Re: homemade yeast nutrients

    Message 1 of 20 , May 31, 2008
      <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

      > The British version of the product is a sticky, dark brown paste with
      > a distinctive, powerful flavour, which is extremely salty and savoury

      Beware of putting anything too salty (Sodium Chloride) in your
      fermentations. Salt, even in relatively small amounts, will stop yeast
      activity dead in its tracks! Ask any baker (my previous life).

      Just as an example, when I was baking, I made bread doughs with a total
      mass of 42kg which contained 500g salt and 1kg compressed yeast. If I
      doubled the salt to 1kg inadvertantly (sometimes happens, nobody's
      perfect) then the resulting dough refused to rise (no yeast activity)
      and it had to be thrown out and made again. Boss definitely NOT happy!