Stripping

  • headsmashedin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2008
      Do you gents remove your packing when stripping?

      Heads
    • castillo.alex2008
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2008
        Hola Heads!

        Yep! I remove it all. Put the to the maximum possible heat and collect
        everything up to 96C; I add Baking soda (1 Tblsp per liter of collected
        strip) and some water to dilute to 35 - 40% ABV (keep it safe!). I
        Store this until I have enough of these jugs to begin a spirits run
        where I make the cuts.

        Alex

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "headsmashedin"
        <headsmashedin@...> wrote:

        > Do you gents remove your packing when stripping?
        >
        > Heads

      • headsmashedin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 30, 2008
          Yea, I kind of thought it wise. My thinking was why would I want to
          run nasty stuff through my copper packing if I don't have to. Thanks
          for the additional info as I never did the baking soda thing.

          Heads

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
          <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

          > Hola Heads!
          >
          > Yep! I remove it all. Put the to the maximum possible heat and
          collect
          > everything up to 96C; I add Baking soda (1 Tblsp per liter of
          collected
          > strip) and some water to dilute to 35 - 40% ABV (keep it safe!). I
          > Store this until I have enough of these jugs to begin a spirits run
          > where I make the cuts.
          >
          > Alex
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "headsmashedin"
          > <headsmashedin@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Do you gents remove your packing when stripping?
          > >
          > > Heads

        • rye_junkie1
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
            <headsmashedin@...> wrote:

            > Yea, I kind of thought it wise. My thinking was why would I want to
            > run nasty stuff through my copper packing if I don't have to. Thanks
            > for the additional info as I never did the baking soda thing.
            >
            > Heads
            >

            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "headsmashedin"
            > > <headsmashedin@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Do you gents remove your packing when stripping?
            > > >
            > > > Heads

            I do my strip runs in my pot still because the tall salad bowl lid
            keeps my mind at ease about foaming plus it is easier to clean.
            However I have done a strip or 2 in my reflux still and the first was
            with packing (pot scrubbers). Better have a strong solution of Citric
            Acid and water on hand after that run. Packing was almost black. ABV
            did come out a bit higher though.
            I did want to comment on Alex's suggestion of stripping to 96C
            (204.5F). Up until recently I collected up to 208.5F. Riku made a
            suggestion to me to collect all the way to 1/3 the wash volume. In
            other words if you have a 5 gallon wash you would collect 1.6 gallons
            during the strip run which takes the temp up to 211F or 212F. I have
            been doing this for a few washes now and the resulting abv of the low
            wines is still around 40%. At 204F there is still a lot of usable
            ethanol in the boiler. Even most of the books on the subject
            recommend taking the wash over 207F. Just my 2cents.

            Mason
          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
              I usually collect some 9-10 liters from 25 liters mash, so you could
              try going up to 2 gallons even. The real clue of when to stop is to
              have a thermometer in the boiler or parrot's beak. At 99C boiler temp
              or ~10% ABV in parrot's beak you'll be leaving some 100-200ml in the
              boiler.

              Cheers, Riku

              > I do my strip runs in my pot still because the tall salad bowl lid
              > keeps my mind at ease about foaming plus it is easier to clean.
              > However I have done a strip or 2 in my reflux still and the first was
              > with packing (pot scrubbers). Better have a strong solution of Citric
              > Acid and water on hand after that run. Packing was almost black. ABV
              > did come out a bit higher though.
              > I did want to comment on Alex's suggestion of stripping to 96C
              > (204.5F). Up until recently I collected up to 208.5F. Riku made a
              > suggestion to me to collect all the way to 1/3 the wash volume. In
              > other words if you have a 5 gallon wash you would collect 1.6 gallons
              > during the strip run which takes the temp up to 211F or 212F. I have
              > been doing this for a few washes now and the resulting abv of the low
              > wines is still around 40%. At 204F there is still a lot of usable
              > ethanol in the boiler. Even most of the books on the subject
              > recommend taking the wash over 207F. Just my 2cents.
              >
              > Mason

            • castillo.alex2008
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
                <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                Hi Mason and Riku,

                Collecting until 99C is possible, but I don´t want to squeeze that
                much that finally I get off flavors that will be later almost
                impossible to remove. Have that been your case when collecting up to
                99C?

                Alex

                > I usually collect some 9-10 liters from 25 liters mash, so you could
                > try going up to 2 gallons even. The real clue of when to stop is to
                > have a thermometer in the boiler or parrot's beak. At 99C boiler
                temp
                > or ~10% ABV in parrot's beak you'll be leaving some 100-200ml in the
                > boiler.
                >
                > Cheers, Riku
                >
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@>
                > wrote:
                >

                > > I do my strip runs in my pot still because the tall salad bowl lid
                > > keeps my mind at ease about foaming plus it is easier to clean.
                > > However I have done a strip or 2 in my reflux still and the first
                was
                > > with packing (pot scrubbers). Better have a strong solution of
                Citric
                > > Acid and water on hand after that run. Packing was almost
                black. ABV
                > > did come out a bit higher though.
                > > I did want to comment on Alex's suggestion of stripping to 96C
                > > (204.5F). Up until recently I collected up to 208.5F. Riku made
                > > suggestion to me to collect all the way to 1/3 the wash volume.
                In
                > > other words if you have a 5 gallon wash you would collect 1.6
                gallons
                > > during the strip run which takes the temp up to 211F or 212F. I
                have
                > > been doing this for a few washes now and the resulting abv of the
                low
                > > wines is still around 40%. At 204F there is still a lot of usable
                > > ethanol in the boiler. Even most of the books on the subject
                > > recommend taking the wash over 207F. Just my 2cents.
                > >
                > > Mason

              • abbababbaccc
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
                  You can leave those nasties to the boiler if you have a proper reflux
                  still. ARC and even VM with proper procedure does that automatically.
                  No problems there.

                  Cheers, Riku

                  <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
                  > <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
                  >
                  > Hi Mason and Riku,
                  >
                  > Collecting until 99C is possible, but I don´t want to squeeze that
                  > much that finally I get off flavors that will be later almost
                  > impossible to remove. Have that been your case when collecting up to
                  > 99C?
                  >
                  > Alex

                • adam
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 15, 2011
                    20L of wash not sure exactly what alchol% wash. What is a good proof or abv of a "proper" low wine should I target? I mean if I followed everything correctly what abv should a low wine be?