I'm not going away

  • dball1@gte.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2001
      Here's a question I've never seen answered. If Methanol is poison
      and is removed at the beginning of distillation...
      Question: When/how is methanol removed from wine or beer?

      Here's something of interest I found on the net.
      http://www.mstores.umich.edu/catalog/general/chemicals/ethyl_alcohol/5
      40699.html
    • janpam ooms
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2001
        This methanol question is a tricky one, as far as i am concerned all the
        commercially produced spirits,wine and beer has methanol in it. Methanol is
        a poison but only in concentrated form, and as sending people blind, dont
        believe it, all crap unless you use radiators with soft soldered joints as
        they used to, in the old times. Regards JAN.

        >From: dball1@...
        >To: new_distillers@egroups.com
        >Subject: [new_distillers] I'm not going away
        >Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 05:14:57 -0000
        >
        >Here's a question I've never seen answered. If Methanol is poison
        >and is removed at the beginning of distillation...
        >Question: When/how is methanol removed from wine or beer?
        >
        >Here's something of interest I found on the net.
        >http://www.mstores.umich.edu/catalog/general/chemicals/ethyl_alcohol/5
        >40699.html

      • Brad McMahon
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 6, 2001
          It's not tricky at all. Methanol is a by-product of
          fermentation; more methanol is produced in fruit
          fermentation than in grains. Brewers do not remove
          the methanol in beer and wine because methanol is not
          especially toxic at low concentrations.
          You are looking at between 0.4%-1% methanol in wines
          and brandies and smaller amounts in beers.
          Distillers remove almost all the methanol in most cases.
          Ever notice how vodka produces clean hangovers and wines
          (particularly reds) give you very nasty hangovers? Methanol.
          That, and dehydration!

          Methanol is an especially nasty type of alcohol because the body tries to
          break it down the same way it metabolizes, or breaks down, ethanol, the type
          of alcohol in beer, wine and other drinks. Metabolizing ethanol produces
          chemicals less toxic to the body than alcohol. Unfortunately, if the same
          chemical action is performed on methanol the result is formic acid, lactic
          acid and formaldehyde.

          Formaldehyde attacks nerve cells, especially the optic nerve and can damage
          the liver and kidneys. Formic acid and lactic acid also attack the kidneys and
          liver. Most people who have drunk methanol die of severe and sudden kidney and
          liver failure.

          Chronic methanol drinking will cause optical damage. The stories of moonshine
          causing blindness comes from U.S. prohibition times where some bootleggers
          used to cut moonshine with methylated spirits to increase profit.

          Tony's web page has more info.

          Cheers,

          Brad