Re: diference between moonshine and whisky?

  • daddyman00126
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2008
      From Merraim Webster on line dictionary;

      Moonshine
      illegally distilled corn whiskey

      Whiskey
      a liquor distilled from fermented wort (as that obtained from rye,
      corn, or barley mash)

      BILL1BURP

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dooya" <oscarmayerman@...>

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2008
        Hey Dooya,

        And Welcome Aboard. Also Congradulations !!!. You have won the "Golden
        Dram Award" for June of 2008 for asking the best question so far this
        month!!!

        As I've said before, even the most simplest questesions are the hardest
        to answer... Im sure no matter how I explain this, there will be
        several corrections made.... (Harry Im waiting :):):).

        The major difference between moonshine and whiskey is that one is
        illegally made and one is legally made. Another difference is that
        moonshine may be made out of any ingredients that can be feremnted,
        while true whiskey or whisky - the Scottish, Welsh and Canadian
        spelling, is made only from grains such as malted barley, rye, wheat or
        corn (GULP here we go folks lol). Most Scotch Whisky is made out of
        Barley - malted and / or unmalted. Canadian Whisky may be made out of a
        combination of grains. American Whiskey (and Bourbon) is mostly made
        out of corn (at least 55%) and malted barly - or Rye for Rye Whiskey.

        The American version of Moonshine Corn Whiskey (called white lightening
        or corn likker to name a couple) is made from Corn and whatever else
        the moonshiner likes to use, but again moonshine may be made of
        anything fermentable. The term "moonshine" originated from the fact
        that moonshiners operated at night by the light of the moon.

        Hope this answers you question somewhat, and again welcome aboard. Whe
        have a great group of knowledgable members here and lots of
        information. If you look on the left and go to the Links or database
        sections, you will find the Info base with links to most common topics
        on fermentation and distilling. Please read the introduction, safety,
        legality links first. Have fun and BE SAFE.

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim.