4th corn mesh

  • daddyman00126
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2008
      Hello folks.

      For the past few months I have been working the corn flake with corn
      meal mesh. I have just finished my 4th mesh and I am getting
      confortable with it.

      I got about 2.5 gallons of water boiling. I am able to add the
      processed corn flakes straight to the boiling water without it
      clumping up. I then use about 3/4 of a gallon of cool water to mix my
      corn meal into it and then pour that into my mesh pot. This is how I
      can get the corn meal not to clump up.

      When I do get it back up to boiling I will keep it at a slow boil for
      about an hour. Then I take the pot and put it into my sink and add
      cool water around the pot to cool it down. When I get it to 155F I
      will put it back on the stove and add 1 pound of malted barley. After
      just a few minutes the corn soup will thin out and get watery. I will
      put the flame on low and hold it between 140F to 155F for about 45
      minutes.

      This time I got very little scorching at the bottom of the pan.

      1 Box Corn Flakes 18 oz.
      2 Pounds of Stone Milled Corn Meal
      1 Pound of Malted Barley
      7 Pounds of Sugar
      3 Tablespoons of Distillers Nutrients
      1.5 Gallons of backset
      5 Gallons of filtered Water
      2 Packets of EC-1118 Yeast 5ml each

      I got an SG 1.070 at 81F + .002 = 1.072 SG

      I have been trying prepare myself for a full grain mesh. What should
      my next step be in preparing for a full grain mesh?

      The best for last
      BILL1BURP
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31, 2008
        Hey Bill,

        First step would be to learn how to spell M-A-S-H right, not mesh.;);)

        Next, look up MASH or MASHING in the Info base and read up on it.
        There are several steps required to mashing and using malted barley,
        or you can use enzymes or diastatic malt extract. It should be all
        in there.

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
        <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

        > Hello folks.
        >
        > For the past few months I have been working the corn flake with
        corn
        > meal mesh. I have just finished my 4th mesh and I am getting
        > confortable with it.
        >
        > I got about 2.5 gallons of water boiling. I am able to add the
        > processed corn flakes straight to the boiling water without it
        > clumping up. I then use about 3/4 of a gallon of cool water to mix
        my
        > corn meal into it and then pour that into my mesh pot. This is how
        > can get the corn meal not to clump up.
        >
        > When I do get it back up to boiling I will keep it at a slow boil
        for
        > about an hour. Then I take the pot and put it into my sink and add
        > cool water around the pot to cool it down. When I get it to 155F I
        > will put it back on the stove and add 1 pound of malted barley.
        After
        > just a few minutes the corn soup will thin out and get watery. I
        will
        > put the flame on low and hold it between 140F to 155F for about 45
        > minutes.
        >
        > This time I got very little scorching at the bottom of the pan.
        >
        > 1 Box Corn Flakes 18 oz.
        > 2 Pounds of Stone Milled Corn Meal
        > 1 Pound of Malted Barley
        > 7 Pounds of Sugar
        > 3 Tablespoons of Distillers Nutrients
        > 1.5 Gallons of backset
        > 5 Gallons of filtered Water
        > 2 Packets of EC-1118 Yeast 5ml each
        >
        > I got an SG 1.070 at 81F + .002 = 1.072 SG
        >
        > I have been trying prepare myself for a full grain mesh. What
        should
        > my next step be in preparing for a full grain mesh?
        >

        > The best for last
        > BILL1BURP

      • daddyman00126
        Message 3 of 5 , May 31, 2008
          Thanks Jim

          BILL1BURP

          <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

          > Hey Bill,
          >
          > First step would be to learn how to spell M-A-S-H right, not
          mesh.;);)

          > Next, look up MASH or MASHING in the Info base and read up on it.
          > There are several steps required to mashing and using malted
          barley,
          > or you can use enzymes or diastatic malt extract. It should be all
          > in there.
          >
          > Vino es Veritas,
          > Jim.
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
          > <daddyman00126@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello folks.
          > >
          > > For the past few months I have been working the corn flake with
          > corn
          > > meal mesh. I have just finished my 4th mesh and I am getting
          > > confortable with it.
          > >
          > > I got about 2.5 gallons of water boiling. I am able to add the
          > > processed corn flakes straight to the boiling water without it
          > > clumping up. I then use about 3/4 of a gallon of cool water to
          mix
          > my
          > > corn meal into it and then pour that into my mesh pot. This is
          how
          > > can get the corn meal not to clump up.
          > >
          > > When I do get it back up to boiling I will keep it at a slow boil
          > for
          > > about an hour. Then I take the pot and put it into my sink and
          add
          > > cool water around the pot to cool it down. When I get it to 155F
          > > will put it back on the stove and add 1 pound of malted barley.
          > After
          > > just a few minutes the corn soup will thin out and get watery. I
          > will
          > > put the flame on low and hold it between 140F to 155F for about
          45
          > > minutes.
          > >
          > > This time I got very little scorching at the bottom of the pan.
          > >
          > > 1 Box Corn Flakes 18 oz.
          > > 2 Pounds of Stone Milled Corn Meal
          > > 1 Pound of Malted Barley
          > > 7 Pounds of Sugar
          > > 3 Tablespoons of Distillers Nutrients
          > > 1.5 Gallons of backset
          > > 5 Gallons of filtered Water
          > > 2 Packets of EC-1118 Yeast 5ml each
          > >
          > > I got an SG 1.070 at 81F + .002 = 1.072 SG
          > >
          > > I have been trying prepare myself for a full grain mesh. What
          > should
          > > my next step be in preparing for a full grain mesh?
          > >

          > > The best for last
          > > BILL1BURP

        • rye_junkie1
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
            I have been trying prepare myself for a full grain mesh. What
            should
            > > my next step be in preparing for a full grain mesh?
            > >

            > > The best for last
            > > BILL1BURP

            Hey Bill,
            I would consider the next step to be a flaked grain mash. From what I
            understand you are pretty close to Rick/Brewhaus and he has the
            ingredients to do it. I don't know that I would go with the whole
            cracked corn thing yet but if you wanted to put the money into it you
            could do an all malt whiskey. 10lbs of cracked barley malt would make
            a nice whiskey for aging. You would just heat your water to 155F add
            in the malt stir well and let it rest for 90 min. Then you have the
            option to bring it to boil (I probably wouldn't) to kill off any wild
            yeasts and disinfect or just chill it to below 100F and pitch your
            yeast. I would use the prestige AG Yeast. Double distill and maybe
            even try out Harry's "Peatreek" essence recipe. This would be a good
            whiskey to age in that new premium BBL you picked up. Just a thought.
            I have a small amount of experience with grain washes and all have
            been successful ferments. Cant really say the same on the still side
            but I am getting better. If you need any help let me know. You know
            how to reach me.

            Mason
          • daddyman00126
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
              Thanks Mason.

              I have been preparing strip runs to get enough low wines to make
              about 3 gallons. The MASH I have been using is the corn flake and
              corn meal with sugar and malted barley. I have one batch in low
              wines, a second in the ferment bucket and will do another in a couple
              of weeks. This should get me my 3 gallons of low wines. I will then
              do a spirit run and put it in the smaller keg I got from Brewhaus.
              That would be the economy keg 3 liter in size.

              After that I need to figure out some grain bills and see which way I
              want to go. Here are some of the grain bills I have been looking at.

              Kentucky Sweet Mash
              20 L water (5 gal)
              2 kg (4 and 1/2 lb) corn meal
              500 g (1 lb) (I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS IS) RYE???
              50 g malted grain (DONT KNOW WHAT THIS IS) MALTED BARLEY???

              5.25lb of cracked corn
              .85lb of malted barley
              .9lb of rye
              33% backset

              5.6lb of cracked corn
              .5lb of 6row barley
              .84lb rye
              24% backset

              Still looking for Heaven Hill's grain bill.

              Any ideas, any comments will be welcome.

              The best for last
              BILL1BURP