diference between moonshine and whisky?

  • dooya
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2008
      what is the difference between moonshine and whiskey? what
      is "moonshine"?
    • daddyman00126
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2008
        From Merraim Webster on line dictionary;

        Moonshine
        illegally distilled corn whiskey

        Whiskey
        a liquor distilled from fermented wort (as that obtained from rye,
        corn, or barley mash)

        BILL1BURP

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dooya" <oscarmayerman@...>

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2008
          Hey Dooya,

          And Welcome Aboard. Also Congradulations !!!. You have won the "Golden
          Dram Award" for June of 2008 for asking the best question so far this
          month!!!

          As I've said before, even the most simplest questesions are the hardest
          to answer... Im sure no matter how I explain this, there will be
          several corrections made.... (Harry Im waiting :):):).

          The major difference between moonshine and whiskey is that one is
          illegally made and one is legally made. Another difference is that
          moonshine may be made out of any ingredients that can be feremnted,
          while true whiskey or whisky - the Scottish, Welsh and Canadian
          spelling, is made only from grains such as malted barley, rye, wheat or
          corn (GULP here we go folks lol). Most Scotch Whisky is made out of
          Barley - malted and / or unmalted. Canadian Whisky may be made out of a
          combination of grains. American Whiskey (and Bourbon) is mostly made
          out of corn (at least 55%) and malted barly - or Rye for Rye Whiskey.

          The American version of Moonshine Corn Whiskey (called white lightening
          or corn likker to name a couple) is made from Corn and whatever else
          the moonshiner likes to use, but again moonshine may be made of
          anything fermentable. The term "moonshine" originated from the fact
          that moonshiners operated at night by the light of the moon.

          Hope this answers you question somewhat, and again welcome aboard. Whe
          have a great group of knowledgable members here and lots of
          information. If you look on the left and go to the Links or database
          sections, you will find the Info base with links to most common topics
          on fermentation and distilling. Please read the introduction, safety,
          legality links first. Have fun and BE SAFE.

          Vino es Veritas,
          Jim.