Welches recipe

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2008
      A few weeks ago a newbie asked for some easy recipes. I gave him the
      Wheat Germ Recipe which remains one of my favorites. However Sherman
      weighed in and suggested a simple Welches Grape Juice Recipe and also
      said it just didnt get any easier than that one. How right he was. I
      Gathered my juice at wally world last Friday and had it in the bucket
      friday night. I only did a 3 gallon wash that used 8 cans of "Welch's
      100% Grape Juice made from Concord Grapes". This was the only one
      under the Welch's name that did NOT name a preservative in the
      ingredients. I made my wash by pouring the contents of the 8
      containers in to the fermenter and adding water to a total volume of 3
      gallons which gave a Start SG of 1.070 or there abouts. I pitched 1
      packet of Red Star Green Packet yeast. Now folks, it really just
      doesnt get any easier. The next morning I could see through the clear
      fermenter that the Cap had reached about 5 inches tall and it was all
      over in 4 days. I racked it to a carboy and let it settle out for a
      couple of days over the AC vent in a no longer used room. This
      morning I racked and stripped and then did a spirit run. Here is the
      rub. 8 cans at 1.64 each comes to $13.12
      plus the yeast so lets say $14.00. With my cuts I just got a quart of
      100 proof drinking spirits. For that money I can pick up a 750ml of
      Teachers scotch on the way home tomorrow, and I know thats what a lot
      of you are thinking also. For the Newbie however this is as Sherman
      said damn near foolproof. I also hope that there are a few guys left
      here that are not just in this for the cheap booze.
      The Spirit isnt bad, its just not what I like. You can taste the
      grape flavor coming through and it probably wouldnt be bad on oak for
      a few months. But for the Really Green Newbie with no Beer or Wine
      experience it just might be the ticket for a successful first wash.

      Mason