Re: A bit of Structural thought before bending Copper Pipe

  • burrows206
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2008
      Hi guys,
      Here's a copy of Mike Nixon's copper annealing process, message
      number 31408 dated June 11th 2003
      Re: [new_distillers] Re: bending copper tubing

      w G wrote:
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: bending copper tubing

      OK, so How the hell U get salt in 27' of 1/4" tubing
      LOL sounds like a bit of work to me..
      ============================
      1/4" tubing, if softened first by annealing ... heat until copper
      starts to change color and then leave to cool (or quench quickly in
      water ... it makes no difference with copper) should require no
      filler to bend without kinking. Just wind slowly around a dowel or
      other former, pulling hard on the free tubing as you do so. If you
      must use salt, use very fine table salt. If the grains are still too
      big, you can easily grind it finer with a pestle and mortar ... or
      even a rolling pin on a hard flat surface. It powders very easily.
      Taping a cone of paper around one end of the tubing makes a nice
      funnel that doesn't take up space inside the tubing. Tap the tube
      often, as advised by 'trailsendag'. Make sure the salt is very dry
      before you start pouring by leaving it on a tray in a warm oven for
      half an hour. Even iodised salt soaks up some water from the air and
      will not pour as easily as bone dry salt.

      Mike N
      You had me doubting myself charlieltc
      But I'm willing to be corrected if I'm wrong
      Geoff

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"