Re: [new_distillers] Flavourings

  • Brad McMahon
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2001
      janpam ooms wrote:

      > Hi Brad, any of the brands you mentioned are OK, some need a bit longer to
      > mature than others, the swedish ones from GERT STRAND are also very good
      > but expensive.most of us here in Australia use all of the brands you
      > mentioned, it all depends on your taste. Where are you situated? ALL THER
      > BEST. JAN.

      Hi Jan,
      I am in Adelaide. I saw a post from someone saying
      that one of the brands was "yuk". I just want to destroy my hard
      work by crap concentrates.

      Brad
    • Brad McMahon
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2001
        Brad McMahon wrote:

        > Hi Jan,
        > I am in Adelaide. I saw a post from someone saying
        > that one of the brands was "yuk". I just want to destroy my hard
        > work by crap concentrates.
        >
        > Brad
        Make that - DON'T want to destroy :-)
        No I haven't been drinking!

        Cheers again!

        Brad
      • Tom Johnson
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
          first off the posting i made about the still for sale is still valid I just have
          to get the photos developed aplogise to those who responded and will get back to
          you with the photos a/s/a/p .
          second my question is about essences. if you distill tequilla using the specific
          cactus as you mash and distill it shouldnt it be flavoured like tequilla or do
          most distillers just make pure alcohol and then flavour it later with a additive
          to seem like a tequilla ?
          tj

          janpam ooms wrote:

          > Hello Brad, sory to disappoint you but none of us make Tequila, we just dont
          > like it. Personally i will make some just for coctails only but will buy the
          > commercially available essence for it.they tell me that the swedish essence
          > is very good, but expensice. Ragards Jan.
          >

          > > > do you know of any flavorings for tequila?
          > >
          > >Tequila is one I want to make!
          > >
          > >Spirits Unlimited and Still Spirits make a Tequila flavour according
          > >to the Aqua Vitae shop site, http://www.aquavitae.co.nz
          > >I know my Home-brew shop carries one of these, I can't remember which.
          > >Anyone tried either of them?

        • Brad McMahon
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 10, 2001
            Tom Johnson wrote:

            > second my question is about essences. if you distill tequilla using the specific
            > cactus as you mash and distill it shouldnt it be flavoured like tequilla or do
            > most distillers just make pure alcohol and then flavour it later with a additive
            > to seem like a tequilla ?
            > tj

            Are you talking about amateur or commercial distillers?

            I saw an article on TV yesterday about the rising price of
            agave cactus. A few years ago it was worth a few cents
            a kilogram. There is a shortage now and the price has
            risen to US$1.50 a kilogram.
            They were worried that because of the cost the quality
            of tequila will drop dramatically and become the cheap hooch
            it was years ago rather than the complex drink it is today.
          • ebarker@eoncc.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 11, 2001
              With the shortage of agave, the upgrading of Tequila's being no
              longer cut with grain alcohols, and the excess disposable money
              in the aging baby boomer generation, Tequila prices will increase
              and the product will become more of a high end speciality item
              like the premium Scotch's. According to the laws of supply and
              demand and a friend of mine that is the president of a chain of
              mexican restaurants.

              --- In new_distillers@egroups.com, Brad McMahon <brad@s...> wrote:

              > Tom Johnson wrote:
              >

              > > second my question is about essences. if you distill tequilla
              using the specific
              > > cactus as you mash and distill it shouldnt it be flavoured like
              tequilla or do
              > > most distillers just make pure alcohol and then flavour it later
              with a additive
              > > to seem like a tequilla ?
              > > tj
              >
              > Are you talking about amateur or commercial distillers?
              >
              > I saw an article on TV yesterday about the rising price of
              > agave cactus. A few years ago it was worth a few cents
              > a kilogram. There is a shortage now and the price has
              > risen to US$1.50 a kilogram.
              > They were worried that because of the cost the quality
              > of tequila will drop dramatically and become the cheap hooch
              > it was years ago rather than the complex drink it is today.
            • Matt
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 11, 2001
                On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 03:33:55AM -0000, ebarker@... wrote:

                > With the shortage of agave, the upgrading of Tequila's being no
                > longer cut with grain alcohols, and the excess disposable money
                > in the aging baby boomer generation, Tequila prices will increase
                > and the product will become more of a high end speciality item
                > like the premium Scotch's. According to the laws of supply and
                > demand and a friend of mine that is the president of a chain of
                > mexican restaurants.

                in spite of all the disposable income of Yanquis and the problems with
                agave plants contracting diseases there apparently will be a bumper crop
                sometime around '08. there are many new plantings in the ground now.
                2-12 months later, it will be Reposado time!

                Matthew @ psibercom