Re: 4th corn mesh

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1 8:14 AM
      I have been trying prepare myself for a full grain mesh. What
      should
      > > my next step be in preparing for a full grain mesh?
      > >

      > > The best for last
      > > BILL1BURP

      Hey Bill,
      I would consider the next step to be a flaked grain mash. From what I
      understand you are pretty close to Rick/Brewhaus and he has the
      ingredients to do it. I don't know that I would go with the whole
      cracked corn thing yet but if you wanted to put the money into it you
      could do an all malt whiskey. 10lbs of cracked barley malt would make
      a nice whiskey for aging. You would just heat your water to 155F add
      in the malt stir well and let it rest for 90 min. Then you have the
      option to bring it to boil (I probably wouldn't) to kill off any wild
      yeasts and disinfect or just chill it to below 100F and pitch your
      yeast. I would use the prestige AG Yeast. Double distill and maybe
      even try out Harry's "Peatreek" essence recipe. This would be a good
      whiskey to age in that new premium BBL you picked up. Just a thought.
      I have a small amount of experience with grain washes and all have
      been successful ferments. Cant really say the same on the still side
      but I am getting better. If you need any help let me know. You know
      how to reach me.

      Mason
    • daddyman00126
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1 11:39 AM
        Thanks Mason.

        I have been preparing strip runs to get enough low wines to make
        about 3 gallons. The MASH I have been using is the corn flake and
        corn meal with sugar and malted barley. I have one batch in low
        wines, a second in the ferment bucket and will do another in a couple
        of weeks. This should get me my 3 gallons of low wines. I will then
        do a spirit run and put it in the smaller keg I got from Brewhaus.
        That would be the economy keg 3 liter in size.

        After that I need to figure out some grain bills and see which way I
        want to go. Here are some of the grain bills I have been looking at.

        Kentucky Sweet Mash
        20 L water (5 gal)
        2 kg (4 and 1/2 lb) corn meal
        500 g (1 lb) (I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS IS) RYE???
        50 g malted grain (DONT KNOW WHAT THIS IS) MALTED BARLEY???

        5.25lb of cracked corn
        .85lb of malted barley
        .9lb of rye
        33% backset

        5.6lb of cracked corn
        .5lb of 6row barley
        .84lb rye
        24% backset

        Still looking for Heaven Hill's grain bill.

        Any ideas, any comments will be welcome.

        The best for last
        BILL1BURP