Re: Lemon Oil for Limoncello

  • gff_stwrt
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2008
      Hi, Derek and folks,
      Just supposing you had a biggish hydraulic press
      (or, even, hallelujah, a commercial screw press, but you would have
      to have a lot of citrus!) (like maybe a truck load)
      in the shed in your back yard, or had a friend who had one....

      Well, it can be surprising what some people have. And some of us are
      farmers and would have that sort of equipment.

      I have read that the way to extract the essential oils from citrus is
      simply to compress the skins.
      For the hydraulic press, I thought of having made up some sort of
      fancy heavy-duty colander-type thing, but have come to the conclusion
      that even a flat plate to go underneath and one on top (both strong
      steel plate and suitably fixed in place,for safety)would do the job;
      and it would probably be better if say the top one of them was ridged
      and the bottom had raised edges (beyond the 'swept area' of the top
      one) and a hole or lip to direct the oil you would hopefully collect.

      I must have another look in the workshop on my son-in-law's farm, I
      have not long ago spent at least ten hours zesting lemons with a
      potato peeler!

      And I thought of using a bit of lemon juice in place of some of the
      water if it seemed as though it would improve the taste of the
      limoncello, especially as the spirit I used was not neutral but the
      result of my first efforts at pot-stilling so it is a bit harsh and
      might need masking a bit! I have in fact heard of others using some
      juice.

      Regards

      The Baker

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...>
      wrote:

      > When I make limoncello I use lemon oil for the infusion into my
      > neutral spirit (approx. 55%abv).
      > I leave it for a month, shaking the carboy every day.
      > Then I filter it and add enough simple syrup to achieve my desired
      > taste. Finally I dilute (if necessary) with distilled water to
      about 45%abv.
      > This works. But, sometimes I don't want to zest all those lemons
      and
      > end up with a lot of lemon juice to think up uses for.
      > Since it is essentially the lemon oil in the skin which gives it
      the
      > taste I was wondering about using bottled lemon oil from a health
      food store.
      > As a frugal distiller I'd like to learn from others rather than be
      > the point person in an experiment.
      > Have any of you tried this.
      > I do realize that I can do an experiment with a small quantity
      before
      > committing to doing it with about 11 litres of spirit.
      > So what I'm interested in is actual experience with this idea or
      any
      > strong prohibitions based on your reading and or experience.
      >
      > Derek
      > "The Whole World is about 3 drinks behind"
      > -Humphrey Bogart

    • Scott Stanley
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2008
        Please keep us up to date on this experiment.  Just a couple of suggestions/concerns I have:

        1) I would suggest stainless steel, because this is a natural degreaser and will pick any and all contaminates along with a reaction to the plain steel.  There is even several produces out there that are citric dissolvers.
        2) Extended periods of time in the press for many of the same reasons as above.
        3) Maybe a test with the majority of the pith remove from one batch, say using a peeler to take big "easy to get" peels instead of the tedious method required by traditional means.  Take those and compare the results of the entire skin/peel.
        4) Why would you use any lemon juice at all...????  it is not the taste or product that you want in lemoncello......

        Scott

        To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: derekhamlet@...
        Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:27:06 -0700
        Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: Lemon Oil for Limoncello

        Thank you for the hydraulic press idea.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2008
          Hi again Derek and folks,
          What we actually did is to juice the lemons (with a little but
          powerful electric citrus juicer)and simply freeze the juice for later
          use in cooking (cheesecakes and such); I took the zest off the halved
          peels after the juicing.
          And of course the juice is good to drink in the summer, with added
          water and sugar.

          wrote:

          > When I make limoncello I use lemon oil for the infusion into my
          > neutral spirit (approx. 55%abv).
          > I leave it for a month, shaking the carboy every day.
          > Then I filter it and add enough simple syrup to achieve my desired
          > taste. Finally I dilute (if necessary) with distilled water to
          about 45%abv.
          > This works. But, sometimes I don't want to

          snip

          > end up with a lot of lemon juice to think up uses for.
          > Derek
          > "The Whole World is about 3 drinks behind"
          > -Humphrey Bogart

        • gff_stwrt
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 3, 2008
            Hi,folks,
            Thanks, Scott for your thoughts.

            Actually this is not an experiment yet, and it may not ever be if my
            son-in-law hasn't got a press, but I think he may have one.
            You've given me a bit of a nudge towards trying out what until now
            has been an idea.
            Yes, stainless would be much better and it's quite possible black
            steel would not be suitable at all.
            I would not expect to leave the peels long in the press, the sort
            of press I am thinking of is taller than I am and really powerful.
            Could you tell me more about a 'peeler', I have a misty
            recollection of seeing some details of such a thing; would it be
            simple to fabricate? If not it would not be worth the effort.

            (I wonder if those small, old-fashioned apple peelers might just
            work...? The ones you screw down on your work-table and stick the
            apple on the big prong and turn a little handle and the peel comes
            off in one continuous strip...?)

            I would be surprised anyway if the bitterness from the pith came
            out in the 'lemon oil' during a fairly brief pressing of the whole
            peel; it seems more likely that the bitterness would be taken from
            the pith (if pith were left on the peels) by the alcohol during the
            long process of maceration. I might be quite wrong but it seems to me
            more likely.

            I am not at all concerned about whether my product is the same as
            the traditional limoncello though I would be happy if it were.
            As I said in my earlier post, my spirit was from my first attempt at
            pot-stilling (I do not have a reflux still) and might be a bit harsh
            and is not as flavourless as vodka. If replacing a bit of the water
            normally used, with lemon juice, seems to me to improve the result
            (in other words, if it tastes better to me) then that is what I will
            do. I have certainly read of it being done,and can't recall where,
            maybe a housewives' recipe.
            I have only tried the one limoncello, and I wouldn't be at all
            surprised, from the taste, if a bit of juice had been used in it to
            increase the 'lemoniness'; and I really liked it. It was a bulk
            product brought out on an 'Italian night' on a cruise ship.

            Regards,

            The Baker

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Stanley
            <scottkstanley@...> wrote:

            > Please keep us up to date on this experiment. Just a couple of
            suggestions/concerns I have:

            > 1) I would suggest stainless steel, because this is a natural
            degreaser and will pick any and all contaminates along with a
            reaction to the plain steel. There is even several produces out
            there that are citric dissolvers.
            > 2) Extended periods of time in the press for many of the same
            reasons as above.
            > 3) Maybe a test with the majority of the pith remove from one
            batch, say using a peeler to take big "easy to get" peels instead of
            the tedious method required by traditional means. Take those and
            compare the results of the entire skin/peel.
            > 4) Why would you use any lemon juice at all...???? it is not the
            taste or product that you want in lemoncello......

            > Scott
            >

            > To: new_distillers@...: derekhamlet@...: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:27:06 -
            0700Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: Lemon Oil for Limoncello

            > Thank you for the hydraulic press idea.At 07:50 AM 7/2/2008, you
            wrote:>Hi, Derek and folks,>Just supposing you had a biggish
            hydraulic press>(or, even, hallelujah, a commercial screw press, but
            you would have>to have a lot of citrus!) (like maybe a truck load)>in
            the shed in your back yard, or had a friend who had one....Derek"The

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 4, 2008
              wrote:

              > At 04:18 AM 7/3/2008, you wrote:
              >
              > >Hi again Derek and folks,
              > >What we actually did is to juice the lemons (with a little but
              > >powerful electric citrus juicer)and simply freeze the juice for
              later
              > >use in cooking (cheesecakes and such); I took the zest off the
              halved
              > >peels after the juicing.
              > >And of course the juice is good to drink in the summer, with added
              > >water and sugar.
              >
              > I find zesting after squeezing the juice is very difficult for me.
              > I zest first using a plane, then cut and juice the zestless lemons.
              > Works better for me that way.
              >

              > Derek
              > "The Whole World is about 3 drinks behind"
              > -Humphrey Bogart

              Hi, Derek and folks,
              Yeah, could well be easier to zest whole lemons. In my case the
              ladies had done the juicing , at least for the first 20 litre bucket
              of peels (!) when I realized that here was a great heap of peels I
              could zest for limoncello, instead of seeing them go to the rubbish
              tip. Anyway the job was tedious but not that difficult.
              Regards,
              The Baker

            • Derek Hamlet

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 15, 2008