Too much will
        give you some hazy booze at the very beginning, but it will settle
        later. Use less than 50 ml per gallon (some people say 10 ml per
        gallon is ideal, but it´s a matter of taste I guess) or you can
        considered it as an extra spice an mix it after you age. I´ve tried
        both methods.

        wrote:

        > Alex,
        >
        > I ended up breaking down and using the 24hr 2-component clearing
        agents
        > from acoltec on both washes, they cleared up completly, looked like
        > carboid fulla pee!
        >
        > Stripped them last night and today, and I couldn't resist but have
        > little taste with a friend who had popped in.
        >
        > Oh that's niiiice! Thanks for the advice.
        >
        > I can taste the cane sugar or rather smell it, and it's smooth...
        this