Re: Making rhum without molasas?

  • Sherman
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 1, 2008
      Here are a couple of suggestions for actual molasses but this would be
      premium grade first run molasses and is made solid by boiling.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panela
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaggery

      These are pretty common in the USA in the International food stores. A
      frind of mine from France tells me that Jaggery is common in Indian
      and Pakastani food stores. Both these are about 90% fermentable sugar.
      Good luck.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "just me" <hifa222@...> wrote:

      > Hola Alex,
      > I would like more information on macerating and I would like to know
      how you make yeast nutrients. i boil some of my trubs for the yeast
      shells. Gracios compas.
      > ps my Spanish is more tex-mex than carib or south american.
      >
      > just me
      > I just haven't been the same since they took my blankie away!

    • castillo.alex2008
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 12, 2008
        Hey Billy

        Glad you like it, but remember hooch without oaking is just "white
        dog", lol. I have found faster results using a cup (about 64 grams)
        per gallon of heavy toast american oak. Will be ready in much less
        than a month. Remember go easy with the spices, specially cinnamon.
        Some people claim to oak at high concentration and later dillute.
        They say the perfect concentration is about 55% ABV, age and later
        cut with (distill) water. Also watch out with honey. Too much will
        give you some hazy booze at the very beginning, but it will settle
        later. Use less than 50 ml per gallon (some people say 10 ml per
        gallon is ideal, but it´s a matter of taste I guess) or you can
        considered it as an extra spice an mix it after you age. I´ve tried
        both methods.

        Alex

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "billy.turf" <billy.turf@...>
        wrote:

        > Alex,
        >
        > I ended up breaking down and using the 24hr 2-component clearing
        agents
        > from acoltec on both washes, they cleared up completly, looked like
        > carboid fulla pee!
        >
        > Stripped them last night and today, and I couldn't resist but have
        > little taste with a friend who had popped in.
        >
        > Oh that's niiiice! Thanks for the advice.
        >
        > I can taste the cane sugar or rather smell it, and it's smooth...
        this