Re: A few other easy questions!
- --- In email@example.com, "castillo.alex2008"
Again, all these questions are covered in the Information base.
1. See Boiling chips... And no, raschig rings are too expensive -
use broken up pottery pieces.
2. See Yeast / Nutrients..... Usually 3 tablespoons for a 5 gallon
wash / mash are sufficient. You can add all at once, or some like to
add 2 TBS. at beginning, then 1 TBS. 1/2 way trough.
3. See Aeration / Fermentation... Most people use an aquarium pump
and stone for 2 - 3 hours after pitching yeast. Or vigorous stirring
for about 20 minutes every couple of hours during the first day works
fine - if you arm can hold out. This adds additional oxygen during
the aerobic (lag) phase of yeast propagation and growth. See Yeast
Vino es Veritas,
Hi. When the time comes you have to do something is when you realize
that you don´t know many things. Just a few more easy questions people
(at list for tonight).
1. I´ll be needing boiling chips, I´ve heard marbles are not so good,
´cause they don´t have enough surface area (and they rattle too much).
Will it be ok using some raschig rings? (since I don´t have anything
2. I know you need nutrients for your yeast, but say for a 20L wash
what amount (not in grams, but in table or tea spoons, since I don´t
have how to measure grams at home). All at once or over two days?
3. For aereation will it be ok to swirl with a big spoon during a few
minutes? the first two days?