thumper

  • smeng@kih.net
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 6, 2001
      How do you keep the temperature of the water in the thumper high
      enough to be sure the alcohol vapor will not just condense in the
      thumper and not bubble through to get to the condenser and collection
      vessel? Is some heat source needed for the thumper?
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 6, 2001
        >How do you keep the temperature of the water in the thumper high
        >enough to be sure the alcohol vapor will not just condense in the
        >thumper and not bubble through to get to the condenser and collection
        >vessel? Is some heat source needed for the thumper?

        Nope, no heat source is needed. The heat of the incoming vapour/steam is
        what provides the energy.

        I've pasted the following from
        http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/designs.htm#thumper

        ******** snip ********
        How does this work ? I'll try and describe it ...the main pot heats up, and
        begins giving off ethanol vapours (say at 40% purity at 96 ? C off a 5%
        wash)... these get passed into the thumper and try to bubble up through the
        water there. But because the water is cold too, the vapour will all
        condense if given the chance (e.g. small bubbles & water deep enough). A
        bit later on, the thumper water is starting to heat up and increasing in
        ethanol content .... soon the thumper is at say 84 ? C, and the ethanol
        content is around 40% - gees - that sounds like a second pot still doesn't
        it ? So the ethanol starts coming coming out of solution, though this time
        it will be at around 75-80% - hence the second distillation occurring - all
        for free, no additional cost or heating involved. Of course all this
        depends on how effective the thumper is at knocking down the incoming
        vapour - e.g. bubble size, depth of immersion etc, but you get the basic
        idea.
        Look at the energy involved ..
        Heat of Vapourisation/Condensation
        Water = 2260 J/g
        Ethanol = 855 J/g
        So an incoming stream of 40% ethanol will give up about 1698 J/g, whereas
        to vapourise a 75% rich vapour needs about 1206 J/g. Then given that the
        flowrate of the 75% product is going to be only just over half of that
        entering, you have HEAPs of energy left over, to first heat the liquid
        there during the inital phase, then to superheat the vapour once the
        thumper is up to temperature. So the stuff coming in can more than happily
        look after itself in terms of redistilling itself.

        Tony
      • granpopmaggot2003
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 11, 2007
          hi group members, i am entering this gruop for the first time so
          please bear with me. i have just built my first pot still and i can
          not find any details of how to make a thuper can any one help?
        • Jake Chambers
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 11, 2007
            granpopmaggot2003 wrote:

            > hi group members, i am entering this gruop for the first time so
            > please bear with me. i have just built my first pot still and i can
            > not find any details of how to make a thuper can any one help?

            Welcome!

            There is all manner of wonderfulness at http://homedistiller.org/

            Go to Equipment -> Making a Still -> Designs and Plans -> Thumpers,
            Doublers and Slobber Boxes

            Jake
          • sonum norbu
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 11, 2007
              I went along this path once maggot, and the more I researched, the more I decided that a thumper is a waste of time. My two cents worth. :))

              SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
              http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

              Powered by Outblaze
            • Gary
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 12, 2007
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...> wrote:

                > I went along this path once maggot, and the more I researched, the
                more I decided that a thumper is a waste of time. My two cents
                worth. :))

                In what way is a thumper a wase of time? I find that my thumper SAVES
                me time.

                Gary.
              • sonum norbu
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 12, 2007

> [...]

                • abbababbaccc
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 12, 2007
                    To make a double distillation in one go you could just as well add a
                    short packed column with CM (or even LM) top to the still. That setup
                    could also be used for making neutral alcohol. Though I must admit
                    that thumper is easier to build and operate if you are only interested
                    in flavored drinks. Personally I prefer double distillation to avoid
                    any possibility of scorching.

                    Cheers, Riku

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <fly_boy_bc@...> wrote:

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I went along this path once maggot, and the more I researched, the
                    > more I decided that a thumper is a waste of time. My two cents
                    > worth. :))
                    > >

                    > In what way is a thumper a wase of time? I find that my thumper
                    SAVES
                    > me time.
                    >
                    > Gary.

                  • mstehelin
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 14, 2007
                      If you double distill your scotch/brandy/applejack etc. Does this mean
                      adding a thumper will take away one step? So rather than strip, wash
                      with baking soda, wait, 2 x distill and take your cuts you could go
                      straight to taking your cuts?

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 14, 2007
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...>
                        wrote:

                        > If you double distill your scotch/brandy/applejack etc. Does this
                        mean
                        > adding a thumper will take away one step? So rather than strip,
                        wash
                        > with baking soda, wait, 2 x distill and take your cuts you could go
                        > straight to taking your cuts?

                        In theory, yes. Basically it's advanced potstilling. What you are
                        doing is feeding the strippate (1st distillation) and the heat as
                        it's produced, into a second boiler (thumper). The output from this
                        (2nd distillation) is divided into the various cuts. Sometimes it's
                        fed to a 3rd stage.

                        In practice, it does take a bit of skill to master. But many have
                        done so. Some of the members here and in Distillers use this method.
                        Different distilling methods make different products/flavours,
                        sometimes even using the same fermentation charge split up!

                      • sonum norbu
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 14, 2007
                          Bugger!! I've been doubling for a few years now and have completely forgotten the baking soda. :(

                          Thanks for the reminder, I'll try it next time and compare. :)

                          blanik

                        • duds2u
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 15, 2007
                            If you are looking for full flavour out of your pot stilled spirits
                            then forget about baking soda. It will strip out the flavours.

                            I only use baking soda on feints (combined heads & tails of previous
                            runs) mixed with stripped spirits on vodka runs
                            Cheers
                            Mal T.
                            wrote:

                            > Bugger!! I've been doubling for a few years now and have
                            completely forgotten the baking soda. :(

                            > Thanks for the reminder, I'll try it next time and compare. :)
                            >
                            > blanik

                            (Shakyamuni Buddha)

                            > --
                            >
                            > Powered by Outblaze

                          • tim smith
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 15, 2007
                              baking soda is best left in the fridge..*L*

                              wrote:

                              > Bugger!! I've been doubling for a few years now and have
                              completely forgotten the baking soda. :(

                              > Thanks for the reminder, I'll try it next time and compare. :)
                              >
                              > blanik

                            • sonum norbu
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 16, 2007
                                Yairs, I thought about that later. That's why I hadn't been using it. That's the trouble with being being in the last 30,000 hours of life, ones memory gets a little unreliable, if not bloody poor :))

                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 16, 2007
                                  Sorry Guys,
                                  I meant bicarbonate. Damn seniors moment.

                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > baking soda is best left in the fridge..*L*
                                  >
                                  > duds2u <taylormc@...> wrote: If
                                  you are looking for full flavour out of your pot stilled spirits
                                  > then forget about baking soda. It will strip out the flavours.
                                  >
                                  > I only use baking soda on feints (combined heads & tails of
                                  previous
                                  > runs) mixed with stripped spirits on vodka runs
                                  > Cheers
                                  > Mal T.
                                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Bugger!! I've been doubling for a few years now and have
                                  > completely forgotten the baking soda. :(
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks for the reminder, I'll try it next time and compare. :)
                                  > >
                                  > > blanik

                                • gff_stwrt
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 16, 2007
                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "duds2u" <taylormc@...> wrote:

                                    > Sorry Guys,
                                    > I meant bicarbonate. Damn seniors moment.
                                    >
                                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > baking soda is best left in the fridge..*L*

                                    Hi, duds, hi folks,

                                    Sodium Bicarbonate, baking soda; same thing.

                                    Regards,

                                    The baker
                                  • Larry
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 16, 2007
                                      At 05:17 PM 08/16/2007, you wrote:

                                      Sorry Guys,
                                      I meant bicarbonate. Damn seniors moment.

                                      Baking Soda = Bicarbonate Of Soda

                                      How senior ARE you???  <wink>

                                      Were you thinking of baking powder?
                                      wrote:

                                      > baking soda is best left in the fridge..*L*
                                      >
                                      > duds2u <taylormc@...> wrote: If
                                      you are looking for full flavour out of your pot stilled spirits
                                      > then forget about baking soda. It will strip out the flavours.
                                      >
                                      > I only use baking soda on feints (combined heads & tails of
                                      previous
                                      > runs) mixed with stripped spirits on vodka runs
                                      > Cheers
                                      > Mal T.
                                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Bugger!! I've been doubling for a few years now and have
                                      > completely forgotten the baking soda. :(
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks for the reminder, I'll try it next time and compare. :)
                                      > >
                                      > > blanik

                                    • abbababbaccc
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 16, 2007
                                        Some baking sodas have citric acid which kind of defeats the purpose.

                                        Cheers, Riku

                                        > Hi, duds, hi folks,
                                        >
                                        > Sodium Bicarbonate, baking soda; same thing.
                                        >
                                        > Regards,
                                        >
                                        > The baker

                                      • abbababbaccc
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 16, 2007
                                          Ignore my previous post, I was talking about baking powder :(

                                          Cheers, Riku

                                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry <larry@...> wrote:

                                          > At 05:17 PM 08/16/2007, you wrote:
                                          >
                                          > >Sorry Guys,
                                          > >I meant bicarbonate. Damn seniors moment.
                                          >
                                          > Baking Soda = Bicarbonate Of Soda
                                          >
                                          > How senior ARE you??? <wink>
                                          >
                                          > Were you thinking of baking powder?

                                        • kekedog13
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 1, 2011
                                            Built a thumper and when I ran it almost nothing ended coming out of the and of the condenser. The water in the thumper jar got real hot but production all but stopped. I do see why they call it a "thumper" as it made a thumping sound as the steam bubbled through it.I tried different lengths of tubing and different depths of water. When I elininated it the alcohol resumed to flow.ML