Re: Your Thoughts

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2008
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tippler106" <tippler106@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello, I am not really good with computers so cannot give a photo so I
      > will Try to give a word pic. I acquired a pot still,18 gall s/s beer
      > keg, s/s bolt down plate top. s/s pipe welded in rising
      > 1m,lagged.bend screwing on to same size s/s pipe running at a slight
      > fall 2m, another bend directing it straight down. it then has 10m
      > coiled copper that fits into a 200l drum. outlet in the drum side
      > through which the end of the worm exits.This s/s pipe is 1"od,all
      > lagged and the worm is 1/2" od. I seem to have been reading that all
      > the pipes you chaps talk about in systems are much larger in od than
      > mine. Whats your thoughts? I would not like to be near a steam bomb if
      > there is a blockage.If I drilled a hole in the top of the keg to
      > insert a thermometer that would blow out if there is a pressure build
      > up to give a warning. You Think? Cheers,Tippler

      Hello Tip,
      The 1" tube you have should be fine for a pot still set up. my pot rig
      is 1" copper and never had a problem. That sure sounds like a lot of
      pipe though. For a pot rig 12" of upright column and then a meter of
      lyne are would be plenty sufficient. The length and diameter of the
      coil sounds sufficient. I would rather have my thermometer placed in
      the top of the column. One in the top of the boiler also does not
      hurt. I use both. It probably wouldn't blow it out if there was a
      blockage but if you were paying attention you would see a fairly rapid
      temp rise.

      Mason