Re: [new_distillers] I'm not going away

  • janpam ooms
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2001
      This methanol question is a tricky one, as far as i am concerned all the
      commercially produced spirits,wine and beer has methanol in it. Methanol is
      a poison but only in concentrated form, and as sending people blind, dont
      believe it, all crap unless you use radiators with soft soldered joints as
      they used to, in the old times. Regards JAN.

      >From: dball1@...
      >To: new_distillers@egroups.com
      >Subject: [new_distillers] I'm not going away
      >Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 05:14:57 -0000
      >
      >Here's a question I've never seen answered. If Methanol is poison
      >and is removed at the beginning of distillation...
      >Question: When/how is methanol removed from wine or beer?
      >
      >Here's something of interest I found on the net.
      >http://www.mstores.umich.edu/catalog/general/chemicals/ethyl_alcohol/5
      >40699.html

    • Brad McMahon
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2001
        It's not tricky at all. Methanol is a by-product of
        fermentation; more methanol is produced in fruit
        fermentation than in grains. Brewers do not remove
        the methanol in beer and wine because methanol is not
        especially toxic at low concentrations.
        You are looking at between 0.4%-1% methanol in wines
        and brandies and smaller amounts in beers.
        Distillers remove almost all the methanol in most cases.
        Ever notice how vodka produces clean hangovers and wines
        (particularly reds) give you very nasty hangovers? Methanol.
        That, and dehydration!

        Methanol is an especially nasty type of alcohol because the body tries to
        break it down the same way it metabolizes, or breaks down, ethanol, the type
        of alcohol in beer, wine and other drinks. Metabolizing ethanol produces
        chemicals less toxic to the body than alcohol. Unfortunately, if the same
        chemical action is performed on methanol the result is formic acid, lactic
        acid and formaldehyde.

        Formaldehyde attacks nerve cells, especially the optic nerve and can damage
        the liver and kidneys. Formic acid and lactic acid also attack the kidneys and
        liver. Most people who have drunk methanol die of severe and sudden kidney and
        liver failure.

        Chronic methanol drinking will cause optical damage. The stories of moonshine
        causing blindness comes from U.S. prohibition times where some bootleggers
        used to cut moonshine with methylated spirits to increase profit.

        Tony's web page has more info.

        Cheers,

        Brad