placing needle valve on reflux side

  • wilsotic
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15, 2008
      hi All,

      I was doing a run last night and noticed that as things were
      progressing, the amount of reflux was reducing. The amount of spirit
      I was removing was constant as this is where the needle valve is. So
      the rest of my post is assuming that towards the end of the run, the
      amount vapour flow, and therefore condensate, reduces.

      I was thinking of swapping the reflux and the take off lines so that
      the needle valve was now controlling the amount of reflux. The
      overflow from this would then be the final product.

      I imagine that this would make my reflux more constant and therefore
      control my column temperatures better.

      During a normal run (2" column), I am getting 25 ml per minute reflux
      and 5 ml per minute as product. I haven't yet tested whether the
      needle valve can accurately control the larger flow.

      Before I try it, I would appreciate any comments thrown my way.

      regards

      Wilson.
    • wilsotic
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 15, 2008
        Hi All,

        Thanks Riku!! You answered my question already. Is this reflux
        management you mention in your online book at tastytime.net.

        Wilson.
      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 15, 2008
          Early versions are in the online book.

          Cheers, Riku

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wilsotic" <wilsotic@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > Thanks Riku!! You answered my question already. Is this reflux
          > management you mention in your online book at tastytime.net.
          >

          > Wilson.

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 15, 2008
            Placing the needle valve to product return line would indeed help.
            This line of thinking led to the ARC few years ago.