Silicone Seals -look for Neutral Cure

  • thewilly789
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1 11:27 AM
      Hi,I've been trying to get a grip on silicone sealants ,reading the
      many many posts on it.People have mentioned RTV but some RTV's can
      have that acetic acid smell.
      After a little searching on the net i have found that you need to
      look for a non-acetic cure silicone.To get this you need to read the
      label an find one that says "Neutral Cure" -it really is Alcohol
      cure-hehe
      also note that the vinegar smelling ones are not to be used on
      stainless steel an are considered corrosive.Aquarium grade silicone
      RTV can possibly be acetic acid based so be aware.

      for my final net reference on it i found this data
      http://www.dowcorning.com/content/publishedlit/62-1492-01.pdf

      Hope this may help other people come to grips with the many ,many
      types of silicones available an get the proper one.

      Oh,other topic for Universal Mash -for people using
      fertilizers,please let us know what type or the main 3 components in
      it,since they can all vary a lot. Maybe we can find just the right
      ingredients needed with no extra chemicals.
    • headsmashedin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1 1:27 PM
        Using silicone? I never have, but I probably would if I thought I
        needed it. I am a simple man and over thinking gives me hives. If I
        wanted answers on how certain silicone reacts to solvents, such as
        alcohol. I would place several dabs of different silicones on a piece
        of wax paper and allow them to fully cure. Drop those dabs into a jar
        along with some alcohol, perhaps apply heat? leave them for a time and
        see how or if they hold their composure.

        Heads McGoatlick