Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Cherries

Expand Messages
  • idahomole
    My local supermarket is having a sale on Cherries this weekend. I have about 1 liter of 90% alc and thought I would put the two together. Does anyone have some
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 13, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      My local supermarket is having a sale on Cherries this weekend. I have
      about 1 liter of 90% alc and thought I would put the two together. Does
      anyone have some simple receipes? I don't want to ferment into a wine
      but depending on the quantity required I could do that. I was thinking
      maceration and re-distill if needed? Any suggestions welcome.

      Mole
      Finally getting some sunshine up here :)
    • rye_junkie1
      ... Heres one from the book Moonshine . I have not tried it. Cherry Bounce 1/2 gallon of sweet cherries such as Bing 1/2 gallon of sour Pie cherries 1 pint
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 13, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "idahomole" <idahomole@...> wrote:
        >
        > My local supermarket is having a sale on Cherries this weekend. I have
        > about 1 liter of 90% alc and thought I would put the two together. Does
        > anyone have some simple receipes? I don't want to ferment into a wine
        > but depending on the quantity required I could do that. I was thinking
        > maceration and re-distill if needed? Any suggestions welcome.
        >
        > Mole
        > Finally getting some sunshine up here :)
        >
        Heres one from the book "Moonshine". I have not tried it.
        Cherry Bounce
        1/2 gallon of sweet cherries such as Bing
        1/2 gallon of sour Pie cherries
        1 pint of Honey clover or tupelo
        corn whiskey or bourbon ( your hooch should do but I would cut to
        100proof)
        5 three inch long cinnamon sticks (optional)
        Wash and drain cherries then lightly crush in a bowl. Transfer Juice,
        pulp, and pits to 1 gallon jar and add honey. Fill nearly to top with
        hooch and add cinnamon. Close it up tight and shake the hell out of
        it. Put it in a cool dark place for 6 months ( doubt I could wait
        that long) and give it a shake now and then.
        Dont know if this helps you but its out there now.

        Mason
      • idahomole
        Thanks Mason, it does indeed help. Anyone else want to chime in? Mole
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 13, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          Thanks Mason, it does indeed help. Anyone else want to chime in?

          Mole
        • jamesonbeam1
          Here Mole, From Info base - recipe for cherry liqueur in Advanced Distillers: Vino es Veritas, Jim. ... wrote: CHERRY LIQUEUR Cherry
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 13, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            Here Mole,

            From Info base - recipe for cherry liqueur in Advanced Distillers:
            Vino es Veritas,
            Jim.


            --- In BEVERAGE-RECIPE@yahoogroups.com, "Dahlin Lavanda"
            <lavanda_dahlin@h...> wrote:
            CHERRY LIQUEUR

            Cherry liqueurs are among
            the easiest liqueurs to
            make at home, and it is
            also easy to obtain a
            flavor which is comparable
            with commercial cherry
            liqueurs.

            Homemade cherry liqueurs
            may be served with ice,
            and may also be used for
            making cocktails.

            Ingredients:

            1 lb (450 g) sour cherries
            3 cups (710 ml) vodka (or 1 1/2 cup pure
            grain alcohol + 1 1/2 cup water).
            1 1/2 cup (350 g) sugar

            Wash and check the cherries and remove stems.

            Place them in a jar, add vodka, cap with tight
            lid and mix.

            Stir daily during the first days, later at
            least once a week for 3-4 weeks.

            Add sugar, and stir until most of it has
            dissolved.

            Stir again at least once a week for 3-4 weeks.

            Filter the mixture of berries and alcohol and
            transfer the liquid to a bottle.

            After three months strain the liqueur thru a cloth.

            Add some more sugar if necessary.

            The liqueur should mellow for at least 4 months
            before drinking, preferably for 8 months.

            The color of the cherry liqueur is ruby-red and the
            flavor is delicious.

            This recipe can also be used with sweet cherries,
            but the flavor will then be slightly different.

            If you wish to make a liqueur with a stronger hint
            of almond flavor you should pit 1/3 of the cherries,
            break the pits with a hammer, and add the broken
            piths together with pitted cherries and whole
            cherries when making the liqueur.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "idahomole" <idahomole@...>
            wrote:
            >
            > Thanks Mason, it does indeed help. Anyone else want to chime in?
            >
            > Mole
            >
          • daddyman00126
            This sounds good Mason. I will have to try this one. Thanks BILL1BURP ... have ... together. Does ... wine ... thinking ... Juice, ... with
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 14, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              This sounds good Mason. I will have to try this one.

              Thanks

              BILL1BURP

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@...>
              wrote:
              >
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "idahomole" <idahomole@>
              wrote:
              > >
              > > My local supermarket is having a sale on Cherries this weekend. I
              have
              > > about 1 liter of 90% alc and thought I would put the two
              together. Does
              > > anyone have some simple receipes? I don't want to ferment into a
              wine
              > > but depending on the quantity required I could do that. I was
              thinking
              > > maceration and re-distill if needed? Any suggestions welcome.
              > >
              > > Mole
              > > Finally getting some sunshine up here :)
              > >
              > Heres one from the book "Moonshine". I have not tried it.
              > Cherry Bounce
              > 1/2 gallon of sweet cherries such as Bing
              > 1/2 gallon of sour Pie cherries
              > 1 pint of Honey clover or tupelo
              > corn whiskey or bourbon ( your hooch should do but I would cut to
              > 100proof)
              > 5 three inch long cinnamon sticks (optional)
              > Wash and drain cherries then lightly crush in a bowl. Transfer
              Juice,
              > pulp, and pits to 1 gallon jar and add honey. Fill nearly to top
              with
              > hooch and add cinnamon. Close it up tight and shake the hell out of
              > it. Put it in a cool dark place for 6 months ( doubt I could wait
              > that long) and give it a shake now and then.
              > Dont know if this helps you but its out there now.
              >
              > Mason
              >
            • idahomole
              Thank ya Jim. That is the one I went with. I used sweet cherries and did not add any cracked stones. It was turning a nice pink color within 2 or 3 hours. I
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 15, 2008
              • 0 Attachment
                Thank ya Jim. That is the one I went with. I used sweet cherries and
                did not add any cracked stones. It was turning a nice pink color within
                2 or 3 hours. I will let y'all know how it tastes....oh....sometime
                around Christmas!...:)

                Mole
              • jamesonbeam1
                Yea Rights Bro, If ya like me you ll be lucky to make it through September :):):). Vino es Veritas, Jim. ... within
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 15, 2008
                • 0 Attachment
                  Yea Rights Bro,

                  If ya like me you'll be lucky to make it through September :):):).

                  Vino es Veritas,
                  Jim.

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "idahomole" <idahomole@...>
                  wrote:
                  >
                  > Thank ya Jim. That is the one I went with. I used sweet cherries and
                  > did not add any cracked stones. It was turning a nice pink color
                  within
                  > 2 or 3 hours. I will let y'all know how it tastes....oh....sometime
                  > around Christmas!...:)
                  >
                  > Mole
                  >
                • Francis Wolffe
                  Jim, That almond flavor you re tasting is probably the cyanogenic (i.e., cyanide-forming) glycosides being leeched out by the hooch. You might want to avoid
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 15, 2008
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Jim,
                    That almond flavor you're tasting is probably the cyanogenic (i.e.,
                    cyanide-forming) glycosides being leeched out by the hooch. You might
                    want to avoid using cherry, apricot, or apple seeds. That's unless
                    you don't mind getting a little sicker than usual from drinking too
                    much. Depending on how many cherry stones are used you could end up
                    with whiskey that has an unexpected kick.

                    -Frank

                    On Jun 13, 2008, at 8:40 PM, jamesonbeam1 wrote:

                    > If you wish to make a liqueur with a stronger hint
                    > of almond flavor you should pit 1/3 of the cherries,
                    > break the pits with a hammer, and add the broken
                    > piths together with pitted cherries and whole
                    > cherries when making the liqueur.
                  • jamesonbeam1
                    Your exactly correct Frank, That is what gives Kirsch or Kirschwasser that almond taste. Apples peaches, appricots, cherries and plums are all members of the
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 16, 2008
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Your exactly correct Frank,

                      That is what gives Kirsch or Kirschwasser that almond taste. Apples
                      peaches, appricots, cherries and plums are all members of the prussic
                      species, in that their seeds or stones contain cyanide or prussic acid
                      as it was originally called. While it has been documented that a man
                      died of eating a whole bowl of apple seeds for his birthday, the higher
                      amounts of cyanide are found in the large stoned fruits such as
                      peaches, appricots, and plums.

                      Kirsch / Kirschwasser has been made in Germany for hundreds of years,
                      using the sour morello cherry, local to the Black Forest area, and yes
                      the seeds are crushed and used also. However, the small amount of
                      cyanide from these seeds for flavoring is not life threatening:

                      "Kirschwasser (pronounced [ˈkɪɐ̯ʃˌvasɐ]), German for "cherry water", often
                      known simply as Kirsch (from German "Kirsche" for "cherry") in the
                      English-speaking world, is a clear brandy made from double distillation
                      of the fermented juice of a small black cherry. It is colorless because
                      either it is not aged in wood or it is aged in barrels made of ash. The
                      cherries used recently can be either sweet or sour, but in the past the
                      sour morello cherry was used with the stone crushed and included. As
                      the morello cherry was originally grown all around the Black Forest in
                      southern Germany, the drink is believed to have originated there."

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirsch

                      Vino es Veritas,
                      Jim.





                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Francis Wolffe <frankwolffe@...>
                      wrote:
                      Jim,
                      That almond flavor you're tasting is probably the cyanogenic (i.e.,
                      cyanide-forming) glycosides being leeched out by the hooch. You might
                      want to avoid using cherry, apricot, or apple seeds. That's unless
                      you don't mind getting a little sicker than usual from drinking too
                      much. Depending on how many cherry stones are used you could end up
                      with whiskey that has an unexpected kick.

                      -Frank
                    • idahomole
                      ROFL, you probably right. Actually I made a double batch and split it into 4 mason jars. I sent one with my girlfriend to keep in her basment. That one will
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 16, 2008
                      • 0 Attachment
                        ROFL, you probably right.
                        Actually I made a double batch and split it into 4 mason jars. I sent
                        one with my girlfriend to keep in her basment. That one will make it
                        to Christmas. The other 3 will be taste tested quite often...:)

                        Mole

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
                        <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Yea Rights Bro,
                        >
                        > If ya like me you'll be lucky to make it through September :):):).
                        >
                        > Vino es Veritas,
                        > Jim.
                        >
                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "idahomole" <idahomole@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Thank ya Jim. That is the one I went with. I used sweet cherries
                        and
                        > > did not add any cracked stones. It was turning a nice pink color
                        > within
                        > > 2 or 3 hours. I will let y'all know how it
                        tastes....oh....sometime
                        > > around Christmas!...:)
                        > >
                        > > Mole
                        > >
                        >
                      • idahomole
                        Results as promised, just a little late...hehehe I still have about 750ml of my cherry maceration (in three different containers). I used Jim s method outlined
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 1 11:12 AM
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Results as promised, just a little late...hehehe

                          I still have about 750ml of my cherry maceration (in three different
                          containers). I used Jim's method outlined above. As a side note I used
                          sweet cherries, not sour.
                          I broke some out over the weekend and it tasted great. Sweet, but not
                          overpowering. The color is a very deep red. We made some shots with
                          creme de cocoa and cherry, mixed 50/50. Even the girlfriend likes 'em.
                          We call 'em "Tootsie Pops" because, well, that is exactly what they
                          taste like!
                          Currently have 13 gallons of sugar wash fermenting and I will
                          definately set aside a couple of liters of spirits for more of the same
                          macerations. Also blueberry and blackberry unsing the same
                          method....mmmmm.

                          Mole
                          And you said I wouldn't make it 'till Christmas.......:)
                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.