Re: Aging

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2008
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "charlieltc" <charlieltc@...>
      wrote:

      > Re new distillers msg KM 29476 and Alex 29472, Clarification from the
      > group please. KM suggested that the aging container should be filled to
      > the top and then opened, closed and shook periodically. I don't
      > understand the advice to fill the container to the top. I had
      > understood that after distillation oxygen/air within reasonable limits
      > would be beneficial to maturation. (See Harry new distillers msg
      > 27730). If aeration per 27730 is desirable, than it would appear that
      > a fair to generous headspace within the aging container would be
      > desirable rather than minimum to zero. Subsequent shaking of the
      > container with lots of headspace would provide useful oxygen exposure.
      > Agitation of the container with a generous headspace would serve to
      > aerate the distillate similiar to Harry's bubbler. Since there would
      > not be continuous introduction of air in an open environment as in the
      > bubbler technique, I forsee no significant loss to the angels and
      > therefore no disadvantage in the use of generous headspace except the
      > ability of the distiller to handily shake the size container involved.
      > Finally although there would be some desirable oxidation, it shouldn't
      > lead to acidification/vinegar of the distilled spirit. Where am I
      > going wrong with these conclusions?

      Nope, you're not going wrong. Headspace/air is just fine for aging.
      The process of vinegar conversion in fermented beverages is due to the
      acetobacter bacteria. In aging spirits, the alcohol concentration is
      well above any that the bacteria would be able to survive. No danger
      there at all. Evaporation and loss of your hard earned spirit is more
      of a concern. Thus, keeping a lid on the container. The angels get
      enough as it is :)

      Oxygen is but one component of the aging process. There's also
      interaction with the various congeners in the spirit with the various
      compounds in the wood upon which it's being aged. There's no one
      factor that affects it...mostly patience :)

      Trid
      -firing up a new batch is my answer to the patience thing...keeps me
      distracted.
    • KM Services
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2008

        Correction, I do fill to the “top” , but not literally to the brim ( should have phrased that better) I leave about 30mm to 50mm of air space which allows for shaking up and aerating …my apologies

        Cheers

        Ken Mc

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2008
          1.) I read Harry´s message and it says do not use the air stone for
          avoiding some glue leaching to the batch; while I´ve seen others
          using it, any comments?

          2.) I use to top my lowwines (with baking soda) to the very top, will
          it matter?

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services"

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2008
            Morning Alex,

            If your talking about aerating your final product with an air stone,
            in an open container, I again believe this is giving the angels far
            more then the share they deserve :)... Way too much ABV will be lost
            to them. As Trid and others have said, its much better to keep some
            air space in a closed container with your wood chips and open it
            occasionally then close and shake. This will imitate the way a
            barrel "breathes" during the aging process. The other trick to speed
            up the aging process is keeping the container in a place where it gets
            warm during the day and cold at night.

            This will also mimic the way a barrel expands in the heat and
            contracts in the cold, thereby forcing the product into and out of
            the wood, but at a lesser extent and extracting more of the wood
            flavors.

            As far as your second question, I do not fully understand what you
            mean by adding baking soda to your low wines and topping off. I hope
            your not talking about aging low wines... Some distillers add baking
            soda or salt to low wines to get a purer spirit and increase the
            boiling point of water. But dont age your low wines.

            Vino es Veritas,
            Jim.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3, 2008

              Alex,

              I agree  with Jim and keep my grog whether bottled, oaking or steeping on a shelves in the garage away from direct light which is against a concrete block boundary wall where as he says gets the warmth of the day and cold of night and now as we are in winter overnight frosts

              Cheers

              Ken Mc

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3, 2008
                Ok. got the message, do not aerate using a pump for not loosing
                alcohol. I´ll follow your (Jim and Ken) advices. In the other hand, I
                read you could use a cork on top of your (let´s say 1 gallon) jug,
                resembling somehow a barrel in the issue of breathing, will it be ok?
                Now that we´re on the topic I have two other questions:

                a) How many times can you use an oak keg, are they forever, I mean,
                you put some alcohol, let it age, let´s say a year, take the aged
                spirit out and then what? feed the keg again with some new distill or
                that keg is now useless and must be destroyed?

                b) What do they do (industrially) in the case of white rum? since if
                they put it in an oak keg the spirit will get the color of the wood.

                Finally about the low wines I don´t age it, I add the baking soda for
                getting rid of the off flavors (due to unwanted esters), store them
                during a few days or a week and then distill, but top the bottle not
                letting air in order to prevent eventual contamination with
                acetobacter, but maybe this won´t be an issue, since my low wines are
                about 65% ABV and I doubt that any organism could live in those
                conditions.

                Alex

                <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                > Morning Alex,
                >
                > If your talking about aerating your final product with an air
                stone,
                > in an open container, I again believe this is giving the angels far
                > more then the share they deserve :)... Way too much ABV will be
                lost
                > to them. As Trid and others have said, its much better to keep some
                > air space in a closed container with your wood chips and open it
                > occasionally then close and shake. This will imitate the way a
                > barrel "breathes" during the aging process. The other trick to speed
                > up the aging process is keeping the container in a place where it
                gets
                > warm during the day and cold at night.
                >
                > This will also mimic the way a barrel expands in the heat and
                > contracts in the cold, thereby forcing the product into and out of
                > the wood, but at a lesser extent and extracting more of the wood
                > flavors.
                >
                > As far as your second question, I do not fully understand what you
                > mean by adding baking soda to your low wines and topping off. I
                hope
                > your not talking about aging low wines... Some distillers add
                baking
                > soda or salt to low wines to get a purer spirit and increase the
                > boiling point of water. But dont age your low wines.
                >
                > Vino es Veritas,
                > Jim.
                >

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
                > <castillo.alex2008@> wrote:
                > >

                > > 1.) I read Harry´s message and it says do not use the air stone
                for
                > > avoiding some glue leaching to the batch; while I´ve seen others
                > > using it, any comments?
                > >
                > > 2.) I use to top my lowwines (with baking soda) to the very top,
                > will
                > > it matter?
                > >

                > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services"
                > > <km_services@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Correction, I do fill to the "top" , but not literally to the
                > brim
                > > ( should
                > > > have phrased that better) I leave about 30mm to 50mm of air
                space
                > > which
                > > > allows for shaking up and aerating .my apologies
                > > >
                > > > This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am
                > > sure...
                > > >
                > > > Cheers
                > > >
                > > > Ken Mc
                > > >

                > > > _____

              • mstehelin
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Alex,
                  I know that barrels go through a long cycle before they are finally
                  sold to people for flower planters. From Bourbon,to sherry to scotch
                  to the flower pot. I think this process may take years, if not a
                  decade. As to your questions of baking soda, I think you only add a
                  couple of table spoons per 4 litres. I don't think you have to worry
                  about turning your low wines into vinegar, like you say, nothing can
                  live in that high ABV environment.
                  Cheers

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 3, 2008
                    Yep! That´s what I do, 1 tbsp. per liter of low wines, and that´s
                    what I thought about that high ABV, so I will discard the possibility
                    of low wines becoming vinegar, but I was thinking why bothering going
                    to a spirits run, why just don´t make your cuts right in the
                    stripping run? my low wines are about 65% ABV every time which is not
                    that low for hooch since it´ll be further diluted to let´s say 40%.
                    How´s that?

                    Alex

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...>

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 3, 2008

                      Hey Alex,

                      American white oak barrels may be used many times for different uses. U.S.  Bourbons and Tennessee Whiskeys by law are required to be aged in new oak barrels (can only be used one time) for a minimum of 2 years (most all distillers age for 4 years or longer).  From there, the barrels are sold to distillers across the world, making Scotch, Irish Whiskey, Rum, Brandies, Wines, etc.   Its up to the individual distillers how many times they are re-used after that.

                      For us hobby distillers, depending on the quality and char of the barrel, you can use it until personal tastes and preferences say its "depleted".  However, it can be re-newed by adding  new charred oak chips to it, if flavors start to dimish.  If it ever starts leaking though, that might be a serious problem.

                      Regarding white, light rums, they are sometime aged ,sometimes not in used oak barrels, but not for a long time and sometimes  filtered to remove coloration.  See Below:

                      Grades

                      Example of dark, spiced, and light rums.
                      Example of dark, spiced, and light rums.

                      The grades and variations used to describe rum depend on the location that a rum was produced. Despite these variations the following terms are frequently used to describe various types of rum:

                      • Light Rums, also referred to as light, silver, and white rums. In general, light rum has very little flavor aside from a general sweetness, and serves accordingly as a base for cocktails. Light rums are sometimes filtered after aging to remove any color. The Brazilian immensely popular Cachaça belongs to this type.
                      • Gold Rums, also called amber rums, are medium-bodied rums which are generally aged. These gain their dark color from aging in wooden barrels (usually the charred white oak barrels that are the byproduct of Bourbon Whiskey).
                      • Spiced Rum: These rums obtain their flavor through addition of spices and, sometimes, caramel. Most are darker in color, and based on gold rums. Some are significantly darker, while many cheaper brands are made from inexpensive white rums and darkened with artificial caramel color.
                      • Dark Rum, also known as black rum, classes as a grade darker than gold rum. It is generally aged longer, in heavily charred barrels. Dark rum has a much stronger flavor than either light or gold rum, and hints of spices can be detected, along with a strong molasses or caramel overtone. It is used to provide substance in rum drinks, as well as color. In addition to uses in mixed drinks, dark rum is the type of rum most commonly used in cooking.
                      • Flavored Rum: Some manufacturers have begun to sell rums which they have infused with flavors of fruits such as mango, orange, citrus, coconut, and lime which is a lime rum found in Sweden. These serve to flavor similarly themed tropical drinks which generally comprise less than 40% alcohol, and are also often drunk neat or on the rocks.
                      • Overproof Rum is rum which is much higher than the standard 40% alcohol. Most of these rums bear greater than 75%, in fact, and preparations of 151 to 160 proof occur commonly.
                      • Premium Rum: As with other sipping spirits, such as Cognac and Scotch, a market exists for premium and super-premium rums. These are generally boutique brands which sell very aged and carefully produced rums. They have more character and flavor than their "mixing" counterparts, and are generally consumed without the addition of other ingredients.

                                   Vino es Veritas,

                                   Jim.

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008" <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

                      > Ok. got the message, do not aerate using a pump for not loosing
                      > alcohol. I´ll follow your (Jim and Ken) advices. In the other hand, I
                      > read you could use a cork on top of your (let´s say 1 gallon) jug,
                      > resembling somehow a barrel in the issue of breathing, will it be ok?
                      > Now that we´re on the topic I have two other questions:
                      >
                      > a) How many times can you use an oak keg, are they forever, I mean,
                      > you put some alcohol, let it age, let´s say a year, take the aged
                      > spirit out and then what? feed the keg again with some new distill or
                      > that keg is now useless and must be destroyed?
                      >
                      > b) What do they do (industrially) in the case of white rum? since if
                      > they put it in an oak keg the spirit will get the color of the wood.
                      >
                      > Finally about the low wines I don´t age it, I add the baking soda for
                      > getting rid of the off flavors (due to unwanted esters), store them
                      > during a few days or a week and then distill, but top the bottle not
                      > letting air in order to prevent eventual contamination with
                      > acetobacter, but maybe this won´t be an issue, since my low wines are
                      > about 65% ABV and I doubt that any organism could live in those
                      > conditions.
                      >
                      > Alex

                    • rye_junkie1
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 3, 2008
                        <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

                        > Yep! That´s what I do, 1 tbsp. per liter of low wines, and that´s
                        > what I thought about that high ABV, so I will discard the possibility
                        > of low wines becoming vinegar, but I was thinking why bothering going
                        > to a spirits run, why just don´t make your cuts right in the
                        > stripping run? my low wines are about 65% ABV every time which is not
                        > that low for hooch since it´ll be further diluted to let´s say 40%.
                        > How´s that?
                        >
                        > Alex

                        Alex,
                        First run hooch is full of impurities and fussels. I have tried many
                        ways of doing only a single run and honestly nothing beats the double
                        distill. Except the triple distill. Some guys run once in a reflux
                        column and say they get good drink but i have also tried this a found
                        it is a loosing proposition. For me anyway. Remember, ABV doesnt
                        guarantee purity.

                        Mason
                        Live by the strip run