homemade yeast nutrients

  • rick
    Message 1 of 20 , May 29 4:52 PM
      saw something on homemade yeast nutrients,can you make them,if could
      someone tell me how.
    • castillo.alex2008
      Message 2 of 20 , May 29 6:01 PM
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rick" <rrogers10@...> wrote:

        > saw something on homemade yeast nutrients,can you make them,if could
        > someone tell me how.

        Hi Rick. By homemade I think you mean available at the supermarket,
        the most common ones are tomato paste, molasses and wheat germ. Go
        over the files, there are very good ones, as the one I saw a few days
        ago by mason

        20-%20Rye%20Junkie/

        Anyways there are a lot of excellent distiller here, beginning with
        Harry (the owner), Jim the moderator, Mason and many more! They for
        sure will give you more info.

        Alex
      • Ricky Rogers
        Message 3 of 20 , May 29 6:26 PM
          saw one there useing tomato paste..just starting distilling going simple to start..16 qt. boiler,copper worm,bucket filled with ice.just want simple sugar recipe 5 gallon batch..I have been brewing my own beer for about 4 years now,all grain,and looking to branch out a little.thanks for the info I will keep resding through the files..thanks again Rick..

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/new_ distillers/ files/Mason% 20Jar%20Dixon%
          20-%20Rye%20Junkie/

          Anyways there are a lot of excellent distiller here, beginning with
          Harry (the owner), Jim the moderator, Mason and many more! They for
          sure will give you more info.

          Alex

          Checked by AVG.
        • castillo.alex2008
          Message 4 of 20 , May 29 9:41 PM
            Hey rick, take a look at the thread about yeast, specially the final
            ones by Harry answering my questions, will help you a lot.

            Alex

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky Rogers" <rrogers10@...>
            wrote:

            > saw one there useing tomato paste..just starting distilling going
            simple to start..16 qt. boiler,copper worm,bucket filled with
            ice.just want simple sugar recipe 5 gallon batch..I have been brewing
            my own beer for about 4 years now,all grain,and looking to branch out
            a little.thanks for the info I will keep resding through the
            files..thanks again Rick..

            5/29/2008 7:27 AM

            Message 5 of 20 , May 30 2:38 AM

              Hey Rick, Alex and others,

              Let me give you a brief synopsis on yeast, yeast nutrients and how to concoct a "home made" version, which I have been working on over the past year.

              Yeast nutrients contains several different components.  First, one must realize that yeast is a single celled plant.  Actually:

              "Yeast is a facultative anaerobe which is just a fancy way of saying that it can survive and grow in the presence (aerobic) or absence (anaerobic) of oxygen.   The presence of oxygen determines the metabolic fate of the cell.  In terms of the yeast cell, its survival, growth and metabolism is optimal in the presence of oxygen.  In this case, yeast will rapidly grow to high densities and will convert sugar (glucose) to carbon dioxide and water.  Under anaerobic conditions, yeast grows much more slowly and to lower densities and glucose is incompletely metabolized to ethanol and carbon dioxide.  It is important to realize that optimal yeast growth is distinct from fermentation.  "  (Dr. M.B. Raines)

              As with all plants, in addition to air, yeast needs certain base minerals to grow and multiply.  These include a source of Nitrogen, Phosphates, Potassium, Magnesium, Zinc and other trace elements.   In addtion to these minerals, yeast needs lipids, proteins, vitamins (especially the B-complex,  and Folic acid) and amino acids to generate daughter cells during the  accelerating and exponential growth phases.  These take place during the aerobic stage  in the first 24 - 36 hours.  During this period, the yeast is digesting the sugars, and nutrients - growing at an exponential rate -  and generating water and CO2.   During this period, yeast will multiply from around 3 - 4 million cells / ml (depending on pitch and starter)  to over 100 - 200 million cells / ml.

              The next phase,  the anaerobic or stationary phase, is where growth slows down and the yeast start generating  alcohol and C02.  This phase is usually completed in 3 to 5 days or until full attenuation of sugars is reached.

              Regarding your suggestions of  Tomato Paste, Molassas and Wheat Germ as nutrients,  tomato paste only provides protein,  molassas and wheat germ provides most of  the minerals, amino acids and vitamins.   However, if you go with these, your become very limited on what types of liquors you can make.

              My goals in experimenting with a home made nutrient base were to create something that could be used in any sugar wash, wort or mash, - reduce costs - and also to become less reliant on the wine / brewing shops (the nearest one being almost 500 miles away :).

              (And yes Harry,  the expense  of all the ingredients required for fermentation and distilling, including shipping and handling, does become a major consideration if one has not had a job or income over the past 13 months ;););).

              Harry's suggestion of using  Vegemite (an Austrailian concoction and very difficult to obtain in the US - No offense Harry:):) is condensed yeast extract and a great source of vitamins,amino acids and lipids:

              VEGEMITE FKV02.1

              £2.65

              KRAFT VEGEMITE MADE IN AUSTRALIA A GOOD SOURCE OF FOLIC ACID WITH NO ADDED VITAMINS

              The original recipe of Vegemite as a concentrated yeast extract has remained virtually unchanged for 80 years.

              Yeast is known as a natural source of the vitamin B complex which includes thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, biotin, p-amino benzoic acid and several other compounds.

              Yeast extract is four or five times more concentrated than yeast, making it one of the richest known sources of the vitamin B group. In addition to being rich in vitamin B, yeast extract also contains other essential proteins and minerals – all of which make Vegemite an excellent addition to the family diet.

              A single serving of Vegemite (5g) on a slice of bread provides a large percentage of your daily vitamin B requirements:

              Thiamine (B1) plays an essential part in converting carbohydrates to energy, as well as being important for growth and normal functioning of the nervous system and heart.

              Riboflavin (B2) is also important for the release of energy from foods, in particular protein metabolism. Riboflavin is essential for the development and repair of tissues, including the skin and eyes as well as being necessary for growth.

              Niacin (B3) is necessary for normal energy metabolism.

              Folate is essential for the formation of red blood cells and the production of enzymes and other body proteins. A deficiency in folate results in a type of anaemia, which can cause weakness, tiredness, diarrhoea and weight loss and growth may be affected in babies and young children. Folate also plays a vital role in the growth of a developing embryo. Research has revealed that the risk of having a baby with a neural tube defect can be reduced up to 70% if women increase their intake of folate.

              http://www.a1fruiterers.co.uk/shop/itm01276.htm

               The other good alternative Harry suggested is taking the leftover trub, at the bottom of the fermenter, after your wash clears and boiling that up.  This is the method I use.  As a futher way of re-cycling (and cost reduction) I save some of this trub (unboiled) for use as a new starter batch in the next fermentation, rather then pitching new yeast every time.  This approach is called "Re-harvesting" yeast, or you can re-propagate it per Dr. M.B. Raines methods.

              However, the yeast still needs a source of the minerals listed above,  the most important of which is nitrogen, then potassium, phosphates and magnesium.  This is why most yeast nutrients include yeast hulls (ghost hulls as Alex stated - see Vegemite above) and DAP (di-ammonium phosphate) for the nitrogen source.  The problem with DAP is that it is hard to comeby at your local food store, so I do not consider it congenial to making a "home made" yeast nutrient base.

              As an alternative, I have experimented with different plant foods for the sources of N-P-K (nitrogen, phosphates and potassium), finally settling on a 24-8-16 all purpose plant food (NO pesticides) such as Miracle-Gro or any other brand.  For the Magnesium, I add some Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate), for the protein, 1 small can of tomato paste - and for addtional vitamins, 1 or 2 tablets of a one-a-day type vitamin suppliment.

              All of these ingredients may be found in any large muti-dept store chain such as K-mart, Walmart, Stop and Shop etc...

              To sum up my recipe - for a 25 - 30 liter wash or mash:

              - 1 liter of boiled trub (dead yeast cells)   for Lipids, Amino acids and Vitamins

              - 2 Tablespoons 24-8-16 plant food   for N-P-K and trace elements

              -1 teaspoon Epson Salts   for addtional magnesium (if not in plant food)

              - 1 can Tomato Paste

              -1 /2 tablets multi-vitamins   for addtional vitaimins.

              With this recipe, and sufficient aeration during the first 3 - 5 hours,  I have been able to ferment out a 17% ABV,  5 to 6 gallon sugar wash in 3 / 3.5 days.

              NOTE 1.  I also add 1 box of Rice Krispies for additional nutrients and Solids to my sugar washes. (may not be necessary).

              NOTE 2.  For my corn whiskey (white lightening) mash,  I add my corn meal and  1 box of Corn Flakes instead.

              In summary, I suggest you all read up on Dr. M.B. Raines' disertation on yeast propagation at:

              http://maltosefalcons.com/tech/MB_Raines_Guide_to_Yeast_Culturing.php

              Also if you want the history of this, and the interesting discussions between Harry and myself, along with reading about his "666 Sign of the Beast Recipe" and my version of Viktor's Econ-O-Wash,   you can read the thread on DAP, from this March starting with Msg:

              Have fun all.

              Vino es Veritas,

              Jim.

            • rick
              Message 6 of 20 , May 30 7:27 AM
                <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
                >thats a lot of info,thanks, when you say limited to what you can
                make,what would I be limited to..I posted before that I was trying to
                go simple as possible and local,supermarket,sugar wash.I am limited
                on income,once a month.I do my own beer,all grain, and try to keep it
                simple but good,as I am my bigest critic,lol..haveing a blast with
                that for 4 years now and use a safale yeast but have never used any
                yeast nutrients but my beer is only 7.7% alcohol which is great for
                my ales.

                Message 7 of 20 , May 30 8:12 AM
                  Hey Rick,

                  Wheat Germ, Molassas and Tomato paste would be fine for a rum, or a
                  wheat germ type (moonshine) mash and a sugar wash (although you may
                  get some aruments from distillers shooting for a neutral tasting
                  alcohol).

                  However I would be hesitant to use these ingredients in my Blackberry
                  Brandy, Peach Brandy or my Apple Brandy. Also for making my corn
                  liquer (a whiskeyesque mash made with sugar, corn meal and Corn
                  Flakes, instead of all grain), I would also be hesitant to add 12 oz
                  of Molassas.

                  Also you should look at the cost of 12 oz of molassas (about 4.95 vs
                  3.95 for 10 lbs of sugar) and the price of wheat germ (again about 4
                  to 5 bucks for a jar vs 2 bucks for 2 lbs of corn meal).

                  For that much money, just for nutrient values, you might as well go
                  out and buy a 5 lb. bag of yeast nutrients with DAP (9.95 at the
                  brewing shop) and use 2 to 4 Tablespoons per each 25 liter wash /
                  mash (should last you a hell of a long time:):).

                  Vino es Veritas,
                  Jim.

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 30 8:21 AM
                    Sidenote Rick,
                    If you want "simple as possible" you should definitely read Harry's 666
                    recipe and my version of the Econ-O-Wash recipe as stated in the
                    Jim.

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rick" <rrogers10@> wrote:

                    > ---Snip----

                    > thats a lot of info,thanks, when you say limited to what you can
                    > make,what would I be limited to..I posted before that I was trying to
                    > go simple as possible and local,supermarket,sugar wash.I am limited
                    > on income,once a month.I do my own beer,all grain, and try to keep it
                    > simple but good,as I am my bigest critic,lol..haveing a blast with
                    > that for 4 years now and use a safale yeast but have never used any
                    > yeast nutrients but my beer is only 7.7% alcohol which is great for
                    > my ales.

                  • castillo.alex2008
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 30 12:36 PM
                      you might as well go
                      > out and buy a 5 lb. bag of yeast nutrients with DAP (9.95 at the
                      > brewing shop)

                      Hey jim that´s cheap! where are you buying?!

                      Alex
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 30 12:46 PM
                        Weekend Brewers in Richmond, VA -
                        http://www.weekendbrewer.com/beerwinechemicals.htm

                        Vino es Veritas,
                        Jim.

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
                        <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

                        > you might as well go
                        > > out and buy a 5 lb. bag of yeast nutrients with DAP (9.95 at the
                        > > brewing shop)
                        >
                        > Hey jim that´s cheap! where are you buying?!
                        >
                        > Alex

                      • billy.turf
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 30 2:17 PM
                          <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                          > Weekend Brewers in Richmond, VA -
                          > http://www.weekendbrewer.com/beerwinechemicals.htm
                          >
                          > Vino es Veritas,
                          > Jim.

                          WOW you guys have got is really good. Nice equiptment!
                        • castillo.alex2008
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 30 3:11 PM
                            Hey Jim, excellent place for buying the yeast nutrients, very
                            affordable I´m calling this people by monday (or maybe tomorrow, LOL)
                            it´s a real shame I woudn´t know about them before! I also see they
                            have the amylase enzyme and the pectic enzyme, which are used to
                            convert grain starch into fermentable sugars. I know that first you
                            have to gelatinize the mashed grain, boiling it during some time
                            (which?) at a given temp. (60-70C) (How do you achive that only using
                            your stove?)What I don´t know is if you have to use one first
                            (which?) and later other and at what temp. I also wonder if boiling
                            the mashed grain with some citric acid (kinda large?) will do the
                            same and later you just adjust the PH with baking soda to 5,cool the
                            mash, add the nutrients and pitch the yeast.

                            As always, your comments are... well I think that by now you are
                            aware of that cliche!LOL

                            Thanks,

                            Alex

                            <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                            > Weekend Brewers in Richmond, VA -
                            > http://www.weekendbrewer.com/beerwinechemicals.htm
                            >
                            > Vino es Veritas,
                            > Jim.
                            >
                            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008"
                            > <castillo.alex2008@> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > you might as well go
                            > > > out and buy a 5 lb. bag of yeast nutrients with DAP (9.95 at
                            the
                            > > > brewing shop)
                            > >
                            > > Hey jim that´s cheap! where are you buying?!
                            > >
                            > > Alex

                          • rye_junkie1
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 30 3:44 PM
                              Hey Jim,
                              Regarding your earlier post that mentioned Vegemite.
                              I have seen in many grocery stores a brand called Marmite.
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite
                              It too is expensive by some standards but I thought folks might be
                              interested in a US source for a possibly similar produce. I will let
                              harry and the guys weigh in on if it is comparable or not. I have
                              seen it in Publix and a few other stores but not wally world.

                              Mason
                            • SLOUGHVIEW@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 30 3:55 PM
                                hi
                                as anyone will to tell there are two kinds of people in the world..
                                those who love vegemite and those who love marmite.
                                i'm one of those who love vegemite.
                                slough

                                Message 15 of 20 , May 30 6:28 PM
                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, SLOUGHVIEW@... wrote:

                                  > hi
                                  > as anyone will to tell there are two kinds of people in the world..
                                  > those who love vegemite and those who love marmite.
                                  > i'm one of those who love vegemite.
                                  > slough

                                  Hello there, Vegemite is a yeast extract and Marmite is a meat extract
                                  perhaps only Vegemite would be suitable as a yeast nutrient
                                  Cheers..tippler
                                • rye_junkie1
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 30 8:06 PM
                                    Hello there, Vegemite is a yeast extract and Marmite is a meat extract
                                    > perhaps only Vegemite would be suitable as a yeast nutrient
                                    > Cheers..tippler

                                    I am pretty sure that I read a recipe in the sugar wash section on
                                    home distiller that had marmite in the mash bill. Does not make it
                                    right but pretty sure it was there.

                                    Mason
                                  • rye_junkie1
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 30 8:08 PM

                                      > Hello there, Vegemite is a yeast extract and Marmite is a meat extract
                                      > > perhaps only Vegemite would be suitable as a yeast nutrient
                                      > > Cheers..tippler
                                      > >

                                      > I am pretty sure that I read a recipe in the sugar wash section on
                                      > home distiller that had marmite in the mash bill. Does not make it
                                      > right but pretty sure it was there.
                                      >
                                      > Mason

                                      Yep, just checked.
                                      Smudges recipe called for 100g in a 100 liter wash.

                                      Mason
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 31 2:15 AM
                                        Not quite right Tip,

                                        Vegemite is made from pure yeast extract, while Marmite is made from
                                        used Brewer's yeast after a fermentation. Reason why some perfer one
                                        over the other.

                                        "Marmite (pronounced [/ˈmɑːmaɪt/]) is the name given to two similar
                                        food spreads, a British version produced in the United Kingdom and
                                        South Africa and the other in New Zealand. Marmite is made from yeast
                                        extract, a by-product of beer brewing, and is suitable for
                                        vegetarians and vegans.

                                        The British version of the product is a sticky, dark brown paste with
                                        a distinctive, powerful flavour, which is extremely salty and savoury
                                        with umami qualities, comparable to soy sauce. This distinctive taste
                                        is reflected in the British company's marketing slogan: "Love it or
                                        hate it." It is similar to the Australian Vegemite and Swiss Cenovis.
                                        Bovril is a similar-looking spread made from beef extract.

                                        The distinctive product was originally British, but a version with a
                                        noticeably different taste has been manufactured in New Zealand since
                                        1919, and this is the dominant version in New Zealand, Australia and
                                        the Pacific Islands."

                                        Vino es Veritas,
                                        Jim.

                                        Tippler Wrote:

                                        > > Hello there, Vegemite is a yeast extract and Marmite is a meat
                                        extract
                                        > > > perhaps only Vegemite would be suitable as a yeast nutrient
                                        > > > Cheers..tippler

                                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@>
                                        > wrote:

                                        > > I am pretty sure that I read a recipe in the sugar wash section on
                                        > > home distiller that had marmite in the mash bill. Does not make
                                        it
                                        > > right but pretty sure it was there.
                                        > >
                                        > > Mason
                                        > >

                                        > Yep, just checked.
                                        > Smudges recipe called for 100g in a 100 liter wash.
                                        >
                                        > Mason

                                      • waljaco
                                        Message 19 of 20 , May 31 6:04 AM
                                          I have jars of both the English Marmite and the Australian clone
                                          Vegemite - both are yeast extracts. For distillers it would be cheaper
                                          to use spent brewers yeast from health stores.
                                          wal
                                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tippler106" <tippler106@...>

                                          Message 20 of 20 , May 31 4:02 PM
                                            <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                                            > The British version of the product is a sticky, dark brown paste with
                                            > a distinctive, powerful flavour, which is extremely salty and savoury

                                            Beware of putting anything too salty (Sodium Chloride) in your
                                            fermentations. Salt, even in relatively small amounts, will stop yeast
                                            activity dead in its tracks! Ask any baker (my previous life).

                                            Just as an example, when I was baking, I made bread doughs with a total
                                            mass of 42kg which contained 500g salt and 1kg compressed yeast. If I
                                            doubled the salt to 1kg inadvertantly (sometimes happens, nobody's
                                            perfect) then the resulting dough refused to rise (no yeast activity)
                                            and it had to be thrown out and made again. Boss definitely NOT happy!