Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Stripping

Expand Messages
  • abbababbaccc
    I usually collect some 9-10 liters from 25 liters mash, so you could try going up to 2 gallons even. The real clue of when to stop is to have a thermometer in
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
      I usually collect some 9-10 liters from 25 liters mash, so you could
      try going up to 2 gallons even. The real clue of when to stop is to
      have a thermometer in the boiler or parrot's beak. At 99C boiler temp
      or ~10% ABV in parrot's beak you'll be leaving some 100-200ml in the
      boiler.

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@...>
      wrote:

      >
      > I do my strip runs in my pot still because the tall salad bowl lid
      > keeps my mind at ease about foaming plus it is easier to clean.
      > However I have done a strip or 2 in my reflux still and the first was
      > with packing (pot scrubbers). Better have a strong solution of Citric
      > Acid and water on hand after that run. Packing was almost black. ABV
      > did come out a bit higher though.
      > I did want to comment on Alex's suggestion of stripping to 96C
      > (204.5F). Up until recently I collected up to 208.5F. Riku made a
      > suggestion to me to collect all the way to 1/3 the wash volume. In
      > other words if you have a 5 gallon wash you would collect 1.6 gallons
      > during the strip run which takes the temp up to 211F or 212F. I have
      > been doing this for a few washes now and the resulting abv of the low
      > wines is still around 40%. At 204F there is still a lot of usable
      > ethanol in the boiler. Even most of the books on the subject
      > recommend taking the wash over 207F. Just my 2cents.
      >
      > Mason
      >
    • castillo.alex2008
      ... wrote: Hi Mason and Riku, Collecting until 99C is possible, but I don´t want to squeeze that much that finally I get off flavors that
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
        <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

        Hi Mason and Riku,

        Collecting until 99C is possible, but I don´t want to squeeze that
        much that finally I get off flavors that will be later almost
        impossible to remove. Have that been your case when collecting up to
        99C?

        Alex

        >
        > I usually collect some 9-10 liters from 25 liters mash, so you could
        > try going up to 2 gallons even. The real clue of when to stop is to
        > have a thermometer in the boiler or parrot's beak. At 99C boiler
        temp
        > or ~10% ABV in parrot's beak you'll be leaving some 100-200ml in the
        > boiler.
        >
        > Cheers, Riku
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@>
        > wrote:
        >
        > >
        > > I do my strip runs in my pot still because the tall salad bowl lid
        > > keeps my mind at ease about foaming plus it is easier to clean.
        > > However I have done a strip or 2 in my reflux still and the first
        was
        > > with packing (pot scrubbers). Better have a strong solution of
        Citric
        > > Acid and water on hand after that run. Packing was almost
        black. ABV
        > > did come out a bit higher though.
        > > I did want to comment on Alex's suggestion of stripping to 96C
        > > (204.5F). Up until recently I collected up to 208.5F. Riku made
        a
        > > suggestion to me to collect all the way to 1/3 the wash volume.
        In
        > > other words if you have a 5 gallon wash you would collect 1.6
        gallons
        > > during the strip run which takes the temp up to 211F or 212F. I
        have
        > > been doing this for a few washes now and the resulting abv of the
        low
        > > wines is still around 40%. At 204F there is still a lot of usable
        > > ethanol in the boiler. Even most of the books on the subject
        > > recommend taking the wash over 207F. Just my 2cents.
        > >
        > > Mason
        > >
        >
      • abbababbaccc
        You can leave those nasties to the boiler if you have a proper reflux still. ARC and even VM with proper procedure does that automatically. No problems there.
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
          You can leave those nasties to the boiler if you have a proper reflux
          still. ARC and even VM with proper procedure does that automatically.
          No problems there.

          Cheers, Riku

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
          <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
          > <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
          >
          > Hi Mason and Riku,
          >
          > Collecting until 99C is possible, but I don´t want to squeeze that
          > much that finally I get off flavors that will be later almost
          > impossible to remove. Have that been your case when collecting up to
          > 99C?
          >
          > Alex
          >
          >
        • adam
          20L of wash not sure exactly what alchol% wash. What is a good proof or abv of a proper low wine should I target? I mean if I followed everything correctly
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 15, 2011
            20L of wash not sure exactly what alchol% wash. What is a good proof or abv of a "proper" low wine should I target? I mean if I followed everything correctly what abv should a low wine be?
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.