Oak in Aus

  • tippler106
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008
      Hello, Could any Aussie stillers tell me a source for oak chips or
      staves on the east coast. I can get some old Beenleigh rum kegs from
      Brisbane. He calls them collectors items now. They are over $100.200L
      size. How do those BBQ chips work? Do they do the job? Cheers, Tippler.
    • wilsotic
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008
        I got an offcut of american oak from a specialty wood shop. Chipped
        it myself and burnt the chips over a gas fire. Worked a treat.

        Wilson.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tippler106" <tippler106@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello, Could any Aussie stillers tell me a source for oak chips or
        > staves on the east coast. I can get some old Beenleigh rum kegs from
        > Brisbane. He calls them collectors items now. They are over $100.200L
        > size. How do those BBQ chips work? Do they do the job? Cheers, Tippler.

      • Peter Davis
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008
          To Tippler
          I would like to get hold of one of those old Bundy barrels
          How do I go about it??
          Hello, Could any Aussie stillers tell me a source for oak chips or
          staves on the east coast. I can get some old Beenleigh rum kegs from
          Brisbane. He calls them collectors items now. They are over $100.200L
          size. How do those BBQ chips work? Do they do the job? Cheers, Tippler.

          Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
          Checked by AVG.
        • tippler106
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008
            Hello Wilson, That specialty wood shop,That in Aus? Also Peter those
            200L barrels are Beenleigh barrels,not Bundy.Try craftbrewer.com.au
          • tippler106
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                Hello, I feel I may have breeched the rules in the post. Hey I am
                battling to use one of these computers and I am sorry I answered the
                questions that were asked. I am not trying to sell anything.I live out
                in the bush and enjoy brewing and starting to get this old pot still
                to work that I was given. I watch all the posts and I have seen
                others give info about retailers to help with getting hardware and
                ingredients.I think I see now why I see pm me so we don't clog up the
                forum. A friendly note may have been more of a nice way to reprimand
                me. Tippler
              • mavnkaf
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                  Hey Tippler, if you saw the Group rules, that happens month by month to
                  remind members of the group, it's not directed at you, it's directed to
                  tell All of us to be nice. For an example, posting while pissed with an
                  anrgy tone. Me, done it, and not proud about it.

                  There Are members here, and other distillers sites that know of places
                  where you can buy Oak barrels around here, starves and off cuts. Maybe
                  google Cooperage?

                  http://www.sacooperage.com/

                  Cheers
                  Marc

                  wrote:

                  > Hello, I feel I may have breeched the rules in the post. Hey I am
                  > battling to use one of these computers and I am sorry I answered the
                  > questions that were asked. I am not trying to sell anything.I live out
                  > in the bush and enjoy brewing and starting to get this old pot still
                  > to work that I was given. I watch all the posts and I have seen
                  > others give info about retailers to help with getting hardware and
                  > ingredients.I think I see now why I see pm me so we don't clog up the
                  > forum. A friendly note may have been more of a nice way to reprimand
                  > me. Tippler

                • mavnkaf
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                    As Side Note for Tippler106,

                    The link I gave was the first one I saw, and won't be the best one
                    for you of course. But still google cooperage, for Australia I'm
                    sure you will find a wine mob that will sell very high qualitity Oak
                    chips at different raosting states.

                    Cheers
                    Marc

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008

                      Hey Tip,

                      No you did not break any rules by suggesting suppliers for oak.  That posting for Group Rules - File - Group-Policy. html  is an automatic posting made on the first of every month to tell all new members (of which we are getting alot) about our Policies here.  There is nothing wrong with suggesting reputable suppliers to other members...

                      The main concern is playing "fair" and not having vendors use this forum as a marketing means.  What you dont see are all the postings that myself and the other Moderators have to reject every week on totally off the wall advertisements from porno to car insurance LOL,  which vendors try to post to us.

                      So please dont be offended in any way.

                      Vino es Veritas,

                      Jim.

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tippler106" <tippler106@...> wrote:

                      > Hello, I feel I may have breeched the rules in the post. Hey I am
                      > battling to use one of these computers and I am sorry I answered the
                      > questions that were asked. I am not trying to sell anything.I live out
                      > in the bush and enjoy brewing and starting to get this old pot still
                      > to work that I was given. I watch all the posts and I have seen
                      > others give info about retailers to help with getting hardware and
                      > ingredients.I think I see now why I see pm me so we don't clog up the
                      > forum. A friendly note may have been more of a nice way to reprimand
                      > me. Tippler

                    • wilsotic
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                        For the life of me I can't remember their name. I will work it out and
                        let you know.

                        But have a look through the yellow pages. Dont try the big ones like
                        bunnings etc. The ones that do specialty woods will make it obvious.
                        You shit hit paydirt within five phone calls.

                        Wilson

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                          Tippler
                          I think "Marks homebrewing in Ncle has staves from distilleries
                          I am going down next week, I`ll ask him
                          He is also an excellent source of ANYTHING, as well as REALLY good advice , and on top od that, a real nice bloke as well

                            Cheers  Pete