Re: weekend whiskey

  • daddyman00126
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
      Ok

      I did a test on medium toast oak chips and this is what I got.
      In one pint of 120 proof I added 2 grams of oak chips. I let it set
      for almost 2 weeks shaking the jar every day. After the 2 weeks I
      added water to bring it down to about 85 proof. This gave me a very
      light taste of oak.

      Now depending on what you are going for (light taste or strong taste)
      I would split you 750ml into 2 equal portions (about 2 pints) One
      pint I would put in about 2 grams maybe 3 grams of oak chips in. The
      second I would go heavy with and put in 3 to 4 grams of oak chips in.

      After a few weeks you will be able to take a half a shot glass of
      your whiskey, dilute down with about a teaspoon of water and taste
      it. You can do this with both pints and get the understanding of what
      flavors you have. At that time you can deside to let it sit longer or
      go ahead and put it thru a coffee filter to remove the chips.

      Now you can become a blender. You can take both of your pints and
      blend them to your taste. If you feel that they are to strong for
      you, you can always set them aside and wait for a next batch of
      homebrew and add neutral spirit to the pints to thin the taste down.

      I hope this helps

      BILL1BURP

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wilsotic" <wilsotic@...>