Recipe as simple as it gets

  • chevisn7
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
      Did not have anything to do so I thought I would try the recipe as it
      is written on the package of Pure Turbo 24 yeast.
      6 gallons of purified water
      15 Lbs Sugar
      Dissolve sugar in water
      Cool to under 104 degrees I cooled to 86 degrees
      Aerate water for 2 hours while cooling
      Add Yeast Packet and stir
      Aerate water for an additional 3 hours
      Fermentation took only 48 hours resulted in 18% ABV
      Kept fermentation temperature below 85%
      Settling took 48 hours.
      Results were very favorable.
      First Distillation "no packing" very clean taste 65%ABV
      Second Distillation (Reflux 2 drops per second Packing Installed)
      Absolutely pure no after taste (92 to 95% ABV
      "Note" do not steer in the middle of fermentation unless you have at
      least 6 inches of clearance for the liquid to expand. It erupts like
      a volcano. Be sure to keep fermentation temperature below the maximum
      listed on the package for a pure fermentation. I noted a rise of about
      5 degrees during fermentation. I controled this by placing the
      fermentation container in a tub of cool water.

      ChevisN7
    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chevisn7" <chevisn7@...> wrote:

        > Did not have anything to do so I thought I would try the recipe as it
        > is written on the package of Pure Turbo 24 yeast.
        > 6 gallons of purified water
        > 15 Lbs Sugar
        > Dissolve sugar in water
        > Cool to under 104 degrees I cooled to 86 degrees
        > Aerate water for 2 hours while cooling
        > Add Yeast Packet and stir
        > Aerate water for an additional 3 hours
        > Fermentation took only 48 hours resulted in 18% ABV
        > Kept fermentation temperature below 85%
        > Settling took 48 hours.
        > Results were very favorable.
        > First Distillation "no packing" very clean taste 65%ABV
        > Second Distillation (Reflux 2 drops per second Packing Installed)
        > Absolutely pure no after taste (92 to 95% ABV
        > "Note" do not steer in the middle of fermentation unless you have at
        > least 6 inches of clearance for the liquid to expand. It erupts like
        > a volcano. Be sure to keep fermentation temperature below the maximum
        > listed on the package for a pure fermentation. I noted a rise of about
        > 5 degrees during fermentation. I controled this by placing the
        > fermentation container in a tub of cool water.
        >
        > ChevisN7

        I just tried the Brewhaus turbo 48. 15 lbs of sugar, total volume
        6.5 gallons. Fermented down to 990 in 36hrs. Letting it clear now.
        You are correct on the stirring and flare up. I only stirred it at
        990 and thought I was going to have to find a towel. Very clean smell
        to the wash. I plan on doing 2 of these and refluxing the low wines
        as you did. I am just not getting the Clean vodka flavor that I want
        for essences by using some of the botched XX pot grain/cereal wash
        ferments I have been using.

        Mason
      • billy.turf
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
          Hi Mason,
          I thought that if you ran the still right (slow and enough reflux) that
          it would strip the flavor out of pretty much anything. What are you
          getting for a taste? Did the wash have a bad taste before you started,
          or did some trub get into the boiler?

          I saw some stuff just this evening on a site that claimed it was clean
          enough before distilling to use with essences even though it claims to
          finish at 24%
          Billy

          > I just tried the Brewhaus turbo 48. 15 lbs of sugar, total volume
          > 6.5 gallons. Fermented down to 990 in 36hrs. Letting it clear now.
          > You are correct on the stirring and flare up. I only stirred it at
          > 990 and thought I was going to have to find a towel. Very clean smell
          > to the wash. I plan on doing 2 of these and refluxing the low wines
          > as you did. I am just not getting the Clean vodka flavor that I want
          > for essences by using some of the botched XX pot grain/cereal wash
          > ferments I have been using.
          >
          > Mason

        • KM Services
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008

            I saw some stuff just this evening on a site that claimed it was clean enough before distilling to use with essences even though it claims to finish at 24%
            Billy
            Mate, What you probably have seen is the marketing ( To get around the Law ) of the  turbo 23 for use without distilling ie: just using the low wines to make liqueurs where home distilling is Illegal.

            Cheers

            Ken Mc

          • rye_junkie1
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "billy.turf" <billy.turf@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi Mason,
              > I thought that if you ran the still right (slow and enough reflux) that
              > it would strip the flavor out of pretty much anything. What are you
              > getting for a taste? Did the wash have a bad taste before you started,
              > or did some trub get into the boiler?
              >
              > I saw some stuff just this evening on a site that claimed it was clean
              > enough before distilling to use with essences even though it claims to
              > finish at 24%
              > Billy

              I have started to compare my Neutral to Store bought vodka. Even at
              90% I am still getting some tastes and smells that let me know what
              the original wash was. Normally my senses are about as sharp as a
              marble but more and more every day over the last few weeks they seem
              to be becoming more aware so to speak. What I get is an honest 90% at
              60F with the hydrometer. I always do a stripping run and then
              reflux/spirit run. Its still good spirit mind you but not perfection.
              I make a fairly generous heads cut and run at about 600-700ml/hour.
              The spirit is crystal clear and the smells and tastes that I am
              getting are definitely not tails. I let the column equalize for at
              least an hour under full reflux with the valve closed and the boiler
              is charged with at least 3 gallons of low wines at 40-50%.
              Ken, This is basically what i have been trying to bug you in private
              about.

              Mason
              Heading Home
              Catch up to you guys in a hour or so.
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "billy.turf" <billy.turf@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Mason,
                > > I thought that if you ran the still right (slow and enough
                reflux) that
                > > it would strip the flavor out of pretty much anything. What are
                you
                > > getting for a taste? Did the wash have a bad taste before you
                started,
                > > or did some trub get into the boiler?
                > >
                > > I saw some stuff just this evening on a site that claimed it was
                clean
                > > enough before distilling to use with essences even though it
                claims to
                > > finish at 24%
                > > Billy
                >
                > I have started to compare my Neutral to Store bought vodka. Even at
                > 90% I am still getting some tastes and smells that let me know what
                > the original wash was. Normally my senses are about as sharp as a
                > marble but more and more every day over the last few weeks they seem
                > to be becoming more aware so to speak. What I get is an honest 90%
                at
                > 60F with the hydrometer. I always do a stripping run and then
                > reflux/spirit run. Its still good spirit mind you but not
                perfection.
                > I make a fairly generous heads cut and run at about 600-
                700ml/hour.
                > The spirit is crystal clear and the smells and tastes that I am
                > getting are definitely not tails. I let the column equalize for at
                > least an hour under full reflux with the valve closed and the boiler
                > is charged with at least 3 gallons of low wines at 40-50%.
                > Ken, This is basically what i have been trying to bug you in
                private
                > about.
                >
                > Mason
                > Heading Home
                > Catch up to you guys in a hour or so.

                Mason,

                There are contaminants dissolved in high-strength spirit (even in
                azeotrope ethanol, 95.6%). There are two ways to achieve good
                separation.

                1. Dilute the boiler charge to below 30% a/v. This allows any
                dissolved fusels to come out of solution. Fusels dissolve well in
                alcohol but not so well in water, so lower the charge percentage as a
                first step. Skim the top layer (oils float) and throw it in the
                feints receiver for recycling. Then use the rest of it as your
                charge for the reflux still (you can't make true neutral or vodka
                without refluxing).

                2. Polish your NEUTRAL spirit with carbon to remove any possible
                contaminants that may still be left (dissolved fusels, carbs, gases).

                DO NOT confuse NEUTRAL alcohol with AZEOTROPE. Read this thread
                starting with this message...

                True vodka (US definition: no smell, no taste) is extremely hard to
                achieve. That's why commercial outfits have several rectifying
                columns to clean it up.

              • rye_junkie1
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
                  What I get is an honest 90%
                  > at
                  > > 60F with the hydrometer. I always do a stripping run and then
                  > > reflux/spirit run. Its still good spirit mind you but not
                  > perfection.
                  > > I make a fairly generous heads cut and run at about 600-
                  > 700ml/hour.
                  > > The spirit is crystal clear and the smells and tastes that I am
                  > > getting are definitely not tails. I let the column equalize for at
                  > > least an hour under full reflux with the valve closed and the boiler
                  > > is charged with at least 3 gallons of low wines at 40-50%.
                  > > Ken, This is basically what i have been trying to bug you in
                  > private
                  > > about.
                  > >
                  > > Mason
                  > > Heading Home
                  > > Catch up to you guys in a hour or so.
                  > >

                  > Mason,
                  >
                  > There are contaminants dissolved in high-strength spirit (even in
                  > azeotrope ethanol, 95.6%). There are two ways to achieve good
                  > separation.
                  >
                  > 1. Dilute the boiler charge to below 30% a/v. This allows any
                  > dissolved fusels to come out of solution. Fusels dissolve well in
                  > alcohol but not so well in water, so lower the charge percentage as a
                  > first step. Skim the top layer (oils float) and throw it in the
                  > feints receiver for recycling. Then use the rest of it as your
                  > charge for the reflux still (you can't make true neutral or vodka
                  > without refluxing).
                  >
                  > 2. Polish your NEUTRAL spirit with carbon to remove any possible
                  > contaminants that may still be left (dissolved fusels, carbs, gases).
                  >
                  > DO NOT confuse NEUTRAL alcohol with AZEOTROPE. Read this thread
                  > starting with this message...
                  >
                  > True vodka (US definition: no smell, no taste) is extremely hard to
                  > achieve. That's why commercial outfits have several rectifying
                  > columns to clean it up.
                  >

                  > Slainte!
                  > regards Harry

                  Thanks for the advice Harry. Pint and I discussed shortly last week
                  on the use of carbon and I have some decent 45% sitting on some now at
                  1/4 cup/liter. I did not know about the first suggestion though. How
                  long before you get an oil slick on top to skim. Is this reaction
                  almost immediate or does it need to rest for a bit. "True Vodka" is
                  not what I am trying to achieve really as I realize what you have
                  pointed out. I am just sure that I can achieve better and more
                  NEUTRAL than what I have thats all.

                  Mason
                  And here I was worried that I might finish the day
                  without learning something new.
                • rye_junkie1
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
                    > > Mason,
                    > >
                    > > There are contaminants dissolved in high-strength spirit (even in
                    > > azeotrope ethanol, 95.6%). There are two ways to achieve good
                    > > separation.
                    > >
                    > > 1. Dilute the boiler charge to below 30% a/v. This allows any
                    > > dissolved fusels to come out of solution. Fusels dissolve well in
                    > > alcohol but not so well in water, so lower the charge percentage as a
                    > > first step. Skim the top layer (oils float) and throw it in the
                    > > feints receiver for recycling. Then use the rest of it as your
                    > > charge for the reflux still (you can't make true neutral or vodka
                    > > without refluxing).

                    > > Slainte!
                    > > regards Harry
                    > >

                    > Thanks for the advice Harry.
                    I did not know about the first suggestion though. How
                    > long before you get an oil slick on top to skim. Is this reaction
                    > almost immediate or does it need to rest for a bit. "True Vodka" is
                    > not what I am trying to achieve really as I realize what you have
                    > pointed out. I am just sure that I can achieve better and more
                    > NEUTRAL than what I have thats all.
                    >
                    > Mason

                    Harry,
                    You never got back to me about this.

                    Mason
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008

                      > > Thanks for the advice Harry.
                      > I did not know about the first suggestion though. How
                      > > long before you get an oil slick on top to skim. Is this reaction
                      > > almost immediate or does it need to rest for a bit.

                      ........Don't think that you have fusels automatically just because
                      you have 'funky' distillate. There are many reasons for 'off' tastes
                      and smells. You only get an oil slick if there's dissolved fusels,
                      which are mostly the higher alcohols that don't dissolve well in
                      water, but do in ethanol. It shows up on the surface of the still
                      charge pretty quick after you dilute it under 30%. But you may not
                      have dissolved fusels. You may instead have residual protein and
                      dissolved gases, which obviously won't show up as a 'oil slick'. Or
                      you may have all of the above.

                      Again, dilution brings these out of solution because they are more
                      capable of dissolving in ethanol than water. Fusels will float,
                      gases will dissipate, solids (proteins) will settle out
                      (precipitate). Both fusels and gases can be removed with carbon in a
                      finished distillate. But not the proteins. They require filtering
                      with a .5 micron or less filter.

                      The proteins are a common cause of that fluffy white sediment you see
                      in bottles left standing undisturbed for any length of time. The
                      protein is not visible at high strength, but visible after diluting
                      and bottling.

                      "True Vodka" is
                      > > not what I am trying to achieve really as I realize what you have
                      > > pointed out. I am just sure that I can achieve better and more
                      > > NEUTRAL than what I have thats all.

                      .............. There is no 'quick & easy' cure-all. But if you
                      attack each possible contaminant source, one by one, you will greatly
                      improve your distillate.

                      May I also suggest you read Kris Berglund's "Artisan Distilling" in
                      my Library. There's a few remedies for distillate faults in there
                      also, some of which have not been mentioned in these groups, probably
                      because we're now getting into the advanced distilling area rather
                      than just learning & doing the basics.

                      HTH