Re: [new_distillers] I'm not going away

  • Brad McMahon
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2001
      It's not tricky at all. Methanol is a by-product of
      fermentation; more methanol is produced in fruit
      fermentation than in grains. Brewers do not remove
      the methanol in beer and wine because methanol is not
      especially toxic at low concentrations.
      You are looking at between 0.4%-1% methanol in wines
      and brandies and smaller amounts in beers.
      Distillers remove almost all the methanol in most cases.
      Ever notice how vodka produces clean hangovers and wines
      (particularly reds) give you very nasty hangovers? Methanol.
      That, and dehydration!

      Methanol is an especially nasty type of alcohol because the body tries to
      break it down the same way it metabolizes, or breaks down, ethanol, the type
      of alcohol in beer, wine and other drinks. Metabolizing ethanol produces
      chemicals less toxic to the body than alcohol. Unfortunately, if the same
      chemical action is performed on methanol the result is formic acid, lactic
      acid and formaldehyde.

      Formaldehyde attacks nerve cells, especially the optic nerve and can damage
      the liver and kidneys. Formic acid and lactic acid also attack the kidneys and
      liver. Most people who have drunk methanol die of severe and sudden kidney and
      liver failure.

      Chronic methanol drinking will cause optical damage. The stories of moonshine
      causing blindness comes from U.S. prohibition times where some bootleggers
      used to cut moonshine with methylated spirits to increase profit.

      Tony's web page has more info.

      Cheers,

      Brad