Re: Making rhum without molasas?

  • billy.turf
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 1, 2008
      Alex,

      First off thank you for your through answer awsome, that's alot
      really appreciate it.

      I have got raw "unrefined" cane sugar here in the grocery, it's a
      little more expensive than the white stuff, but it does not contain
      the caramel coloring and other extra chemicals that the brown sugar
      has got in it here. It says it's raw unrefined sugar and contains 4-
      5% molasas

      Loafs of cane sugar are available at the health food store, the the
      price is out of this world. That stuff looks like a big clump of fine
      powder. I'm using the grocery store stuff without the addatives.

      I found dried boiled yeast at the health food store too. Oh this
      stuff smells yucky!

      What do you think of yeast salt/nutrients I have a bag here from
      vinoferm directions say 3-6grams per 10L it is food grade Di-
      ammoniumfosfate and when disolved in water it smells like pee, yeah
      like people pee! Should I be using this awful smelling stuff? I mean
      I would have to have anything that tastes anything like either of
      these things!

      I just moved my try over into the secondary, it's still quite active,
      but I want to start another one. The first wash I used

      8kilos of raw sugar
      boiled for 20minutes in water with 2Tbs of lemon juice
      3Tbs yeast salt (pee stuff)
      1/3cup of dried boiled yeast
      6oz tomato paste
      enough distillers yeats to get things running

      it doesn't smell sweet, but it's going like mad. I'm waiting for
      everything to drop to the bottom in the secondary and I want to start
      on the next wash already with your advice....The paste, I don't need
      that when I have got yeast salt and the dried yeast stuff do I? Do I
      need to boil it with lemon juice or can I leave that step out too?

      Billy

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@...>
      wrote:

      > Here are a couple of suggestions for actual molasses but this would
      be
      > premium grade first run molasses and is made solid by boiling.
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panela
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaggery
      >
      > These are pretty common in the USA in the International food
      stores. A
      > frind of mine from France tells me that Jaggery is common in Indian
      > and Pakastani food stores. Both these are about 90% fermentable
      sugar.
      > Good luck.
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "just me" <hifa222@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hola Alex,
      > > I would like more information on macerating and I would like to
      know
      > how you make yeast nutrients. i boil some of my trubs for the yeast
      > shells. Gracios compas.
      > > ps my Spanish is more tex-mex than carib or south american.
      > >
      > > just me
      > > I just haven't been the same since they took my blankie away!

    • castillo.alex2008
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 12, 2008
        Hey Billy

        Glad you like it, but remember hooch without oaking is just "white
        dog", lol. I have found faster results using a cup (about 64 grams)
        per gallon of heavy toast american oak. Will be ready in much less
        than a month. Remember go easy with the spices, specially cinnamon.
        Some people claim to oak at high concentration and later dillute.
        They say the perfect concentration is about 55% ABV, age and later
        cut with (distill) water. Also watch out with honey. Too much will
        give you some hazy booze at the very beginning, but it will settle
        later. Use less than 50 ml per gallon (some people say 10 ml per
        gallon is ideal, but it´s a matter of taste I guess) or you can
        considered it as an extra spice an mix it after you age. I´ve tried
        both methods.

        Alex

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "billy.turf" <billy.turf@...>
        wrote:

        > Alex,
        >
        > I ended up breaking down and using the 24hr 2-component clearing
        agents
        > from acoltec on both washes, they cleared up completly, looked like
        > carboid fulla pee!
        >
        > Stripped them last night and today, and I couldn't resist but have
        > little taste with a friend who had popped in.
        >
        > Oh that's niiiice! Thanks for the advice.
        >
        > I can taste the cane sugar or rather smell it, and it's smooth...
        this