Making rhum without molasas?

  • billy.turf
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 30, 2008
      Alex,

      Can you help me make rhum? Where I live there is no molasas at all. i
      have looked at every grocery I know of in 3 countries already, no
      molasas, but i can get raw cane sugar for about 1.5x the price of white
      sugar... still not insanely expensive.

      Can you give any advice on making some kind of rum wash where there is
      no access to moalsas? Does Rhum have to be made from fresh cane juice,
      or can it be made from raw sugar? There are heath food shops here, and
      brew shops, so there are alot of things I do have access to. Just not
      molasas.

      I found a link about rhum that I wanted to share....
      http://www.caribbean-spirits.com/rhumagricole.htm

      Billy
    • castillo.alex2008
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 12, 2008
        Hey Billy

        Glad you like it, but remember hooch without oaking is just "white
        dog", lol. I have found faster results using a cup (about 64 grams)
        per gallon of heavy toast american oak. Will be ready in much less
        than a month. Remember go easy with the spices, specially cinnamon.
        Some people claim to oak at high concentration and later dillute.
        They say the perfect concentration is about 55% ABV, age and later
        cut with (distill) water. Also watch out with honey. Too much will
        give you some hazy booze at the very beginning, but it will settle
        later. Use less than 50 ml per gallon (some people say 10 ml per
        gallon is ideal, but it´s a matter of taste I guess) or you can
        considered it as an extra spice an mix it after you age. I´ve tried
        both methods.

        Alex

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "billy.turf" <billy.turf@...>
        wrote:

        > Alex,
        >
        > I ended up breaking down and using the 24hr 2-component clearing
        agents
        > from acoltec on both washes, they cleared up completly, looked like
        > carboid fulla pee!
        >
        > Stripped them last night and today, and I couldn't resist but have
        > little taste with a friend who had popped in.
        >
        > Oh that's niiiice! Thanks for the advice.
        >
        > I can taste the cane sugar or rather smell it, and it's smooth...
        this