Re: [new_distillers] Flavourings

  • Brad McMahon
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2001
      Brad McMahon wrote:

      > Hi Jan,
      > I am in Adelaide. I saw a post from someone saying
      > that one of the brands was "yuk". I just want to destroy my hard
      > work by crap concentrates.
      >
      > Brad
      Make that - DON'T want to destroy :-)
      No I haven't been drinking!

      Cheers again!

      Brad
    • Tom Johnson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
        first off the posting i made about the still for sale is still valid I just have
        to get the photos developed aplogise to those who responded and will get back to
        you with the photos a/s/a/p .
        second my question is about essences. if you distill tequilla using the specific
        cactus as you mash and distill it shouldnt it be flavoured like tequilla or do
        most distillers just make pure alcohol and then flavour it later with a additive
        to seem like a tequilla ?
        tj

        janpam ooms wrote:

        > Hello Brad, sory to disappoint you but none of us make Tequila, we just dont
        > like it. Personally i will make some just for coctails only but will buy the
        > commercially available essence for it.they tell me that the swedish essence
        > is very good, but expensice. Ragards Jan.
        >

        > > > do you know of any flavorings for tequila?
        > >
        > >Tequila is one I want to make!
        > >
        > >Spirits Unlimited and Still Spirits make a Tequila flavour according
        > >to the Aqua Vitae shop site, http://www.aquavitae.co.nz
        > >I know my Home-brew shop carries one of these, I can't remember which.
        > >Anyone tried either of them?

      • Brad McMahon
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 10, 2001
          Tom Johnson wrote:

          > second my question is about essences. if you distill tequilla using the specific
          > cactus as you mash and distill it shouldnt it be flavoured like tequilla or do
          > most distillers just make pure alcohol and then flavour it later with a additive
          > to seem like a tequilla ?
          > tj

          Are you talking about amateur or commercial distillers?

          I saw an article on TV yesterday about the rising price of
          agave cactus. A few years ago it was worth a few cents
          a kilogram. There is a shortage now and the price has
          risen to US$1.50 a kilogram.
          They were worried that because of the cost the quality
          of tequila will drop dramatically and become the cheap hooch
          it was years ago rather than the complex drink it is today.
        • ebarker@eoncc.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 11, 2001
            With the shortage of agave, the upgrading of Tequila's being no
            longer cut with grain alcohols, and the excess disposable money
            in the aging baby boomer generation, Tequila prices will increase
            and the product will become more of a high end speciality item
            like the premium Scotch's. According to the laws of supply and
            demand and a friend of mine that is the president of a chain of
            mexican restaurants.

            --- In new_distillers@egroups.com, Brad McMahon <brad@s...> wrote:

            > Tom Johnson wrote:
            >

            > > second my question is about essences. if you distill tequilla
            using the specific
            > > cactus as you mash and distill it shouldnt it be flavoured like
            tequilla or do
            > > most distillers just make pure alcohol and then flavour it later
            with a additive
            > > to seem like a tequilla ?
            > > tj
            >
            > Are you talking about amateur or commercial distillers?
            >
            > I saw an article on TV yesterday about the rising price of
            > agave cactus. A few years ago it was worth a few cents
            > a kilogram. There is a shortage now and the price has
            > risen to US$1.50 a kilogram.
            > They were worried that because of the cost the quality
            > of tequila will drop dramatically and become the cheap hooch
            > it was years ago rather than the complex drink it is today.
          • Matt
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 11, 2001
              On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 03:33:55AM -0000, ebarker@... wrote:

              > With the shortage of agave, the upgrading of Tequila's being no
              > longer cut with grain alcohols, and the excess disposable money
              > in the aging baby boomer generation, Tequila prices will increase
              > and the product will become more of a high end speciality item
              > like the premium Scotch's. According to the laws of supply and
              > demand and a friend of mine that is the president of a chain of
              > mexican restaurants.

              in spite of all the disposable income of Yanquis and the problems with
              agave plants contracting diseases there apparently will be a bumper crop
              sometime around '08. there are many new plantings in the ground now.
              2-12 months later, it will be Reposado time!

              Matthew @ psibercom