Re: [new_distillers] Flavourings

  • janpam ooms
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2001
      Hello Brad, sory to disappoint you but none of us make Tequila, we just dont
      like it. Personally i will make some just for coctails only but will buy the
      commercially available essence for it.they tell me that the swedish essence
      is very good, but expensice. Ragards Jan.

      >From: Brad McMahon <brad@...>
      >To: new_distillers@egroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Flavourings
      >Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 11:49:00 +1030
      >

      >daveandand@... wrote:
      >

      > > do you know of any flavorings for tequila?
      >
      >Tequila is one I want to make!
      >
      >Spirits Unlimited and Still Spirits make a Tequila flavour according
      >to the Aqua Vitae shop site, http://www.aquavitae.co.nz
      >I know my Home-brew shop carries one of these, I can't remember which.
      >Anyone tried either of them?

    • janpam ooms
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2001
        Hi Brad, any of the brands you mentioned are OK, some need a bit longer to
        mature than others, the swedish ones from GERT STRAND are also very good
        but expensive.most of us here in Australia use all of the brands you
        mentioned, it all depends on your taste. Where are you situated? ALL THER
        BEST. JAN.

        >From: daveandand@...
        >To: new_distillers@egroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Flavourings
        >Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 20:10:47 EST
        >
        >In a message dated 01/05/2001 7:08:18 PM Central Standard Time,
        >brad@... writes:
        >
        > > Hi guys,
        > > I am new to the art, having just got
        > > myself a Spirits Unlimited 5l pot still.
        > > I have done a couple of experiments and am happy with how things are
        >turning
        > > out. I am going to be making my own natural flavourings where ever
        >possible
        > > (part of the reason I went pot rather than reflux) but there are, of
        >course,
        > > some spirits that I can't easily reproduce.
        > >
        > > Which brand(s) in your opinions make the best flavourings?
        > > I know of Top Shelf, Noirot, Spirits Unlimited and Still Spirits.
        > >
        > > Cheers,
        > >
        > > Brad
        > >

        >do you know of any flavorings for tequila?

      • Brad McMahon
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2001
          janpam ooms wrote:

          > Hi Brad, any of the brands you mentioned are OK, some need a bit longer to
          > mature than others, the swedish ones from GERT STRAND are also very good
          > but expensive.most of us here in Australia use all of the brands you
          > mentioned, it all depends on your taste. Where are you situated? ALL THER
          > BEST. JAN.

          Hi Jan,
          I am in Adelaide. I saw a post from someone saying
          that one of the brands was "yuk". I just want to destroy my hard
          work by crap concentrates.

          Brad
        • Brad McMahon
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 6, 2001
            Brad McMahon wrote:

            > Hi Jan,
            > I am in Adelaide. I saw a post from someone saying
            > that one of the brands was "yuk". I just want to destroy my hard
            > work by crap concentrates.
            >
            > Brad
            Make that - DON'T want to destroy :-)
            No I haven't been drinking!

            Cheers again!

            Brad
          • Tom Johnson
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
              first off the posting i made about the still for sale is still valid I just have
              to get the photos developed aplogise to those who responded and will get back to
              you with the photos a/s/a/p .
              second my question is about essences. if you distill tequilla using the specific
              cactus as you mash and distill it shouldnt it be flavoured like tequilla or do
              most distillers just make pure alcohol and then flavour it later with a additive
              to seem like a tequilla ?
              tj

              janpam ooms wrote:

              > Hello Brad, sory to disappoint you but none of us make Tequila, we just dont
              > like it. Personally i will make some just for coctails only but will buy the
              > commercially available essence for it.they tell me that the swedish essence
              > is very good, but expensice. Ragards Jan.
              >

              > > > do you know of any flavorings for tequila?
              > >
              > >Tequila is one I want to make!
              > >
              > >Spirits Unlimited and Still Spirits make a Tequila flavour according
              > >to the Aqua Vitae shop site, http://www.aquavitae.co.nz
              > >I know my Home-brew shop carries one of these, I can't remember which.
              > >Anyone tried either of them?

            • Brad McMahon
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 10, 2001
                Tom Johnson wrote:

                > second my question is about essences. if you distill tequilla using the specific
                > cactus as you mash and distill it shouldnt it be flavoured like tequilla or do
                > most distillers just make pure alcohol and then flavour it later with a additive
                > to seem like a tequilla ?
                > tj

                Are you talking about amateur or commercial distillers?

                I saw an article on TV yesterday about the rising price of
                agave cactus. A few years ago it was worth a few cents
                a kilogram. There is a shortage now and the price has
                risen to US$1.50 a kilogram.
                They were worried that because of the cost the quality
                of tequila will drop dramatically and become the cheap hooch
                it was years ago rather than the complex drink it is today.
              • ebarker@eoncc.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 11, 2001
                  With the shortage of agave, the upgrading of Tequila's being no
                  longer cut with grain alcohols, and the excess disposable money
                  in the aging baby boomer generation, Tequila prices will increase
                  and the product will become more of a high end speciality item
                  like the premium Scotch's. According to the laws of supply and
                  demand and a friend of mine that is the president of a chain of
                  mexican restaurants.

                  --- In new_distillers@egroups.com, Brad McMahon <brad@s...> wrote:

                  > Tom Johnson wrote:
                  >

                  > > second my question is about essences. if you distill tequilla
                  using the specific
                  > > cactus as you mash and distill it shouldnt it be flavoured like
                  tequilla or do
                  > > most distillers just make pure alcohol and then flavour it later
                  with a additive
                  > > to seem like a tequilla ?
                  > > tj
                  >
                  > Are you talking about amateur or commercial distillers?
                  >
                  > I saw an article on TV yesterday about the rising price of
                  > agave cactus. A few years ago it was worth a few cents
                  > a kilogram. There is a shortage now and the price has
                  > risen to US$1.50 a kilogram.
                  > They were worried that because of the cost the quality
                  > of tequila will drop dramatically and become the cheap hooch
                  > it was years ago rather than the complex drink it is today.
                • Matt
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 11, 2001
                    On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 03:33:55AM -0000, ebarker@... wrote:

                    > With the shortage of agave, the upgrading of Tequila's being no
                    > longer cut with grain alcohols, and the excess disposable money
                    > in the aging baby boomer generation, Tequila prices will increase
                    > and the product will become more of a high end speciality item
                    > like the premium Scotch's. According to the laws of supply and
                    > demand and a friend of mine that is the president of a chain of
                    > mexican restaurants.

                    in spite of all the disposable income of Yanquis and the problems with
                    agave plants contracting diseases there apparently will be a bumper crop
                    sometime around '08. there are many new plantings in the ground now.
                    2-12 months later, it will be Reposado time!

                    Matthew @ psibercom