weekend whiskey

  • wilsotic
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29 6:04 AM
      Hi All,

      Last night I toasted some small chips of american oak over my gas
      stove. The pieces caught fire and I let them burn for a while (30
      secs). I put about 5 pieces in a normal bottle of 40% neutral spirit
      i produced that day. My plan was to let it cycle between the fridge
      and shelf over the next couple of weeks.

      Long story short... I got home tonight and couldn't resist. i didn't
      expect any real change to the flavour considering it was less than 24
      hours in the bottle.

      Holy #!@$, I was like i had just had a sip of beam. I was absolutely
      clear, but the flavour was unmistakable.

      Enough bragging and now the question. If I can taste the flavour
      after one day, have I seriously over wooded the bottle?

      I wood estimate (haha) that I have added 1/4 ounce in the bottle.

      regards

      Wilson.
    • daddyman00126
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 29 7:08 AM
        How big is the bottle and about how much spirit do you have in it?

        BILL1BURP

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wilsotic" <wilsotic@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Last night I toasted some small chips of american oak over my gas
        > stove. The pieces caught fire and I let them burn for a while (30
        > secs). I put about 5 pieces in a normal bottle of 40% neutral
        spirit
        > i produced that day. My plan was to let it cycle between the
        fridge
        > and shelf over the next couple of weeks.
        >
        > Long story short... I got home tonight and couldn't resist. i
        didn't
        > expect any real change to the flavour considering it was less than
        24
        > hours in the bottle.
        >
        > Holy #!@$, I was like i had just had a sip of beam. I was
        absolutely
        > clear, but the flavour was unmistakable.
        >
        > Enough bragging and now the question. If I can taste the flavour
        > after one day, have I seriously over wooded the bottle?
        >
        > I wood estimate (haha) that I have added 1/4 ounce in the bottle.
        >
        > regards
        >
        > Wilson.

      • wilsotic
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30 7:02 PM
          It was fairly close to 750ml in a standard vodka bottle.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
          <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

          > How big is the bottle and about how much spirit do you have in it?
          >
          > BILL1BURP
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wilsotic" <wilsotic@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi All,
          > >
          > > Last night I toasted some small chips of american oak over my gas
          > > stove. The pieces caught fire and I let them burn for a while (30
          > > secs). I put about 5 pieces in a normal bottle of 40% neutral
          > spirit
          > > i produced that day. My plan was to let it cycle between the
          > fridge
          > > and shelf over the next couple of weeks.
          > >
          > > Long story short... I got home tonight and couldn't resist. i
          > didn't
          > > expect any real change to the flavour considering it was less than
          > 24
          > > hours in the bottle.
          > >
          > > Holy #!@$, I was like i had just had a sip of beam. I was
          > absolutely
          > > clear, but the flavour was unmistakable.
          > >
          > > Enough bragging and now the question. If I can taste the flavour
          > > after one day, have I seriously over wooded the bottle?
          > >
          > > I wood estimate (haha) that I have added 1/4 ounce in the bottle.
          > >
          > > regards
          > >
          > > Wilson.

        • daddyman00126
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
            Ok

            I did a test on medium toast oak chips and this is what I got.
            In one pint of 120 proof I added 2 grams of oak chips. I let it set
            for almost 2 weeks shaking the jar every day. After the 2 weeks I
            added water to bring it down to about 85 proof. This gave me a very
            light taste of oak.

            Now depending on what you are going for (light taste or strong taste)
            I would split you 750ml into 2 equal portions (about 2 pints) One
            pint I would put in about 2 grams maybe 3 grams of oak chips in. The
            second I would go heavy with and put in 3 to 4 grams of oak chips in.

            After a few weeks you will be able to take a half a shot glass of
            your whiskey, dilute down with about a teaspoon of water and taste
            it. You can do this with both pints and get the understanding of what
            flavors you have. At that time you can deside to let it sit longer or
            go ahead and put it thru a coffee filter to remove the chips.

            Now you can become a blender. You can take both of your pints and
            blend them to your taste. If you feel that they are to strong for
            you, you can always set them aside and wait for a next batch of
            homebrew and add neutral spirit to the pints to thin the taste down.

            I hope this helps