Re: [new_distillers] Flavourings

  • janpam ooms
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2001
      Hi Brad, any of the brands you mentioned are OK, some need a bit longer to
      mature than others, the swedish ones from GERT STRAND are also very good
      but expensive.most of us here in Australia use all of the brands you
      mentioned, it all depends on your taste. Where are you situated? ALL THER
      BEST. JAN.

      >From: daveandand@...
      >To: new_distillers@egroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Flavourings
      >Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 20:10:47 EST
      >
      >In a message dated 01/05/2001 7:08:18 PM Central Standard Time,
      >brad@... writes:
      >
      > > Hi guys,
      > > I am new to the art, having just got
      > > myself a Spirits Unlimited 5l pot still.
      > > I have done a couple of experiments and am happy with how things are
      >turning
      > > out. I am going to be making my own natural flavourings where ever
      >possible
      > > (part of the reason I went pot rather than reflux) but there are, of
      >course,
      > > some spirits that I can't easily reproduce.
      > >
      > > Which brand(s) in your opinions make the best flavourings?
      > > I know of Top Shelf, Noirot, Spirits Unlimited and Still Spirits.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > Brad
      > >

      >do you know of any flavorings for tequila?

    • Brad McMahon
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2001
        janpam ooms wrote:

        > Hi Brad, any of the brands you mentioned are OK, some need a bit longer to
        > mature than others, the swedish ones from GERT STRAND are also very good
        > but expensive.most of us here in Australia use all of the brands you
        > mentioned, it all depends on your taste. Where are you situated? ALL THER
        > BEST. JAN.

        Hi Jan,
        I am in Adelaide. I saw a post from someone saying
        that one of the brands was "yuk". I just want to destroy my hard
        work by crap concentrates.

        Brad
      • Brad McMahon
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2001
          Brad McMahon wrote:

          > Hi Jan,
          > I am in Adelaide. I saw a post from someone saying
          > that one of the brands was "yuk". I just want to destroy my hard
          > work by crap concentrates.
          >
          > Brad
          Make that - DON'T want to destroy :-)
          No I haven't been drinking!

          Cheers again!

          Brad
        • Tom Johnson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
            first off the posting i made about the still for sale is still valid I just have
            to get the photos developed aplogise to those who responded and will get back to
            you with the photos a/s/a/p .
            second my question is about essences. if you distill tequilla using the specific
            cactus as you mash and distill it shouldnt it be flavoured like tequilla or do
            most distillers just make pure alcohol and then flavour it later with a additive
            to seem like a tequilla ?
            tj

            janpam ooms wrote:

            > Hello Brad, sory to disappoint you but none of us make Tequila, we just dont
            > like it. Personally i will make some just for coctails only but will buy the
            > commercially available essence for it.they tell me that the swedish essence
            > is very good, but expensice. Ragards Jan.
            >

            > > > do you know of any flavorings for tequila?
            > >
            > >Tequila is one I want to make!
            > >
            > >Spirits Unlimited and Still Spirits make a Tequila flavour according
            > >to the Aqua Vitae shop site, http://www.aquavitae.co.nz
            > >I know my Home-brew shop carries one of these, I can't remember which.
            > >Anyone tried either of them?

          • Brad McMahon
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 10, 2001
              Tom Johnson wrote:

              > second my question is about essences. if you distill tequilla using the specific
              > cactus as you mash and distill it shouldnt it be flavoured like tequilla or do
              > most distillers just make pure alcohol and then flavour it later with a additive
              > to seem like a tequilla ?
              > tj

              Are you talking about amateur or commercial distillers?

              I saw an article on TV yesterday about the rising price of
              agave cactus. A few years ago it was worth a few cents
              a kilogram. There is a shortage now and the price has
              risen to US$1.50 a kilogram.
              They were worried that because of the cost the quality
              of tequila will drop dramatically and become the cheap hooch
              it was years ago rather than the complex drink it is today.
            • ebarker@eoncc.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 11, 2001
                With the shortage of agave, the upgrading of Tequila's being no
                longer cut with grain alcohols, and the excess disposable money
                in the aging baby boomer generation, Tequila prices will increase
                and the product will become more of a high end speciality item
                like the premium Scotch's. According to the laws of supply and
                demand and a friend of mine that is the president of a chain of
                mexican restaurants.

                --- In new_distillers@egroups.com, Brad McMahon <brad@s...> wrote:

                > Tom Johnson wrote:
                >

                > > second my question is about essences. if you distill tequilla
                using the specific
                > > cactus as you mash and distill it shouldnt it be flavoured like
                tequilla or do
                > > most distillers just make pure alcohol and then flavour it later
                with a additive
                > > to seem like a tequilla ?
                > > tj
                >
                > Are you talking about amateur or commercial distillers?
                >
                > I saw an article on TV yesterday about the rising price of
                > agave cactus. A few years ago it was worth a few cents
                > a kilogram. There is a shortage now and the price has
                > risen to US$1.50 a kilogram.
                > They were worried that because of the cost the quality
                > of tequila will drop dramatically and become the cheap hooch
                > it was years ago rather than the complex drink it is today.
              • Matt
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 11, 2001
                  On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 03:33:55AM -0000, ebarker@... wrote:

                  > With the shortage of agave, the upgrading of Tequila's being no
                  > longer cut with grain alcohols, and the excess disposable money
                  > in the aging baby boomer generation, Tequila prices will increase
                  > and the product will become more of a high end speciality item
                  > like the premium Scotch's. According to the laws of supply and
                  > demand and a friend of mine that is the president of a chain of
                  > mexican restaurants.

                  in spite of all the disposable income of Yanquis and the problems with
                  agave plants contracting diseases there apparently will be a bumper crop
                  sometime around '08. there are many new plantings in the ground now.
                  2-12 months later, it will be Reposado time!

                  Matthew @ psibercom